fruit shelf life

if fruit still looks good and smells good, is it still good? even if it’s a week, sometimes two weeks old? i’m talking mostly apples, berries, and tomatoes. i’m nervous to taste it just in case it’s gone bad, but i really just can’t tell a difference! help?

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Trust your senses…do you eat organic? If it were conventional, I would be suspicious that something had been sprayed on it to make it last longer then normal.

I’ve had certain types of organic apples that have lasted a few weeks for some reason; they still tasted fine.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

I’ve had two pears (a pair hehe)for a couple of weeks and they still haven’t ripened!I’ve been keeping them in a paper bag with various ripening bananas. They keep ripening, so I have to keep eating them!

• MOTH – yes, i do eat organic usually. not always, but most of the time. if i can get something at the local co-op or farmers market, i’ll do that, but sometimes i have to go to the grocery store, and organic there is just too expensive!!

and it’s weird because i have seen a tomato go bad… and i mean baaad… after just a couple of days, but i have three organic roma tomatoes that have been in the fridge for probably 3 weeks now and they still look and feel perfectly good! i guess i should just cut them open and go from there.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

was it in the fridge? apples last a long time but berries usually go rancid unless they were underripe. sometimes it might look ok then you bite into it and ick!

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

it’s still good, although may not be viable…. people have stored fruit like apples in root cellars for seasons, and they still taste fresh. It can still be edible/ fresh tasting, etc, but may be declining in enzymes, vitamins, etc. No expert though, lol!