OATS?

DreaDrea Raw Master

This may be a silly question…Forgive me. Is buckwheat grouts and oat groats the same thing?

I want to make oatmeal and I have Buckwheat groats…anyone?

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

No, they are two different things, sorry. However, soaked dehydrated buckweat groats are delicious, kind of like rice crispies. I am not sure how they would work for making an oatmeal like cereal. They get very slimy when soaked, you have to rinse them very well. I would soak them overnight, rinse them well in the morning and blend them and see what you think.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Sorry, they are different things. Buckwheat, as you know, is sort of triangular in shape and is actually a seed of a herb. It softens very quickly (as little as one hour) when you soak it. Oat groats however look much more like a grain of wheat and roughly the same size. They take much longer to soak.

However, you can make a porridge with soaked buckwheat but it wont have the same creamyness as porridge made with oats.

My recommendation – try blending up your soaked buckwheat with the dates and nut milk and see how it turns out. If you only make one portion it shouldnt cost too much if you dont like it.

Hope this helps. Fee

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Thanks! This helps allot! I hope the buckwheat turns out good, I have 5 pounds of it!

• FeeFee Raw Master

You can also dehydrate the buckwheat after soaking/sprouting and make buckwheaties which can then be used as a cereal like rice crispies, you can even make raw rice crispy chocolate cakes, or they can be ground into a flour for stuff. Just remember to put the lid on the blender before blending!!!