Rice Milk

Hey guys- I have to say I love this forum for all the gerat advice I’m getting! I’m not 100% raw and don’t think I ever will be but I am interested in whole, healthy and nutritional eating and there is a wealth of interesting stuff on here. I can’t get enough!

So, I don’t take dairy milk and have learnt recently that soya is full of oestrogen which contributes to the hormonal breakouts I get on and around my chin. Does anyone know the nutritional benefits of rice milk? I want to give the Rice Dream Hazlenut & Almond milk a try because it sounds yummy but I just want to know if it’s good for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• hello there – some things are harder to reproduce in a raw vegan version – like fried eggplant.. but milk from all things is so easy and simple! commercial rice milk – is usually mostly tap water (usually filtered but who know to what extent) – and usually devoid of more than minimal nutritional values – this is why they usually “enrich” it – so at least the standard FDA nutritional info will show more than 0%s.. taking into account all the excess packaging or refrigiration and the processed sweeteners they usually add to compensate for the awful flavors of rice/soy.. one has to wonder why insist on these white colored tap water and pay so much for them..

here’s a much easier and healthier alternative – get the best water you can get (from a spring or at least RO).. put in a blender a handful of macadmia nuts and a few pitted dates with a little water – blend until creamy, add rest of water, blend until smooth. that’s it. will keep a few days in the refrigerator. every few days makes a pitcher.

as you get used to a more raw based lifestyle – the “need” for milk usually desolves anyways.. good luck! -ofek

• Wow thanks Ofek, I’m definately going to try and make date milk it sounds delish! But do the dates really blend untill smooth in water? i would imagine it would turn out quite lumpy no?

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

No problem :) Your dates should get totally smooth. We like to soak ours to soften them first, for 20 minutes to 1 hour in enough water to cover them, then blend them. Soaking is not required. That is only if we have time…it blends faster and easier. Be sure to check for date pits before blending, even though labeled as pitted, they are not always removed and would hurt your blades. Medool dates are more plump and less dry as some dates at our stores. We add a touch of vanilla to our nut date milk and coconut oil also. You can vary your nuts and seeds that you use. They will all taste a little different. If you use harder nuts, it’s nice to strain the liquid to remove any chalky residue, or just add more water and blend. Also, there’s a good recipe for Nana Milk (banana milk) on goneraw…I believe it is basically bananas, water, salt and vanilla…you have to use it after making it as it will not store well, but it is yum-yum!

• Almond milk is absolutely delish! You can already buy it made, or make it yourself how rawmama said, instead just use almonds. But the Pacific brand of almond milk is the closest to raw with the fewest ingrediants (only a few, mostly almond derived). Natalia Rose recommends drinking this brand if your going to purchase it. I love having a cup of almond milk chilled with a couple squirts of agave nectar and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon. YUM!

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

“But the Pacific brand of almond milk is the closest to raw”

That statement makes no sense. All packaged almond/soy/rice milk is pastuerized at 70 deg. C at least. They certainly are not “close” to raw.

Make your own almond milk by soaking 1 cup of almonds in distilled water for 8 hours. Drain and rinse the almonds and blend in a Vitamix or Blendtec along with 2 cups of water. Pour into a fine sieve or a mesh bag and squeeze out the liquid into a bowl. Put the liquid back into the blender and add 6 dates (pits removed) and 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract. Blend again. Add 2 more cups of water and store in a glass bottle in the fridge. The left over almond pulp can be used in a variety of raw recipes.

There you have it….real RAW almond milk that tastes wonderful.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi louloubelle

I guess you understand the rice milk you mention has been cooked, but do you know how much? They’ll be likely using cooked rice to begin with, then they probably cook it again to make the milk, then it’ll be pasteurised (cooked to boiling point), ie cooked three times.

Almond milk is easy to make – honest.

You might find ths article useful:

http://debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com/2008/0…

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i clicked on this because i thought maybe it would be this question (which i have been wondering recently): is non cooked rice i buy at the store raw? could i soak that and make a milk out of it and it be raw? or is it already heat-processed?