Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fruit in Winter

As all raw foodist do, I eat tons of fruit daily. I can’t live without it!! But i’m starting to notice that the seasonal fruit is going away now! And that’s what I thrive on! What do you guys do to keep a high fruit diet in the winter time?? I don’t eat bananas, and I’m not too big a fan of apples ( only occasionally, I have to be in the mood for it)... I’m worried I won’t have enough fruit for the winter months. Suggestions??

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hm. you may have to learn to love apples. there are SO many different varieties, are you sure you dislike ALL of them?

there are also pears.

i eat much less fruit in winter though. and i eat a little steamed or dehydrator softened veggies and warmed sauces. a little bit more complex food in winter suits me fine.

• I don’t dislike them all. But eating apples all day every day will get to be too much. I forgot about the pears… I do love those.But is that really my selection in the winter??

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

frozen fruit from cascadian farms is raw.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

many citrus ripen in winter! i love grape fruit and kumquat. also: cranberry pomegranate persimmon kiwi….

too bad you don’t like banana and apples not so much… i love winter fruit all of them, just had a pomegranate in a morning and apple, pear & winter squash soup for a lunch, yum!

• Winona – Where can I buy the Cascadian Farms brand?? Is it through mail?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I don’t know what name brand stores you have in Arizona, but here in Georgia I can purchase Cascadian Farms products in the frozen section of pretty much every grocery store (WalMart, Publix, Kroger . . .) It’s usually in the organic section. If the store doesn’t have one, then I can usually find it mixed in with the regular frozen foods.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Frozen fruit is can’t replace fresh because the enzymes aren’t as active/fiber isn’t as good.

I’m thriving on pineapples, my favorite fruit.

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

persimmons persimmons persimmons persimmons persimmons! =my favorite thing about fall!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

LOVE FOOD LAUGHTER – I had never eaten persimmons until last year and I bought one to use in the base of a raw mustard. I just loved them but haven’t seen them yet this year.

PIANISSIMA – I second the pears. Fresh pear juice is my favorite. I have been making it lately and freezing the pulp to use later in smoothies. MMMmm.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

My husband WAS going to buy a pomegranate today. These were not organic. Price, 2 for $7:00. Pears, apples and maybe pineapple sound just fine.

• I moved to the tropics, this way I can always have fresh fruit!!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

eloisaweesa, www.Azurestandard.com check it out, this is where I get mine and its all organic, Rob

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Oh yea, why dont you eat bananas? Nannas are awsome! Organic bananas are not hybrid if thats why you dont eat them! When I first went fruitarian bananas are practally all I ate, that is until oranges and apples,and other fruits came into season! Rob

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

lovefood—nice to see you again. persimmons are my favorite fruit! oh my gosh. i thought we were talking “local”... for me in the northeast there are apples apples and more pears. =)

but yes, i forgot about imports. grapefruit, oranges, pomegranates. winter is certainly not fruitless. =)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Almost all frozen fruits are raw, not just Cascadian Farms. If you don’t have the money for Cascadian, get something you can afford at any grocery store.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

on winter fruits: tangerines and oranges are grown in the U.S. for most of the year, along with other citrus. Apples are stored for months and are available throughout the winter into spring. I know it can get boring with apples, but you can always toss them into the blender with spices and make raw apple sauces. Add ginger root and berries, that sort of thing. Of course, the imported stuff is great, like bananas, mmmmm.

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

I get my persimmons in chinatown because otherwise I would go broke—they sell for $2-3 per fruit minimum in grocery stores and I can never eat just one or two. But they are at least potentially local, just so you know, Pianissima!!! There’s a wild persimmon tree growing on my grandfather’s property in Virginia, which is fairly North-East. Unfortunately it hasn’t been pruned in two decades so the fruit are about 60 feet above our heads and quite unreachable. If I had a garden I would definitely plant a persimmon tree. Since they apparently require lots of root-space I don’t think they would work on my terrace in a pot.

• Does anyone have a list of what fruits are actually in season? I dont know which fruits are best eaten for winter. And I’m trying to eat to the seasons.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Schmoopee posted a link with state by state and month by month listings for fresh produce on the Raw Food Pyramid thread earlier today. Hope this is helpful.

• Cool…Thanks emtpdmom! Very helpful. I just looked at the chart and I live in cold dreary Michigan. Looks like there arent many options for us Michiganers, but as long as I have apples in my life, I should be just fine. I was also planning on transitioning back to 75-80% for winter so that I dont freeze to death. Winters are brutal, and I dont think I could last without much to choose from.

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I rather stick to fruit grown locally rather than having to import fruit all the time (can get pretty pricey).

Roadrunner ~ I don’t know why, but every since I was little, I always hated bananas growing up. The mushy fuzzy texture, the taste, the smell…. I know, sometimes I wish i loved them, and i’ve tried many a times to try and eat them and really like them, but I can’t. Life would be much more easier if I could… But I will eat any other fruit on the planet!

• Right now I am enjoying pomegranates, mango, oranges, apples and I don’t know where they come from but the cafeterai I work in still gets cantaloupe. I also buy frozen fruit at the store.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

eloisaweesa: I have the same feeling, but frozen bananas are like candy! They are so good in nut milk smoothies.

I am eating lots of grapes. I LOVE those red globe grapes, they are HUGE, with seeds (much better for cleansing with seeds), and are less sweet than regular grapes so they are much more of a refreshing, cleansing fruit. I love them. I don’t really like valencia oranges but when the naval oranges come in season I will be all over those. They are another cleansing, juicy fruit. Mangoes also rock- and melons are nice but I prefer the more cleansing fruits. Oh, and pomegranates, they are good!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Clementine season is just around the corner! Dates are also in season now as are figs (ending soon). No worries if you are using frozen organic berries, cherries and mangoes in your smoothies. Freezing does reduce the enzyme content by 25%, but it’s better than throwing out a whole container of berries due to mold this time of year. I always have a freezer full and a smoothie full in the morning. 365 organics at Whole Foods have the best price. Cascadian farms Blueberries can shoot to over $5 a small bag this time of year. Ditto on the pears!