Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello, Everyone!

Comments

• Hey Wizw-Femi9,

I was wondering, obesity is what I am battling too, are you battling it personally yourself or do you mean from a professional teacher/outreach standpoint? I have been raw 19 days so far, the weight loss is slow which has been discouraging but I am feeling so much better…I have lost 5 lbs…I read about people whom have had dramatic weight loss, mine is tougher to budge rightnow. I am sure that where I am at (sprit-mind-body) has a lot to do with it. Anyway, welcome and any wisdom you may have re obesity is welcome

• Hello,

I did post a thread in introductions, but Ill post here too.

I’ve been between 80-90% raw for about a week now. I was not a vegetarian before but I didn’t eat beef, pork or diary so at least I have less to eliminate from my diet. I also didn’t eat gluten or unfermented soy. I reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I hope to be 100% raw in a few weeks. If anyone have any tips for a newbie let me know!

• Hi, everyone

I’ Eunice from Singapore (will like to know more folks living in this small country). I had started with raw till dinner 4 months ago and switch to 100% raw last week. I feel much better after incorporating more raw food into my diet, bye bye to depression, mood swings and consitpation.

• Hi deasmiles, yes I am conquering obesity as well as assisting others with conquering it. Obesity is basically an imbalance in our cells just like any other dis-ease. Obesity is linked to genes, emotion and lifestyle. I also am losing weight ultra slow. Which can be frustrating at times. However, since we both are doing it the natural way and eating whole live foods. The body is actually replenishng itself. Which means the flab and stretch marks will be minimal. Have you done any detoxing? This is the most important step needed. You can lose weight, but the toxins need to be removed from your system.The organs need to be cleansed and revitalized. You also need to let go of some emotional baggage that is staying attached to you as a fat insulation. I am seeing you kickboxing. That may be what you need to do to assist with relasing stress. I would like to stay in contact with you. We can encourage one another. That is why I started the mission: Conquer Obesity. 

• Thank you Wize-Femi9, I wrote to you at yr email address, and yes I would love to offer support and get support on my quest for greater health and reversing obesity. Peace, deasmiles

• I think Victoria Bountenko’s website Raw Family sells videos. I really enjoy the simplicity of her books so I would imagine her videos are also good.

• hi since i am a new i wanna know what is the most useful or most good thing of raw? will it keep me young? or have very good health or??? My main wish is to have an effect to my skin, i mean to stop acne. Could u share ur experience or knowledge about how it affect to skin etc…

• Judy,

First off, while surfing the net (I have a lot time in my hands these days) I found the blog of a woman who is raw in japan www.avocadogirl.wordpress.com

Second: I haven’t read all the books that some of the people that have been doing this for a while have but,* eating raw live foods is the healthiest thing you can do for yourself. It will alkalinize your body instead of having a mostly acidic digestive tract, it will allow your body to heal itself from because most of the energy will not be dedicated to digesting food it wasn’t meant to eat*. go to Chris and Zoe’s website www.purelyraw.com and read the page How. It may answer some of your questions. I am new, this is day 23 for me and I am detoxing big time. My face is broken out, but my skin tone is changing, it is glowy…and I think the bumps are detox symptoms while the posions work their way out. Best wishes :)
    • = my opinions
  • blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

hey everyone….I posted my info already, but I can summarize again here. I live on Portland, OR and am currently about 80% raw…I don’t have a blender or food processor yet due to financial restrictions….still adjusting to the grocery bill increase! I was vegetarian off and on for years, though not so well educated and I ate a lot of sugar/white flour, etc..following that I was vegan for about a year. Recently I’ve been eating raw except for the occasional coffee or quinoa, and toasted nori…..my energy has increased dramatically, and this lifestyle change has felt completely natural so far….I plan to keep going with it simply b/c it makes so much sense and I feel amazing.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Judy, www.thegardendiet.com is a bit tempermental but it does work most of the time, definately worth another try, just give it a click!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hi! I’m Jen. I’ve been lurking around this forum for a little while now, and I thought I’d finally join up and introduce myself! :o)

I’m 37 and I live in a small town in Northern California with my hubby John and my 9-yr old son Griffin and my very cross-eyed siamese cat Lenny. I’m pretty new to living raw, but not new to the concept. I’ve been reading about it for a couple of years, seems like, and becoming increasingly drawn to this lifestyle. I hesitate to even call it a “diet,” because I really dislike that icky D-word. I prefer to look at this whole process as a journey towards ultimate health and natural energy.

I’ve been vegetarian for about 6 years and vegan off and on through that time, and I’ve been making a real effort to eat mostly raw for about a month now. I still eat one cooked (vegan) meal a day – usually dinner, sometimes lunch – but I’m starting to notice how heavy and tired it makes me feel so I think my body is really starting to acclimate to the raw fuel – and really liking it! I love that I can feel satisfied without being so full and heavy feeling. That sounds awkward… you all know what I mean, right? Heh…

My journey towards raw actually began in earnest three years ago when I got clean and sober, but I didn’t know it at the time. I thought I was just going to stop drinking because it was totally wrecking my life and my health and my sanity… but after a year or so I started feeling so much better physically I wanted to see how far I could take the whole “getting healthy” thing. I think that’s about when I started looking around online and discovered Jinjee’s website, and Shazzie’s. (Hope it’s OK to name-drop! ;o) I was blown away and inspired from the very beginning. It’s just taken a while for me to go from concept to practice. So far I am just LOVING it.

I also wanted to say (and then I’ll wrap this up… I can be a bit of a motormouth but it’s just ‘cause I’m excited! It’s the Gemini in me ;o) that I really like the atmosphere of loving support and tolerance for each individual’s path that I see here on this forum… that very thing is what’s kept me sober and in the 12-step program I’m a member of, and it’s what ultimately decided me to join up here.

Love to all!

Jen

• hi everyone. I’ve been on this site since I’ve been raw…9 days of a 100%. The last meal I had was a dominos pizza and for some reason I started surfing the net on raw vegans while I munched on pizza. After I took my last bite I decided to turn raw the next morning. I was tired of feeling tired. I have heard that you should introduce your body into raw foods but I’m a bit of an extremist. All or nothing. I’ve been on a raw high since. My detox has not been too bad. It’s like my body knew and acclimated quickly. It’s been a rough year (and it’s only May) and all kinds of bad things were happening to me (ie heartbreak, vehicle accident, robbed twice in a month,etc). I couldn’t control the things around me but I can control what goes in me. Raw foods has helped me heal physically and mentally. Everyone around me has noticed the change and that feels good. This site is an awesome support network and I’m grateful to hear everyone’s own personal journeys. I do have a concern and perhaps someone can help me out. I’m a freelancer and when I work, which is about 12-14 hour days, I get worried about eating raw. My job offers catering but everything is cooked except salads and fruit. Has anyone ever ordered raw vegan catering service like what Rawvolution (L.A. area) offers? Does anybody work crazy hours like me? 6 days a week, 12-14 hour days? I’m sure the majority of people are not crazy like me, but if there is someone out there who does, what do you do? How do you keep your body fed properly when there isn’t alot of personal food prep time? I definitely need some kind of guidance cuz it makes me nervous. I start work at the end of May and I’m wondering what I need to do stay raw and eat right when the work madness begins. I would love to hear any ideas, advice, or just plain old “you’re crazy”. Thanx. -j

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

hi mjfaerie I love your photo, I wish I could feed a baby monkey!!

I am self employed and home based for work.I know, I have got it very easy :)

My husband used to work stupid hours, in his last job he worked 12-14 hours/da. He’d take a green smoothie to work in a screwtop jar ( a giant pickle jar we threw away the pickles and just used the jar for smoothie transportation!), he’d have that for breakfast.

For lunch he’d get an avocado, tomatoes, leuttice, kale, whatever and make a big salad there at work. He had a cutting board, knife and ready made up dressing which he kept at work, and he would make his lunch every day right there at work.

When he came home he’d pile up on dehydrated food like pizza, bread and almond cheese and puddings.

Hope that helps.

• HI ! im from beeeeeeuuuuuuutiful philadelphia ! ok ok, i here you guys laughing im from philadelphia. you know, were the liberty bell is. home of a football team with a qb thats afraid of winning big games. a baseball team thats well you know… and last but not least home to 3 vegans that like to eat out! :)

<- my friend here isnt a strict vegan but does like the veggies especially the assortment of smoothies i make. and tells me to say woooof to everyone

• Thanks Zoe. I appreciate your words. I will make dressing for salads and take with me a huge tub of smoothie. I usually don’t have time to make dinner when I get home. It’s a race to sleep. On a good night I get in six hours…woohoo! I know at some point salads will drive me to tastebud boredom. I love salads…but everyday, the same thing, sounds rough. I’m sure I can get creative at work and figure it out. Hopefully the catering guys won’t give me to rough of a time. Thanks for your words!!!

• ¡Hola!
    New to this site, but very happy I have found it. Been raw for two months and loving it. Moving to Spain in July and fear it will be a great deal harder to maintain this life style. I will not be traveling with a juicer, blender, dehydrator, or processor. I am happy to have found tasty low maintenance recipes on this site… if anyone has any suggestions on how to maintain a raw lifestyle while living overseas on a limited budget, please feel free to do so!
    ¡Muchas Gracias!
    ~ T

• Hi tobizarre,

I am eating raw in southern Italy in Sicily in a small town, not easy but doable. I just do without a lot of the specialties…no agave nectar, young coconuts, durian, dulse, or any of the superfoods. I just use a handheld immersion blender and a small food processor. It can be done, also perhaps where you are moving to will have some immigrant communities, and thereby you will be able to get some exotic veggies and fruit.

If it weren’t for the Tunisian fishermen community here I would not have dates, as in Italy they are considered a seasonal item and are not sold outside of christmas. Hang in there, you will be fine. I just recently found avocado and mangoes and I can’t tell you how happy it made me. Here in Sicily where I live, I have learned gratitude and appreciation for every small thing. So even though its challenging, it can be done and it has actually enriched my life. Take care and feel free to drop me a line any time you want. I am moving back to the US in July and frankly I am glad… take care, Dea. deasmiles@yahoo.com

• Hi, I’m new to site. I’m Jackie. My husband and I have been working on raw since 11-5-06. I have been back and forth on a lot of things, but mainly because I love to cook and I’m just not getting this raw thing, with dehydrating, soaking etc. Like, when you say soak chickpeas for 3 days, on the counter, in the fridge, do you rinse them every day?

I really want to do this, I mostly get in my own way. I’ve been doing the Eat-2-Live program which has a great detox and I have about 90 pounds to lose. I love the green smoothies in the morning, I eat 2 great big salads at lunch and dinner, then I’m stuck and I get bored.

I’m glad to have found this site. Y’all seem to really explain things well.

Thanks

• I started eating raw, believe it or not, on Thanksgiving day, 2006, at a place called Raw Soul in Harlem, NYC. It was an unbelievable meal that my sister dragged me too. I was completely incredulous. Ever since that time, I’ve been raw about 3-5 days a week, with the exception of the week I went to Spain and ate junk.

I love eating raw and I’m very lucky to live in a place that has tons of raw store and restaurants. I am trying to prepare more stuff at home. I bought a juicer in February, that helped a lot.

For the first time, I bought saw raw Tahini and raw almond butter. I make a Goji and raw almond smoothie almost every day. I LOVE goji berries. They really help my mood.

I haven’t the faintest idea of what to do w/ the Tahini though… I guess this website will help.

Anyway, I reallly feel like eating raw helps my body to do what it’s supposed to do, function optimally and heal itself from it’s ails. I have horrible allergies…maybe one day they will clear up. I just started using alkaline drops in my spring water with profound results. In just a few days, the cleansing effect has been amazing! (I’m a supplement freak)

Lastly, I lost two dress sizes by going raw. I’m totally ecstatic about that! My metabolism had slowed down to a crawl, even with the yoga I practice and I had picked up weight. Now I look fine again ;-)

Happy to be here!

• Hi! I’m Jenna, and I’ve been lurking for a while around the forum (and LOVING the recipes), but figured it was time I introduced myself. I’ve been raw for around 5 months, and it has been the best experience of my life! I can never imagine going back to eating SAD. I’m from Orange County, CA, I recently graduated from college and used some of my grad money to buy raw-friendly kitchen appliances (I don’t know how I made it this far without a food processor!)..so now I’m stoked to add many more recipes to my repertoire..and hopefully add some of my own to the site. Peace :) Jenna

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Welcome jkvetter, thewreckoning, and Jenna. So nice to meet you! Blessings on your raw journey!

• Hello everyone! I ahve been reading and using all of the recipes on the site for a while now and decided to finally log in and join. I am from Tennessee but recently moved to kansas. I am about 80% raw right now. I am doing it slow. Yes I was B.A.D (Black American Diet) and S.A.D! Being from the south, if you did not fry it or have pig fat in it then you might as well forget it! I decided to change my diet to make sure I am as healthy as I can be. Thank you everyone that has posted recipes! They have been very great! My husband has not jumped on board to be raw but maybe one day!

• devittlesdevittles Raw Newbie

Hello. I’m Jeanette and I have been 100 % raw for 7 weeks. I am in love with it. I feel lucky to be in new york city, because there are so many raw resources around, its been an easy transition. Before going raw I was vegan for 7 years and vegetarian for 10 years before that.

i got into raw food through my interest in fasting and natural healing. I heard an interview with dr. joel fuhrman and afterward did a zero calorie fast, healing myself from an unnamed illness (foggy head, tired all the time, headaches, monthly sore throats & infections, minor skin infections) that had been plaguing me for months.

then i found jubb’s longevity in nyc and did the 14 day gallbladder cleanse/flush. I recommend it, if you haven’t already done it. It’s a wild ride.

i’m glad this site is here. Thanks for having me. :)

Welcome Eattolive and devittles! Glad to have you here!

• Hello! I’m at Lake Tahoe, California. Joined up with this website today, even posted a little creation. I am a Foodie, and love to try new things. Today I’ve eaten RAW and feel good. The recipes on this site are so amazing! I ordered a dehydrator so I could get started on my RAW, uncooking? We’ll see how my path continues.

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Celiac Disease and Lactose Intolorance. I like the idea of RAW eating and all the benefits. Can anyone reccommend the best books for making the switch? Thanks!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

12 Steps to Raw Foods by Victoria Boutenko… I posted on that sometime ago…

...and Welcome! I saw your half-eaten veggie rolll pictured. :o)

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Hi all! Im new to this raw thing. Started 9 days ago just planning on being raw the days i do yoga, well , i found i loved yoga so now my three days has stretched to four , to five, ect….so here i am going raw cold turkey so to speak. I love to cook so the creativity appeals to me, however I gotta say, its way more time consuming than regular meal planning! I find I obsess about food all day(do i have these nuts soaked to make sudhch and so?”), any suggestions on food planning for the week? I mean 6 hours in a dehydrator? im gone at least 8 hours per day….hmmm, i know i can do this but would love some tips. I plan on being totally raw for three months, if i loose to much weight or feel cruddy, im going back to my veggie ways…either way its gonna be a fun ride!

• Thanks so much Germin8! I’ll totally check out that book. That roll was amazing, totally fixed my sushi craving. Cheers.

Welcome Omshanti and Kirjo!

Omshanti, Are you on my myspace group for reiki? I recognize the name, but your picture is different (if it is you…LOL!)

A helpful thing for me to do when I went raw was to soak one dehydrator tray’s worth of almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds on one day of the week, and dehydrate over that night (did that make sense?). I usually do this on Sunday’s, so that by Monday I had all the nuts I would need for the week. This helped me tremendously because I always had recipes I wanted to try but before I got organized I wouldn’t have the nuts, so I would revert to cooked food.

As far as dehydrating goes, I do alot on weekends, too. Also, if I do dehyrate during the week if I am not going to be home, even if the recipe says to dehydrate for 6 hours, I decrease the temp. and dehydrate for longer.

Hope these tips help!

• Okay, I am jumping in here with both feet and hoping that going raw is the answer for me. I am exhausted, overweight and suffer with chronic pain from fibromyalgia and IBS. I have tried EVERYTHING (traditional doctors/medications to acupuncture and chiropractic). Three things seem to help: massage therapy, swimming, and the sun! After years of reading everything I can on the subject and consulting hundreds of websites for advice, it keeps coming back to the same thing: MAYBE it’s what I am eating (or not eating?)I do eat lots of fruits and vegetables and raw nuts. What I would love to hear from others is if they may have had an improvement in their health issues by going raw. I feel as if you guys are much healthier and happier and your attitudes are awesomely upbeat! Can a 50 year old make the switch and see results?? I have an incredibly supportive husband who says he’s all for it. By the way, all of my efforts to alter our food choices and lose weight and feel better have resulted in HIS loss of 60 lbs. and becoming a lean machine! (that figures!) Me? Well, I lost about 20 lbs.(hmmm) All I want is to get back the energy I used to have. Any suggestions for getting started? I did order a book and as soon as it arrives, I’m ready to go! Thanks for listening!