Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

trouble digesting raw bread

Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi everyone

I know we all think about digestion a lot— Um…

I made my first batch of onion bread, and I was thrilled with the results. I also made cheese with spring onions. I loved it!!

My stomach/GI system felt a bit troubled, but I diddnt want to think it was the bread. I’ve been making sandwiches with it and the cheese for a couple of days. Now I am royally messed up!

Could it be all of the nuts and seeds? I feel horrible and am half tempted to throw the rest of it away.

anyone else experience this?

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yes, everytime I eat dehydrated stuff, my body complains in a very loud manner.

• yeah, i totally did too. I haven’t cut out nuts totally; still ok in cookies and butter for me. But if I eat them for a snack alone (like pumpkin seeds) I get gassy and bound up. The onion bread did this and made me a little nauseated. I also made Matt Amdenson (sp) raw stuffing which was SOOOO good but made me feel like crap (gut wise). I tried posting a query on nuts (“what a nut”), but only one person answered.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

That is toooo bad! I was so excited about making breads and crackers. I’ll have to search for one that has less seeds/nuts. If I don’t no one will want to be around me… lol!

• I did experience the same, onion bread it is just not for me nor for my stomach, too much seeds, especially the flax seeds in my case are very heavy on my stomach.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

It sounds like you have been eating a lot of the bread. Maybe just try it once every few days and freeze what you don’t need right away.

that’s a thought Beany. I did probably eat too much of it. I just “cook” for myself… probably should cut the recipes in fourth!

• The first time I ate crackers made of flax seeds I felt the same. Now unfortunately I can eat a lot of them, and a lot of onion bread too. I say “unfortunately” because I am trying to stay low fat, and when there is onion bread in the dehydrator it is just impossible.

So maybe you will get used to it too?

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi

I too love onion bread, and have even posted a recipe for it recently on my blog.

However…no, it’s true, these sorts of foods aren’t generally great for the digestion.

But I think they serve a purpose. In mimicking the cooked foods we’ve left behind they take care of any desires we might have had for them. Also, they’re very tasty! So it minimises the chances of psychological feelings of ‘deprivation’ on the raw food diet. And, when we overeat on them, and our stomachs feel heavy and burbly, we’re encouraged to make our raw diets just a little simpler in future!

Silver lining to every cloud.

• ahhh… so thats why I’ve been feeling like sh!t.. no pun intended. For a while there I was eating at least one small piece of sprouted bread a day, as well as lots of almonds, sunflowers and pumpkin seeds…... uugghhhh, I must move somewhere warm! Manitoba Canada is a bit .. brutal for the raw lifestyle.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

If you are talking about Matt Amsden’s Onion Bread recipe, It has the same effect on me. People bring it to our Potluck and everytime I eat any I regret it.

What is in it?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Man that onion bread is just way too hard on anyone’s digestive system! Flax seeds and sunflower seeds will not process through me no matter what. For me, I just can’t eat a piece or two. It’s two addictive for that. For me, I digest nuts better when they are truly raw and soaked in probiotics for two days. I will be posting some bread and cracker recipes that don’t have seeds or grains in them. My diet consists of nuts and fruits, and lots of juices.

PS sid23, more people answered than you probably noticed on that thread.

Has anyone noticed that, even though nuts are heavier and richer, they actually digest a lot better than seeds which appear light on the outside but just don’t digest? I have read articles that state seeds weren’t meant for human consumption. It’s just a thought, because I can’t digest any seeds at all. Look at this, for example. It’s a forum from a Raw Wai Diet website. Look at the last response, made by the administrator. I couldn’t get the link to work but just google “wai says seeds” and click the first result called “WaiTalk.com What about Chai seeds”. The last response is the administrator of the site and that’s the one you want to look at.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I have trouble digesting raw onion anyway… But when I had a dehydrator I used to make a flax and carrot/sweetpotato craker that was mostly shredded veg. If you make the shreds nice and long (maybe with a spiraliser, but I never thought of trying that) then they hold together well when dehydrated, kind of like they weave together.?

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I stopped having problems with sunflower seeds and flax seeds when I quit eating them dry.

I soak all my flax at least 1 hour to wake it from dormancy and then wet grind it in the blender with it’s soak water and extra water added. This makes a thick cream that be used as a base for any bread/crust/cracker you want. It will not bother your tummy at all.

I wash/rinse my sunflower seeds very well then soak for 4 hours minimum in good water. Then drain and use within 48 hours. These can be used to replace any nut in any Raw Food recipe and when done properly always tastes better than the nut it is replacing. These also will not bother your tummy.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I have trouble with nuts but no problem with sunflower or flax seed. They never bother me at all.

Nuts just seem to make me feel weird and bloated and then when they, ahem, come out the other side they’re perfectly intact. So, I think I can’t digest them. ha

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Chris reminded me, the flax seeds I used were always well soaked, usually for about and hour whilst I did other stuff, I never ground them, but that makes good sense as it would open up their tough, shiney little shells for you :-) I never had probs after eating them.

TJAB ! If they come out perfectly intact are you chewing them?! remember your stomach doesn’t have teeth!

Hmm, really, coz I have tried lots of times to soak flax and grind it in a smoothie and it doesn’t do very well for me. I always soak all my seeds even when I make crackers but I just don’t process them. I suppose everyone really is different!

I will try to make a small batch again, this time soaking the seeds well. I did not soak them at all last time (bad!)

RawKid, you mentioned that you soak stuff in probiotics. Is it a powder you add to water? Do you think it makes a big difference in getting rid of enzyme inhibitors?

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I made a few different types of flatbreads and crackers a while ago. They all made me feel like I had swallowed a fist. I couldn’t drink enough water to get them to pass through my system in any less than about three days. They all tasted nice, for a cracker or two, but they were so heavy that I turned to veggie sticks to scoop up my hummus and other dips. After a few weeks, I chucked out the remaining crackers. The next time I experiment with flatbreads or crackers, I will use a predominantly vegetable based batter, rather than one made of nuts, seeds and flax. On a raw diet, our bodies become accustomed to eating high water content fruits and veggies. To add super dense breads to the mix will only slow down the digestive process of whatever’s in the stomach, creating bloating, upset and constipation. To ease the constipation after consuming too many crackers, I’d suggest drinking lots of water and taking 1-2 Tb of cold pressed oil before bed (to grease the tract), every night until the constipation passes.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

how much of the onion bread are you eating in a day? I love it, but notice if i eat too much it has a laxative effect.

yes it’s a powder. It doesn’t make a big difference in getting rid of enzyme inhibitors (that alone can be achieved just be soaking overnight) but if you want a really light, totally digested and digestible nut it does make a difference.

Chicory, I was having one sandwich a day, so two pieces, about palm size (w/o fingers).

RawKid, what is the brand name for the powdered probiotic that you use?

I use acidophilus, a specific strain of bacterial cultures. You can buy any brand, as all bacterial cultures are raw.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

springleaf-haha, I chew them but the chewed pieces come out perfectly intact. They aren’t broken down at all by my stomach acid or digestive enzymes. So I don’t think I get much out of them nutrition wise.