Are Radish Leaves Juiceworthy?

1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I bought a beautiful, fresh bunch of red radishes. For once, the leaves attached looked firm and green, not waterlogged and murky. I washed the radishes separately, then soaked out the dirt from the leaves and stems. I searched radish leaves online and apparently they are edible, but bitter. Has anyone tried juicing them or adding them to green smoothies? Is the taste decent, or are the leaves too bitter to be enjoyable? I don’t want to potentially wreck my juice tomorrow, so does anyone have experience with it?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

they are absolutely. not only that, they are the most nutritious part of the plant according to victoria boutenko. i also add them to my green smoothies.

taste wise—if you are sensitive to chlorophyll-flavor, or bitterness, add some carrot and lemon and/or orange to it to mute the “green” taste.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Cool – I didn’t even know they were edible! :)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Woo-hoo! Bonus! I’ll try them this weekend! Thanks so much! I’m always surprised to see people hack off the leaves of vegetables they buy and discard them (ie. beet greens, broccoli leaves). I have a friend who loves chard leaves, but cuts away the stems and throws them out, because they are too fibrous. What a waste. They can be juiced. The smaller ones can also be diced finely and added to salads. I wish there were a comprehensive list of produce items with information as to what parts of the plant are safe to eat and what are not.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

Yes, that would be nice to know all edible parts of a plant. I would also like to know how to juice some different fruits and vegetables. Like which ones I can put in whole, which ones need to have skins removed, seeds, and what not. Like cantaloupe, who knew to leave the seeds and the rind intact when juicing? A guide to juicing.. I’m sure its out there, just need to research it.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I followed rosehebrew’s advice to put cantaloupe seeds (and their accompanying gooey gunk) into the blender with some water. I pureed, then strained it and drank it. It was pretty uninteresting on its own, but would have been a nice substitute for water in a smoothee or blender soup. I’d never have known those seeds were useful. I’d love to know the nutritional data on these lesser known parts of plants.