Organic nuts or not

So I am reading Rawsome right now and the author (Bridgette something) says that nuts are ok non-organic because there is little pestiside in them or on them or whatever. What do you guys think? Do you get organic nuts and seeds or non-organic?

Thanks!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I used to buy non organic nuts and they were pretty horrible. And not all nuts are even raw. I gave up nuts for months but I recently tried some raw organic Italian almonds, and they are delicious, nothing like any almonds I have ever had before. It is best to soak and sprout all your nuts whether they are organic or not. It makes them so much more nutritious and easier to digest.

• If the choice is organic and non organic I choose organic, just my preference. And Zoe is right, not all nuts are raw even the ones that say they are raw.
    Raw almonds are not raw at all thanks to a bunch of freaks in California FDA. But the Organic Raw Farmers are fighting it in court as we speak.

The ones you find at the store that say they are raw are steamed.

Right now I use them cuz I love almonds but in December I’m taking a trip to California to see friends and you CAN buy raw almonds from the growers out there but only a hundred pounds a day per person. How stupidly ridiculous is this law. But since I’m driving I’m picking up like 2-3 hundred pounds to bring back. Making a list here in Dallas of the people who want some.

Ok getting off my raw nut soap box now, sorry.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I don’t usually buy organic nuts & seeds, unless that’s my only raw option or there’s not a big difference in price, because being raw is a higher priority for me than organic, and I don’t have enough money to do both all the time. Ideally everything would be raw, organic & grown in my backyard. That hasn’t happened yet. :)

• My big question is on walnuts- organic or not? That’s the nut I use the most (for the high omega 3).

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’d say for walnuts, yes organic if it looks good. Sometimes even organic nuts can look iffy.

The problem with walnuts is that if they’re not organic then they are often gassed with sulphur to make them a blonde colour which is apparently more attractive.

Make sure your walnuts are darker coloured. Organic ones usually taste the best. Always soak them too, it makes them taste great.

I think I am right in saying that hemp seeds are a better source of omegas because they have the whole range of omegas in exactly the right ratio for humans. Walnuts don’t have the whole range like hemp do.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I am getting these Transitional Organic Raw Cashews from Real Raw Food which taste amazing, and when they are soaked, they don’t ferment like Sunfood’s cashews do. If you are buying from a place like Trader Joe’s, I wouldn’t trust that they are even raw, never mind organic. I don’t believe a trustworthy raw company would sell non-organic nuts. If you buy the really raw ones online, they are always organic. About actually eating non-organic ones, I wouldn’t do it. I want to keep my diet as pure as possible.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

sid23, I like my nuts to be organic if possible(or at least grown organically), because more chemicals are being used on nuts now than in the past. It depends on what kind of nut and where it is being grown. Some states will dump a load on their pecan trees, for example, and others won’t. That’s another good reason to source out your nut suppliers and contact them directly instead of relying on a store.

• Thanks all!