Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green smoothies for 30 days

I will be starting November 3rd… drinking green smoothies for 30 days .3-5 litres per day should be sufficient , I will also be drinking wheat grass juice and rejuvalac .I am aiming for a 15 pound weight loss in that time ,I would start sooner except that I have an all day raw class to attend ( including a 100% raw lunch ) that I am planning to enjoy .So Monday will be day 1 , any suggestion will be greatly appreciated . If anyone wants to join in with me ….please do !!!

Thank you

Comments

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Very good first step toward health and long life!

Advice #1, don’t become confused by conflicting opinions on nutrition. Believe me, everything you hear, someone else will disagree with it. Listen to your body and eat lots of greens to start. Keep it simple and keep an open mind.

Is this a crash diet or a permanent lifestyle change? If a permanent lifestyle change give yourself permission to eat cooked food, a little bit a day or, like I used to (and still sometimes do) have craving Sunday! Write down all the things you crave all week and then on Sunday try to eat as many of them as you can. It’s a powerful psychological tool. You tell yourself, well, I can’t have it now but I will have two on Sunday!

It’s important to try to eat as much of the craving foods as you can the first couple of Sundays so you will really be convinced that you are getting it on Sunday. As the weeks go along, your cravings get less and you start to crave more healthy treats.

It sounds nuts, but it worked for me.

Keep a food journal. I used thedailyplate.com but there are many online, or just use paper and pencil.

Best of luck and best of health and happiness to you on your journey. I’m glad you’re here!

• Thank you for the warm welcome ,This is a lifestyle change I have been 100% raw for the last 5 months and then fell of the 100% raw wagon .I am now having a hard time getting back on again .This is why I am planning the green smoothie feast . I have allready lost over 30 pounds with about 20 pounds to go .

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Ungrateful, your Craving Sunday is a marvellous idea!

Congrats on the weight loss, R&H. I have been oh, 85% to 99% since about June. Nothing cooked tastes as good as raw feels.

Oh, yes, cheerydeb, I love craving Sunday. It’s not my idea, I got it from my fasting coach (shh, don’t tell him he’s my coach, he might start charging me!), but it REALLY works. It could be any day, I suppose but when you do weekly fasts, you are supposed to stock up on high fat and “forbidden” foods so your bod will have something to work on when you start the fast and not go straight for heart muscle, lol.

I do it Sunday because that is the day I am traditionally with family, in social eating (and drinking) situations and that was the day I would start my weekly fasts.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I was thinking of doing the same thing – so count me in!!!! Not for any particular reason other than I fell off the wagon and am ready to get back on. :-)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I might be joining you…

Newbie – i fell of the wagon too… not majorly, but enough to not feel good about my decisions. Raw&Healthy – we should post our juice/smoothie recipes for the day so that others can try ours… I’m always looking for some good juices/smoothies…I did the 7 day diva detox diet and felt great. I was somewhere this weekend where i couldn’t eat anything raw and i kinda fell off the wagon again! I’m find when i’m in my own environment and really thinking about it. I need to lose some weight still, so this will help! I feel so god on Green smoothies! I’ll check back on Monday…

All this wagon-falling-off. You’d think they’d put better rails on the wagons…

:D

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’d totally join except I plan on feasting(raw-ly) on Thanksgiving. I can’t not eat ANYTHING during the holidays. I fulling intend to stay raw with perhaps a few cooked vegan items here and there.

So, Maybe I’ll do this in January…

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

I’m having a lot of family over and I just can’t not eat at Thanksgiving. Do you think we could call that a official off day or craving not-Sunday? I think Thanksgiving will be hard for lots of people. Otherwise I’d love to.

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

P.S. Is rejuvalac supposed to smell bad? I mean WAY stinky?! I’ve made it a couple of times with different wheat and PU!

• I have thought about doing a fast like this recently myself—but don’t have a juicer yet. Are you using a juicer for this? It would probably be pretty difficult with a blender or processor and nut milk bag.

• I don’t think it would be difficult without a juicer….I make green juices everyday with a food processor and mesh bag. It works SO well…I destroy the kitchen when I use the juicer and not so much when I use this method.

• Carrie 6292 --It would be fun to post the green smoothies that we are making sure lets do it !!!!.

randommara —-I find that when first starting rejuvalac it smells like dirty socks …then it starts to mellow out and smell more like yeast .”Oh” Thankgiving I forgot !!! I live in Canada so we had ours last month .I will start on Monday and every one else can jump in when the time is right .

Jadams — I will be doing green smoothies , not a juice feast , a blender will be just fine .If anyone would rather do a juice feast instead of green smoothies that would be great …..whatever works for you is fine .

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I thought everyone here did started the day with a raw green smoothy. I do. I don’t know why you would limit it to one month. I don’t know why you are stepping on the scale. It isn’t a happiness meter. If I had 15 pounds to lose, I’d focus on learning how to eat right first. It doesn’t matter if you lose the weight then turn around and regain it. And the ups and downs are hard on a body.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

itourist. This is not just one smoothie a day. It’s only smoothies(green) for an entire month without any other eating.

• itourist – obviously wanting to lose weight is a sign of realizing one needs to eat healthier.

i do eat healthy – i’m a raw vegan. I was on some meds that prevented me from losing weight and caused me to gain… i’m focused on FEELING better in all ways. I feel great when i’m eating/drinking more greens. That’s why i’m going to be joining raw&healthy – it’s nice to have someone to support you while doing something like this. A smoothie is nothing more than a blended meal. I get more minerals and nutrients by doing a smoothie, so i feel better. I will have a problem at thanksgiving, so i’ll probably just have a salad for my thanksgiving meal, or something similar (without oils, salts, nuts, etc…).

Have you ever used Collards in a smoothie? I have a whole bunch right now and i’ve never tried blending them.

• Hey there raw&healthy! I want to join you and carrie6292. So, just green smoothies for 30 days? Sounds awesome! I’m sort of new to all of this. I saw your post last night and I thought I would just try a green smoothie to see if I could do it and it was great! I don’t have a juicer yet. Does anyone know if you can just blend the wheatgrass whole into a smoothie? Is it good for you? I agree with carrie I am so happy when I eat my greens. Green is GOOD. Lets do it and don’t be discouraged by negativity. All of us are raw for one reason or another and we all have different goals. If 15 pounds will get you into your favorite jeans and put a smile on your face, why not? Being healthy and happy can mean a myriad of different hings.

• Hi carrie6292 and pure and simple

Thank you for being so positive. What I do with the wheatgrass is I put in blender with water and strain in a nut milk bag .I also do not have a wheatgrass juicer and I don’t think a regular juicer will work .Pure and simple thank you for wanting to join in with Carrie6292 and myself and anyone else that wants to give it a try .

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

The Green Star juicer can juice wheatgrass, though I haven’t tried growing my own at home. My understanding of wheatgrass is that it is very tough on the stomach. Cows have 4 stomachs to help break down very fibrous grasses. That’s the reason we only find wheatgrass in its juiced form. Raw&healty’s idea of blending, then straining it sounds like a good experiment to try. Are you growing your own wheatgrass? I read somewhere that barley grass is as healthy as wheatgrass. I’d like to try that sometime. Has anyone else tried it, or kamut or spelt grasses? I wonder if a mixed juice of these would be a true power cocktail?

1Sweetpea – I have a mix of juice powders (they are raw) that includes all of these juices that your speaking of. I’m going to have to remember to use it – i used to use it frequently and i cleaned off my counters and forgot i have it :) I just went to my natural foods store and looked for barley powder and wheatgrass powder and came across this “whole foods/raw” powder. I can’t get wheatgrass in it’s whole form here, so i do buy the flash frozen stuff – it comes in cubes and you take 2 cubes per day. Not sure if your trying to lose weight or not, but wheatgrass is supposed to help with that. I wonder if you took your own wheatgrass to a juice bar, if they’d be willing to juice it for you…

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hi All

I have been doing green smoothies one or 2x day since listening to Rawkathon 10/19 through 10/26… I got all fired up! :) I have also cut down on the nuts and fats I have been eating.

I do notice I have more energy and mental clarity.

Yay!

QT

QT – i wasn’t able to tune in (i signed up, but i just couldn’t tune in), but i agree, i have such mental clarity while doing the smoothies. I’m not as irritated or bothered by little things. I just feel so much better doing mostly smoothies. I also cut down on my fat intake – although, as i type this i’m eating Ani Phyo’s mediteranean dolmas (sun dried tomatoes, raisins, dill, pine nuts and olive oil), so i’m eating the nuts for this meal. I’ve been craving this dish and i figured i’d better have it before monday :)

• itourist-This is a lifestyle change for me . I have been 100% raw for 5 months during that time I have lost 30 pounds without even trying .However I fell of the 100% wagon ( I am now 85% raw) but this is not cutting it for me .I don’t feel as well as I did when I was 100% raw .Therefore by doing the green smoothies I know that I will be able to get to 100% again , sort of like a kickstart . and if I can get to my goal weight by doing that , then that is a bonus .

• Sorry carrie6292 -

I wasn’t saying that you’re not healthy (nor raw&healthy). I was just defending reason for wanting to lose weight as I found itourist’s remark rather rude. Sorry for the confusion!

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

Hi Carrie6292, I have found blended kale to be nasty. I have read that fruits have a higher detoxifying effect that vegetables. I wouldn’t want to exclude those myself for a month. I saw benefits this summer when I started including bananas in my diet. Breakouts,the three or so pimples I’d get monthly, seemed to disappear….more minerals and vitamins for your body to do what it is suppose to.

• Hey there guys! I’m so excited for tomorrow. I’m so glad raw&healthy started this. Before I read this thread I was pretty aprehensive about green shakes. I looked at a few different sites, found some green smoothie recipes and tried them. WOW! I used to buy kale because I know it’s so good for me but, couldn’t find a way to prepare it so sad to say most of the time it would go to waste. Not now, today I made a green smoothie with kale and had to make it 3 times the size cause my family wanted me to share!

I hope carrie, raw&healthy, and others will check in fequently so we can encourage each other, share recipes, and talk about our tranformations wheather that be physical, mental or spiritually. I work in the grain industry and the wheat we get isn’t GMO so, Carrie if you want me to send you some berries just let me know and I’ll give you my e-mail.

I can just see me or whoever at Jamba Juice in line carrying thier own tray of grass. THAT would be funny. People already think I’m crazy enough! I think I’ll use the nut mylk bag idea. I won’t be around for two days but I’ll be checking in.

• Well today is the day !!!! I am happy that you are so excited about the green smoothies pure and simple .I am also very excited and “yes” my family loves green smoothies as well .

The advanced all day raw food course was yesterday and it gave me all the motivation I need and then some ,The food was very delicious .

I will be checking in at the end of the day or the next morning to report how my day has gone .

Have a great day !!!

• D’you mind if I join in on this festival of green love? :) I had a fantastic smoothie today – Two asian pears and a large bunch of swiss chard. It was extremely delicious, creamy, pear whipped cream. The lady who’s orchard I picked these pears from is the first raw foodist I’ve met. she said she’s been raw since she was seven years old! She had an abundance of peacocks – magnificent dazzling astounding birds!! OHH… I just realized why these pears are so outta this world, they’re fertilized with none other than peacock sh#$! :D

Thanksgiving will be difficult…A trick I’ve found helpful is to say to myself – “Yes, the smell of these foods are delightful, but I will not eat them because the health of my body and clarity of my mind is more important to me than mere momentary sensory pleasure.” I’ve even gone so far as to lift a pie to my sniffer, inhale deeply, and bask in the scentual pleasure of smelling but NOT eating – it’s actually very fulfilling, I meat, eat the pie – it’s gone forever into the abyss. BUT sniff the pie…the undernotes of nutmeg and cinnamon…the crusty, pastry flour delight – and you can sniff for as long as you damn well please, with no guilt. it’s really empowering, try it and tell me I’m not the only one who does this? ;]

• Stormy-rose ….. You are more than welcome to join us . The green smoothie you made sounds delicious , I will have to try it . I went shopping for greens a few days ago but because I live in Alberta Canada and it is fall , there were very few things to pick from . I will have to keep on looking .

Day 1 green smoothies

I drank about 5 litres of green smoothies and still felt a bit hungry .I was heavy on the fruit in the green smoothies but I think that today should go better.After day 3 or so it will be smooth sailing .

I have decided to test my PH I don’t know if that is important or not ? and if anyone else does it ?. Yesterday at 7am I tested …..urine -7.2 .I am not going to worry about my weight until after the 30 days . I will get more in tune with my body and my body will tell me how I feel .