Whoa, I almost poisened myself! (Taro)

I so loved taro milk boba (bubble tea) and when I saw taro root at the store I thought I might be able to make a raw version with chia. Apparently taro is so poisonous raw that it can cause death! They really shouldn’t sell it raw in stores without a warning. You never see rhubarb with the poisonous greens at the supermarket. Well in case anyone had my idea I wanted to warn them. I’ll just have to think of an alternative.

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Wow! I was not aware of that because I usually stay away from heavy roots like sweet potatoes, turnips, etc. Thank you for the warning and be careful! :)

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Hey, you know, if you want that poi/taro taste, blend cashews with rejuvelac water (recipe on this site) and let it sit for a while in the fridge and eventually you will get this sweet but tangy kind of taste that really tastes like poi to me. That might work. I make my rejuvelac out of brown rice, I haven’t tried any other grain.

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hi Rawsiki

How do you make the brown rice rejuelac?? I am gluten intolerant so have not done the traditional one with wheat grass.

Thanks in Advance for Letting Me Know!:)

QT

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

oh I want to know too Rawsiki also is there gluten in a shot of wheatgrass?

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Rawsiki: My rejuvelac always comes out super stinky! Can you give us some info on how you make yours with rice? Does it smell rank when done or just nice and yeasty? I so want to make your cashew stuff.

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Mine always smells nice and yeasty sweet. Kind of reminds me of the nutritional yeast smell. Okay, so, here’s what I do:

1) Pour about a cup of brown rice into a sprouting jar.

2) Rinse with clean water. Then pour fresh water back in about 3 times as much water to rice.

3) Put the see-through lid on nice and tight.

4) Let the jar sit in a dark area for 2 days. Or until it smells sweet and yeasty.

5) After 2 days, pour the rejuvelac into a separate jar and store in fridge. Will keep nicely for a while.

Randommara-it probably comes out stinky because you leave it out for too long or you leave it in a really warm area. If it’s in a really warm area, you don’t need to soak the rice for that long.

Vegan2raw-I don’t think there’s any gluten in the actual grass of the wheat berries. But, you better research to make sure.

Hope I helped :)

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Thank You Rawsiki for posting this… I will definitely try it!

To vegan2raw – I talked with Hippocrates Health Institute about being Celiac and whether I could have their wheat or barley grass juices/sprouts… and they told me they would never give that to anyone gluten intolerant. So I don’t partake in the gluten grasses or sprouts their of.

QT

Thanks for the recipe Rawsiki!! I’ll start it on Sunday.

• FOR THE RECORD:

Tarot Root comes from a Popular Plant usually known as “Elephant Ear” because its large leaves, which can grow to an astoundingly HUGE size, do sort of resemble the ears of elephants.

I have some growing in my garden, in fact. A neighbor’s dog used to dig it up frequently, which distressed her because she was worried that her dog might die/get really sick from it. She didn’t seem to care that her dog ALSO kept killing my plants and made a big mess in my yard. Oh, well, She tried to convince me to dig up ALL of my E.E. Plants, in fact.

I can tell you that her dog never did seem to be affected by it - but that is not an accurate barometer of how toxic it might be.

Just want to warn you that this plant MAY be found in gardens, and, indeed, it can be a BEAUTIFUL addition to them !

A word of caution, therefore. I myself drove my mother nuts because I had discovered Castor Oil Bean Plants had hollow stems, and tried to use them as ‘straws’ and make ‘flutes’ out of them… as a young kid. Horrified my mother because they, too,. are famously Very Toxic ! She DID dig up the tall and pretty C.O.B. Plants at once !

Oh, well - How about Olives ? Can’t be eaten UNLESS they are treated with a Lye Bath ! Some foods simply MUST be ‘treated’ and processed or they are inedible, if not poisonous ! Eating Raw means NOT eating SOME foods that otherwise CAN BE EATEN if NOT eaten raw !

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

FYI on making rejuvelac: “sweet brown rice” is the only kind of rice that is raw & will sprout. A lot of people have rejuvelac go bad because they use tap water when rinsing, soaking or sprouting the grain, and chlorine in the water kills the beneficial bacteria that is trying to be grown in the rejuvelac. Use only clean (i.e. filtered, spring, distilled, etc.) water & see if that helps.

gourmet gormand vegan: Great info, thanks! Salt cured olives are ok right?

Angie: Thanks for the awesome tip! I bet that’s exactly what I did wrong! I usually rinse things with tap water and then give a final rinse with bottled. It makes perfect sense that that’s the wrong way to go. I’m working on getting a couple of Aquasana filters for my place soon.

gourmet gormand vegan: Great info, thanks! Salt cured olives are ok right?

Angie: Thanks for the awesome tip! I bet that’s exactly what I did wrong! I usually rinse things with tap water and then give a final rinse with bottled. It makes perfect sense that that’s the wrong way to go. I’m working on getting a couple of Aquasana filters for my place soon.

• OMG! Glad I checked too as I had bought a couple of them. I see that I can make them into taro chips, but I am going to cook them and make roasted tarro curry.