How to hull pumpkin seeds?

CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Does anybody know how to hull pumpkin seeds? I recently aquired a baggy full of them :) We are having a pumpkin carving contest at work and I told everybody they can bring me their seeds jokingly, so far one woman already has :)

I totally forgot they don’t come hulled though :( So used to buying them in the store. So, what is the easiest way to hull these suckers without killing them?

Comments

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

bump, anyone?

Only way I found was to use a rolling pin over them then put them in water so the seeds sink and the hull floats to the top, it would seem though that may damage the seed with the rolling pin and would require immediate sprouting as well since the seeds become soaked.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Can’t you soak to get the slime off, season (if you want) and dehydrate them whole? I ate roasted seeds in the shells as a kid. We just cracked the shells open in our mouths and spit out the hulls. I tried to dehydrate some from a tiny pumpkin pie pumpkin and I found they didn’t get that crispy, but maybe I was just comparing them to the roasted ones I’d had as a kid. You could probably eat the hulls, if they’re soft-ish.

• When I used to spice and roast my pumpkin seeds, everyone just ate them with the hull on. Everyone would give me their pumpkin seeds with the request for some roasted ones in return. They all ate the hulls.

I know for cooking purposes, you need them unhulled. But I have spiced and dehydrated my butternut squash seeds and they were a great snack.

• I leave the hull AND the slime on. The slime’s the flava. We dehydrate and eat ‘em up, hull and all.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Well I guess I will try them with hull on then :) Dehydrator is going with lots of other stuff in it right now, might as well throw them in. Here we go…

• Hmm, I have never tried the slime on. But the slime would eliminate the need for oil, I guess, to make the salt and stuff stick.

Next time, slime on.