Skin Concerns...

Hello, I am new to this and need all the help I can get…

Has any of you recovered from morbid obesity? And, what did your skin end up looking like?

I have more that 150 lbs to ‘release’ and I already suffer from severe skin laxity and horrendous stretchmarks; so, I was wondering wether a raw diet – and a more natural lifestyle in general – has the power (and to what extend) to eliminate all this or if I should start preparing and saving up for plastic surgery.

Thank you everyone.

Comments

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Yes it certainly can!! Check out:

http://store.rawreform.com/rawreform2.php

• Also…

1) What is your opinion on plastic / reconstructive surgery & its effects on overall health?

2) Would you use any of the following products? Do you find that their less cosmetic approach & composition would befit a raw foodist’s lifestyle?

a. Body Lotion by Dr. Loren Pickart (http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetail…) & more info (http://www.reverseskinaging.com/stretchmarks.html)

b. Body Creme by Dr. Lawrence Moy (http://www.photomedex.com/product.php?pid=134)

c. Body Lotion by Dr. Romulo Mene (http://www.beautyisskindeep.com/86_mene-and-moy…

Thank you, ever so much!

• Natural lifestyle and plastic surgery are simply in contrast…and when it comes to cremes and lotions they are simply a marketing scheme..the best way to improve your skin is a healthy diet, cremes could be all right provided they are natural to the point where you could eat them, if you cannot then they are toxic and you should not be using them as toxicity penetrates thru your skin into your blood stream. good luck!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’ve lost an even 100 pounds(so far), and I was morbidly obese when I started. A lot of the so-called “loose skin” is just sagging because of a huge loss of muscle tone from being inactive while obese.

As far as stretch marks are concerned, they are battle scars, and while I personally wouldn’t have my body chopped up, I sure can understand someone who wants cosmetic surgery for it. I just think a person should spend a couple of years giving the body time to recover and tone up after a large loss of weight.

Skin products for this sort of thing are a wast of time, not to mention a sham. I hope I don’t hurt any feelings. To tell you the truth, you shouldn’t worry about loose skin and scars at this point, because it’s not a good reason to not loose that weight. Just eat healthy, work out without injuring yourself, don’t waste your money on these bogus products for skin, and stay away from plastic surgeon vultures.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Hi ariadne. I would say ‘take it easy’. The fastest you go down, more laxity and strech marks you will notice. This is not a problem only for obese people, once when I was sick I lost a lot of weight in one week, and got lots of strech marks that weren’t there before. I imagine that the situation would be only worse if you have a lot of weight to get rid of in a short time. I also agree with Tomsmom, the skin tone is affected by inactivity, and once you iunlcude more exercise (including exercise) every thing will look better.

I also think that are some similarities between what is your skin going trough now and what happens during pregnancy. So maybe if you try some natural creams for strech marks, it could help the situation. I am not sure though is our situation if the streach marks were there before and showed up with the change, or if the fast change caused it.

Anyways, I admire people like you that have chosen to loose weight and to get healthier, I am sure that is reason enough to congratule you! Good luck to you.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I agree with rawlizard. The raw diet is about balancing the body and health. The raw diet does get rid of giggly and swinging body parts. But it takes time (not months, years).

People who have been morbidly obese need to really focusing on balancing aspects and not quick fixes. The quick fixes don’t bring you health or vibrancy. The raw diet does bring you health and vibrancy. Health and vibrancy is what makes you attractive.

Do you know people who have opted for quick fixes and are still not satisfied?

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I’ll add that I am 100% raw two days a week. On the remaining days I am greater than 60% raw with the cooked foods being vegetables. I do eat soup. I don’t eat dairy.

I say this for people to realize that it’s not that difficult. It’s about finding the best way that is healthy that fits your lifestyle.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

ariadne! I’m so glad you’ve chosen raw food to help you become more healthy.

I don’t know about the skin question since I was only about thirty pounds over weight but since I gained that weight very quickly(from health problems) I did get stretch marks. Since I’ve been raw they’ve faded noticeably and other things like spider veins etc have also faded.

I would definitely recommend dry brushing and coconut oil. You can look up the dry brushing thread and learn all about it. It will help your skin soooo much. It’s done wonders for me.

TomsMom-congratulations on losing so much weight! That is amazing!

• Hi ariadne

When I was around 12 years old, I started getting stretch marks in my hips and at the end of my back. I used cacao butter every night for months and it really helped me. Maybe you can try!!

Also, one of my best friends used to mix olive oil with her body cream when she was pregnant and she didn’t get any stretch mark during her pregnancy.

Hope it helps!!

The strawberry girl.