Help with young coconut recipe

aimeeaimee Raw Newbie

I have alot of recipes that require young coconuts. Problem: Is there anything that I could use to substitute? They are pretty expensive and are also not so easily available. Coconut water can be subbed by just using water, but what about coconut meat? Especially if it's the coconut taste you want to achieve? Ex: In the cookbook "Raw Food Raw World", there is a recipe for a Pina Colada that I would really like to try, but calls for a cup of coconut meat. Can I sub with something?

Comments

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi aimee...i have sometimes used a mix of dried , flaked coconut blended with water to replace the young coconut. the mixture is like a heavy cream consistency:)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

IMO young coconuts don't really taste like coconut as we typically think of it. For the pina colada they probably want regular coconut meat. I like the suggestion above - definitely worth trying.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

One more thought - a blended nut paste might be an OK substitute for young coconut flesh. For example, pistachios would add an interesting flavor and sweetness that would be complementary in desserts, drinks, etc.

• aimeeaimee Raw Newbie

thanks for the replys, I'll try them out.

• For certain recipes you can probably substitute coconut oil or coconut butter. Tropical Traditions makes a good coco oil and Artisana makes a good coco butter. If you need just the meat, artisana's coco butter is made out of pure coconut meat, nothing else. That would probably be your best bet. I find the dried coconut flakes aren't quite the same.