Falling off the wagon.......

Hi

I am still very new to goneraw and haven't visited the site in ages. Mainly because I have completely fallen off the wagon and have been eating cooked food and craving chicken!!

Today I have started a 3 day juice fast. If I feel good after 3 days I am going to keep going a day at a time.

Since going back to cooked food there has been a slow but steady decline in my health and attitude. I find I am going to the loo less and less, my moods are swinging and my asthma is playing up. Not to mention the weight gain around my middle.

I can hear you saying so why do you do it? I live with my husband of 33 years who is a confirmed carnivore who loves cooked (roast) vegies. In his defence he does love salad and does encourage me in my quest to be 100% raw because he sees the benefits I get from it.

My problem is that 5 weeks ago we were told our 7 year old dog Beau has cancer of the lymph nodes. Historically when I am sad or down I eat. I don't think I am unusual in this. Anyway I have been on a month long eating fest only to arrive at the point where my self esteem is low and I feel unwell.

TODAY I MADE THE DECISION TO STOP!

I will continue to read other peoples blogs as I find them a huge source of information and incouragement.

If anybody has any great juice recipes to share I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Rena

Comments

• sorry to hear about your pup. It's a hard thing to deal with. I'm an emotional eater as well so I can commiserate.

As long as you get back on the wagon just 1 more time than you fall off, you'll be fine. Just don't let guilt about it or hopelessness add to your downward spiral...let it motivate you.

As far as juice recipes...I'm a big fan of 3 or 4 big carrots, 1 big green apple (usually granny smith), and 1/2 of a lemon (no rind).

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Hello!

I've just been doing a juice feast, and I've been writing what I drink on my blog! (:

If you want, you can check out the juices I made!:

http://chooserawnotwar.blogspot.com/

(:

• I just love your site. So colorful and vibrant. Thanks so much!

Rena

• Hey thanks so much for your reply.

Today has been a great day. Lots of juice.......carrots, apples, spinach, cucumber and apple. Not all at once!

Am feeling very balanced and ready for tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your reply and encouragement.

Rena

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

Yay!

*blush* Thank you! :D

I'm glad your doing well!

• Hi rena - Bad news is definitely a trigger to reach for conventional foods and it's even more tempting with a carnivorous husband. My husband is a die-hard carnivore too. Don't lose hope. In the last 2-1/2 years, I lost my mom, my sister, and my best friend. Each time, I fell off the wagon for 2 or 3 months. The good news is, as you have pointed out, that once the human body experiences freshly extracted juices, it wants MORE. :) Your body is reminding you how yucky you feel on conventional foods and it's also rewarding you with great days and that wonderful feeling of balance now that you are getting back into juicing.

I don't know it this will help Beau...but it probably won't hurt either. One of my pets is a Norwegian Elkhound / German Shepherd mix. She is 16 years old. I started her on Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula dry food mixed with Innova EVO or Wellness canned food...just enough to get everything moist. I sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon of powdered super greens across the top and then mix everything together. She's much more spry now, so I know it's helping. I don't know if a mixture like this will help Beau's condition, but it may help him feel better. My heart goes to you...

Here are my fav recipes:

Green Drink:

1 cucumber peeled

1 stalk of celery

1 apple

1 handful of the following mixed greens: baby spinach leaves, kale, green cabbage, parsley, mixed sprouts

Juice, strain, drink. Yummy

Garden Fresh Cocktail (from the Vita Mix recipe book)

1 cup fresh tomatoes (I like using 2 medium tomatoes and add in extra cherry tomatoes)

1/2 cup spinach

1/4 cup carrots

1 tablespoon onion (I find that a teaspoon is plenty)

1 sprig parsley

1/4 cup bell pepper

ice cubes

dash of salt optional

Blend and drink. This is unbelievably delicious!

I also love to blend pineapple with baby spinach leaves.