Young coconut water storage

I bought a whole case of young coconuts since they were on sale. My fridge has very limited space so I had to open them all (storing the water and the meat alone takes much less space). Now I have a whole gallon of young coconut water sitting in a gallon size glass jar. Question: how long will the water last in the fridge? Some say the water of young coconuts will start to ferment within 12-24 hours and must be used by then. I love to save the water for various dessert recipes. Is the water safe in the fridge? If not, can i freeze it without affecting the taste once defrost? Thanks!!

Comments

• Any ideas, anyone?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

It oxidizes pretty quickly so you have to keep it airtight or freeze it. I freeze all my coconuts, but before I open them. The taste isn't affected at all.

• Thank you, RawKidChef, for always being helpful!! :) I will put mine in the freezer now! :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

For future reference, I thought I was about to have this problem with some coconuts I had ordered and I inquired about freezing the coconut whole and unopened. I am advised you can and that there is enough room inside the coconut so that when the water expands the coconut will not burst. Again, I have not done this but the company selling the coconuts advises they tell their customers to do this.

If I opened all my coconuts, I would get an ice tray and freeze the coconut water into cubes and then transfer them to a freezer bag that you push all the air out of or a large glass mason jar that you can vacuum seal if you have a Food Saver or equivalent. You can mix the flesh with the water or cube them separately and freeze them. This way, you can just use a few cubes as needed.

Good Luck.

• Thank you, Meditating!! What great advice with the ice cube tray!!! Will remember that for the future!!