Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Oil pulling

I’ve been reading since last year about this. I want to try it today- any advice????? Thanks.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

what is it?

• This is where I first heard about oil pulling.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling…

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

there’s a great ongoing discussion over at http://www.curezone.com I’m a big fan of oil pulling, personally I use Coconut oil—it really whitens the teeth! .....helping me forget all about the fact that I ever smoked : )

• My friend had me try oil pulling in January. At first I thought it was nuts but it’s quite addictive. I couldn’t believe how clean my teeth and gums felt. I used to use regular toothpaste like Colgate and the like but while I was there I started using her “Tom’s Natural” toothpaste. Now if I ever use anything other than Tom’s I feel like I’m brushing my teeth with sugar. So, mham, def try it. You’ll love it once you get over the initial gag of having oil in your mouth.

• Andiepoe, I use Tom’s of maine toothpaste as well. The irony is that Colgate quietly bought Tom’s of Maine awhile ago for 100 million.

colgate buys tom’s of maine new’s story

And I know Colgate-Palmolive does at least some of its manufacturing in China.

With the whole diethylene glycol colgate toothpaste scare lately, it makes me wonder, is Tom’s of maine now manufactured in China? Believe me I’m all for global free trade and peace amongst nations but it just seems like there’s zero quality control right now.

Anyone, any toothpaste suggestions?

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

what about that tooth soap mentioned on another thread? and where do we get that? hwo about jsut baking soda and then chew a mint leaf?

• I would love to try the oil pulling as well as detoxing but I am such a severe emetaphobic that I could never do it! Though Ted said using the peppermint oil would help with the herx effect I would probably stroke out from the stress of waiting to find out what would happen. I know that the benefits fair outweigh a couple of days of gagging and carrying on.

• okay – i tried this for the first time today with first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, and the oil was still very very yellow when i spit it out after 20 minutes. did i do something wrong, or does olive oil just stay yellow? The link that Doit posted, above, said the oil should be clear and frothy – definitely not yellow – when you spit it out. On the plus side, my teeth are now tingling like I just went to the dentist.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Just did the oil pulling post liver cleanse late this morning and my teeth and gums feel great. They have been feeling really sore the past week or so which I have been attributing to candida….hmmm.

Crazy, fascinating stuff! I used sesame oil and even though I luv the taste found it too strong for this use. So tomorrow I’m using sunflower oil I just snagged at the market.;-)

• Sunflower oil has come to be my favorite to use…

just tried this myself this morning, i have peppermint oil that is made of sunflour oil…it was great! i had no problems with gagging, it was white and frothy, and after 11 minutes my saliva glands went crazy, so i had lots to spit! then i brushed with a wet toothbrush, does anyone know if this replaces toothpaste? my teeth felt incredible and my tongue was sooo pink! i havent found a tooth paste that doesnt burn my mouth even the “natural” ones my gums get all irritated after every brushing with paste. my dentist suggested i brush to hard but even being aware and careful of that seems not to make a difference i tried baking soda, vile nasty stuff…could i jsut not use toothpaste if i oil pull?

Dagny, i read on another web site that olive oil does not turn white and froth…dont know if its true for everyone as it was a testimonial where the info was posted.

• I have done it for 5 days now. I will def. keep this as part of my daily routine w/ my 2-3x a day skin brushing!!!.I have been using sunflower oil,20 min.

• DagnyTaggart, you are right, extra virgin olive oil stays yellow even after 20 minutes. I tried it on my first 3 days of oil pulling, when it was the only oil at my hand. Now I have been oil pulling for around 40 days with sunflower oil, and it is great! I am still wondering if extra virgin olive oil would work even better for me, because it felt much stronger than sunflower oil.

• Hi Omshanti,

I use Vicco toothpaste which is ayurvedic and I believe made in India, it has clay in it. Although these days one really never knows…madeinchinamadeinchinamadeinchina..blabla…another great thing to brush your teeth with is tea tree oil a few drops on yr toothbrush and water. It leaves the teeth feeling really clean, it is a natural antimicrobial and antiseptic…hope this helps :) Dea.

• i am VERY interested in trying this. few questions tho..

1) how much (1tblsp?) of the oil do you swoosh around in your mouth?

2) how long should i do it for? 10 minutes or 20?

3) Sunflower oil seems to be the most common … should i use that too?

4) can you brush after using lets say … colgate toothpaste? ( i hate bad morning breath) :D

5) how often each day? on an epmty stomach? first thing in morning? when?

Thanx all!

hI dea! thanks for the tip, ill try tea tree i think….madgi from what i read sunflour or sesame oil, swish for as long as possible….i managed 20 minutes no biggie first thing in the morning while checking emails. the oil really kills morning breath! i used a little under a table spoon, but i have a small mouth. I also read that you can do it several times a day but you must have an empty stomach because they want you to do this several hours after eating. to much trouble for me but i will keep it up in the morning… it was an interesting experience, i suggestied it to my mom who has horrible trouble with her teeth and gums and has had periodontal surgery….

• I’m not sure if the swishing part is necessary. (Assuming this isn’t all some strange biology of belief effect). My take is that since most toxins (heavy metals, pcbs) have such a high affinity for fatty tissue, that the new source of fat in the mouth draws them there by diffusion.

I did read a couple of testimonials on other sites where people with mercury fillings were finding them dropping out. which makes sense since the mercury and silver would be highly attracted to the fat.

Or it may be just that we’re introducing free fatty acids into the blood stream through a sublingual(under the tongue) route.

In other news: I can also confirm that the olive oil doesn’t appear to change after twenty minutes.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Hi guys—I just started pulling with coconut oil on Monday and have been having pretty good luck – I can usually go 15 minutes before I need to spit.

But here’s the problem: as soon as I start swishing, I feel mucous kind of gathering in my throat, like I want to cough it up. The first day I went ahead and coughed and spit out the oil, then started again, but it just kept happening. And since it happens almost immediately after I start, I didn’t feel like I would get much benefit out of continually restarting. So since then, I’ve been ignoring that feeling in my throat, which is kind of annoying, but tolerable. But I’m just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing here?

Thanks!

• hmmm. sounds like either detox or a coconut allergy. way out on a limb here, but also maybe a strep throat remnant. maybe the coconut lauric acid interacting with some bacteria.

try it with just plain water for a few minutes to see if there’s a difference.

Thanks for the input, Avo Cado. I have to admit that my heart kind of stopped when I read “coconut allergy”, so I ran out to try it with water.

Same reaction (phew!). So that means detox maybe? Or strep throat being pulled out? (I think you might be onto something there, actually—until I went raw this year, I was getting strep throat at least once every year or two.)

I was trying to pay more attention when I was swishing, and I have to say, it feels like it is pulling up something that was deep in my chest (as opposed to that “filling up” congested feeling I used to get when I ate dairy). It’s a little hard to distinguish, but I think that’s probably a good thing?

• Jenny, not sure if it’s strep but the same thing happened to me not every time but a few. I think it is sinus allergies atleast for me.I’m not too worried about it as long as I do not swallow!

Aside from, eating raw,oil pulling and skin brushing does anyone have anything else they do on a reg. basis that is helping them?Those are what I do everyday,wanted to try something new. Thanks.

• I also tried using olive oil for OP. I got the same results as did DagnyTaggart. Plus I didn’t like the taste of the olive oil.

I use bar soap to brush my teeth. >>> http://gerardjudd.com/goodteeth.htm

Mham, it is reassuring that I am not the only one. I do have a lot of old congestion, I think. I didn’t even realize how congested I was until I changed my diet.

For my daily routine, I do 10-20 sun salutations every morning (and many evenings), even if I don’t have time for a full yoga practice. It really is amazing how great I feel afterward! I’ve also been doing some rebounding for a couple of minutes several times a day, which is nice. I’m not as consistent with that as with the other practices, but I do like it.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I am doing OP since last night with olive oil and it is great.

• I’ve been using the sunflower oil.

Jenny, I really want to get a rebounder. Does it have to be a top of the line expensive one to give you good results? Any suggestions on where to find one? Thanks!

Mham, I got mine at Target for about $20. I hate to shop there, but I just wasn’t willing to shell out for one of the expensive ones. I looked around for a while before I bought it, and I found that there’s not much of a mid-range—they’re either expensive through specialty/gym stores or cheap through Target, Walmart, etc. I’m sure the high end ones are nicer, but fortunately, I’ve never tried one, so I’m satisfied with my cheapo. And I definitely see and feel results.

They really do get things moving! My brother is something of an exercise snob, and he teased me pretty ruthlessly when I got it. So I had a bit of a laugh watching him get out of breath his first time using it, after just a few minutes of bouncing!

• How long do you bounce? Is this every day? Wonder if I could bounce and oil pull at the same time,HA! Well I do skin brush and oil pull in the morning to save time.Thanks!

“Wonder if I could bounce and oil pull at the same time,HA!”

I’m sure you could if you are coordinated! I, on the other hand, have a hard time typing emails while oil pulling, so combining it with something physical doesn’t seem very likely for me! Maybe when I get more used to it…

I know a lot of people who bounce for 30 minutes to an hour every day and swear by it, but I get really bored if I go for a long time. Maybe on the more expensive ones it is a little more “bouncy” and fun? (I definitely enjoy bouncing for a long time on big trampolines.) But on mine, I tend to bounce 100-200 bounces at a time whenever I feel like it throughout the day. Sometimes I’ll put on some music and bounce through one song or so. I’ll do it anywhere from twice a day to 6-7 times a day. I’m not super regular with it the way I am with other things, I just kind of do it when I think of it or feel like it. Hopefully that keeps my body guessing!

It’s nice for a little surge of energy, too. And apparently bouncing for 4 minutes is the equivalent of jogging a mile!

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

I also have difficulty oil pulling and emailing simultaneously….always thought of myself as a multi-tasker. guess I was wrong : )

• I did 2 rounds of oil pulling today,each 20 min.Is that ok to do?

Also, was a bit of a skeptic when people were saying that it whitened their teeth but after 9 days of doing this I think I can see a difference in my teeth. How has oil pulling helped you?????