Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is wheatgrass overrated? Anyone have personal success with wheatgrass?

CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I have been growing my first batch of wheatgrass and have been so excited about it. I tasted it once in a juice bar and I felt so good the whole day. I'm not sure if it was that or just a coincidence of having other good events that pleased me that day, or not.

I keep reading things about how wheatgrass is a scam. How the whole chlorophyll being close to hemoglobin is not scientific and how a carrot has more vitamins than a glass of wheatgrass juice.

The angle of criticism comes from the unscientific claims that 'gurus' make. The whole 'guru' thing comes into play because people are relating a metaphysical, new-age philosophy to raw veganism. While personally I am not a vitalist, i.e. do not talk about vital force or life force or whatever when adhering to a raw diet, I can see why some people get skeptical about wheatgrass when they hear this stuff.

Does anyone have any personal success with wheatgrass? How do you know it is not a placebo effect?

Comments

• Carnap,

I don't have a lot of experience with wheatgrass but I do have some. An interesting book you may consider reading is "Why Suffer" by Ann Wigmore. She discusses at length how she came upon the idea of wheatgrass and the many case studies of people who improved on wheatgrass. You can get the book in a free download form from Jim Carey's website

http://rawlivingfoods.typepad.com/1/2008/11/why_suffer_how_.html

There is also some information on Jim's website about wheatgrass.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

wheatgrass for 1 week had a permanant and profound affect on my mood. I just got some seed and things so I'll be growing my own soon :)

• Wheatgrass had a big impact on me. Two summers ago, I had a series of leg surgeries and I wound up taking a lot of Vicodin. I'd been eating about 75% raw since November 08, but it wasn't until I had wheatgrass for the first time that I really started to detox those pain killers. I'd have a shot of wheatgrass, and then a couple of hours later, I'd get a very high fever, and then throw up several times. This happened maybe 5 or 6 times, each time after a shot of wheatgrass, and I know it was the Vicodin leaving my body because during those times I'd also experience the same side effects I had while on the Vicodin (restless legs, etc). Wheatgrass is really powerful.

• We have used fresh pressed wheatgrass juice externally as well

as drinking it. We used it to stop the bleeding on my dd face about 1 year ago.

One of our dogs bit her by mistake. It was a deep cut and I thought she might need stitches. It almost sliced a clean cut from the outside of her face to the inside of her mouth. To give you an idea of how deep the bite was.

We put the wheatgrass juice on the cut and covered it with some gauze soaked in wheatgrass juice. We continued to do this over a time frame of three days. We never did go to the doctor.

Her wound healed pretty rapidly and left no scar on her beautiful little face. From our personal experiences we have found The Power of Wheatgrass to be amazing! :)

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I thought so!

But there are so many skeptical, cynical people that want to dis the raw lifestyle and call it unscientific !!!

Science is nature! How could anything be more scientific than something that has evolved in nature!

I can't wait to get started on it...

• Hi Carnap,

I seem to deal with a lot of skeptic people in my line of work. My experience has been that it is never really about what they are complaining about. The ones who make the most "noise" in bashing certain remedies and lifestyle choices are really just voicing their own insecurities and fears. I often find that reaction tedious rather than frustrating because when I hear it, it reminds me to take a deep breath and try to deal with these people in a calm and non-confrontational manner. I figure that if they don't feel as threatened, they might be a bit more open to at least understanding that others may have opinions that differ from theirs.

Good luck with your wheatgrass journey. I hope to be starting my own soon!

BTW SimplyRaw and Rawawawah, those are amazing wheatgrass stories!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I don't think there is one thing that is the magic thing to cure all ills. Our bodies need many things to provide the nutrients we need. So, wheatgrass is great but so are other fruits and veggies. I was a big wheatgrass drinker (once a week or more) until I had a bad reaction (nausea). So I'm off it for now. But when I did have it I had a HUGE boost in energy. It was pretty amazing.

• Wheatgrass is a powerful healer. There is even a medical research study in which wheatgrass juice was given to help offset the damages of chemo to one's body. The results of the study were encouraging.

I personally grow wheatgrass. I do not enjoy the flavor at all. Mixing it with other juices helps take away the grassy bite. I would not drink it if I were not acutely aware of the good this drink is doing for my body when I drink it.

I like how my skin takes on a healthy glow after I have regularly consumed it. The more you study about this amazingly nutritious food that even Jesus Christ talked about, the more impressed you will be. I think it is one of the most powerful superfoods available and at a reasonable price.

Start drinking this green health producing juice and notice the health improvements in your life too!

• I personally have a hard time drinking wheatgrass, but we do buy it for our cats to help with digestive problems. We just buy the wheatgrass that is growing in the little carton, and we put it down by their food. They eat it all the time and we have noticed they have shinier coats, they never have hairballs or anything like that, their eyes are brighter, and our cat who had joint problems is walking and jumping like she is a kitten again. So...I'm a believer!!!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Tell me more about Jesus and wheatgrass.. please :)

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

There is mold on my wheat(grass) berries. I think I over watered. Should I dump out the soil? Start all over with new dirt?

I'm in an apartment!

Apart from that, I think I am just going to trust my own judgement like you all said! I noticed a lot of the skeptics take pills, eat loads of meat, so they don't even seem to care about health in the first place.

• Carnap -

We have not had that experience with our wheat berries.

I am no expert, but I would start over with a new batch. The mold could continue to grow and can make you sick. We soak our wheat berries in spring water for no more than 8 hours...to prevent mold.

We also use salt water or grapefruit seed extract to mist our wheatgrass. These two methods help us prevent mold while it is growing.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

It is one of those personal preference things. My friend used to always get a shot of wheat grass juice in her smoothie and a couple of times she'd buy me a smoothie with a shot in it and I couldn't handle the taste of it.

I think it may cause a detox reaction, meaning that the body is reacting to a foreign substance and tries to evacuate it, this is why many people experience reactions from tingling sensations to diarrhea when they drink too much of it.

The nature part of it tells me that it's not meant for human consumption, that yes animals graze on it but we are meant to eat fruits and mild tender greens, on the other hand there have been so many people who have healed themselves of diseases using wheat grass juice. Could they have done the same using fruit and greens? Perhaps, sometimes people just need something like that to get into to keep them going on the road to health.

There are some who will blend the whole blades into a smoothie as a way of not wasting the fiber.

• Does anyone have a good wheatgrass smoothie recipe? I like the idea of keeping the fiber, but I too find wheatgrass a little nauseating :/

• I found it a bit nauseating too, kind of like taking an iron pill on an empty stomach. I did find it really helpful when I was recovering from two foot surgeries. I dealt with the nausea only to see if I'd heal quickly...who knows if it was the raw food, or the wheatgrass, but I did heal MUCH more rapidly than my doctor expected. I actually healed so quickly the doctor thought there was something up....he laughed when I explained about the greens:)

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I love wheat grass juice!

Yes it tends to get some mold, I was told about it beforehand so i was not to alarmed, don't throw it out you will waste a lot of money if you do unless of course it is getting out of control and high in the grass. just don't cut to far down. It happens from not enough air flow but it wont hurt you. You may be over watering it cut back on how much you water. I have put a couple of drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide in the water and that helped out. I have also let the bottom of the tray (roots) breathe a little at night when it is dark.

I have not grown any in about two months trying to find a more stable way to juice it in the truck ( my husband and I "live" in a semi truck about 4 to 6 weeks at a time). right now i clamp it to a cutting board and big book, lol, It slides everywhere and just got to be a hassle. Yes it is a manual juicer. to cheap to buy the electric one. lol

I was told to never eat anything with it because of the 'vomit' issue lol but i wait an hour before eating and drinking anything else. and I have never had any bad side effects, just tons of energy!!

• I recently ordered a wheat grass kit and a manual juicer. I read "The Wheat Grass Book" and it makes quite a case for drinking this. It said that if too much is consumed at first that it will cause a bad reaction due to the detox, so start with very little and gradually increase if this is important to you to avoid. I'm still waiting for everything to arrive.

P.S. After the wheatgrass is harvested from the tray, do you put new dirt in the tray each time or reuse the same dirt? New wheatgrass seeds are used each time, correct? Thanks!

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

leafygreen, yes new dirt each time. I use vermiculite about 6 cups per tray. when you are done it is think there would be no way to reuse it. Some people try to get a second cutting. but I could not get enough to justify the time and space to wait for the second cutting. I also use a kelp fertilizer that I bought from sproutpeople.com. I had emailed back and forth with them before buying anything. they answered all my questions. and made suggestions for my situation.

• Eryn Paige: where did Jesus talk about wheatgrass?

• I think this is in "The Essene Gospel of Peace." Interested where Eryn Paige found this too.

• I am new to wheatgrass. i discovered it by chance when I was trying to find a natural help to reduce my symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I am scared of hormonal therapies due to its effects. I have been taking the wheatgrass juice for almost a week now, and my symptoms of chronic fatigue and muscle tightness has reduced a lot. Then my cat was vomitting and having diarrhea for 2 days. I have always treated her with ******** factor and she had responded quite well. However, not this time. She wasn't eating for 3 days already and she could hardly walk and her voice was so weak. I force fed her wheatgrass juice. And that night she started drinking on her own. The next day, she started eating and licking food on her own. I gave her the wheatgrass juice again that night and this morning she was meowing for food! and finished about 1/2 a teaspoon of canned a/d. I contributed her recovery to wheatgrass alone. I have read a lot of successful stories and how wheatgrass juice has changed one's life. It will be interesting to find out if there's anyone out there that has an unpleasent side effect after taking wheatgrass? Besides nausea? To me between the feeling of nausea and able to cure my symptoms, it's worth it.

• grassMangrassMan Raw Newbie

I used to take wheatgrass since long, though not very regularly or consistently; primarily for my psoriasis. Over past several months I have been experiencing immense fatigue and slight brain fog. I have restarted wheatgrass and this time I am drinking therapeutic doses of around 8-10 ounces per day. I am very hopeful on wheatgrass though it is slightly early for me to comment on any kind of magical benefit it is giving me. I will update after a few weeks if I feel like it is really helping me with my fatigue. 

• KikAllezKikAllez Raw Newbie

I like the idea of wheatgrass juice and wish I could consume it.  But when I have I get an instant stuffy nose and headache, as if I had been standing out in a field of polinating ragweed.  Plus it nauseates me.  

Someone mentioned mold on their wheatgrass berries:  if it is molded throw it out.