Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Type 1 Diabetes and raw foods

Would anyone care to shed some light on this? My husband (39) has been a type 1 since he was six years old and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any success, or at least some healthy progress doing the raw foods thing? Any stories/ideas/thoughts shared would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

:)

Comments

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

Have you heard Sergei Buotenko's story? He is part of The Raw Family and he was diagnosed with Diabetes and was supposed to start taking insulin shots. His family decided to go cold turkey raw and he has no symptoms of diabetes and has never taken an insulin shot. I am not sure what type of diabetes he had but here is the link to their website.

http://www.rawfamily.com/

Good Luck!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sergei was type 1 & was diagnosed at age 9 (I think). I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 27, and I went raw at age 30. I use about 1/3 the amount of insulin on raw as I did when eating cooked food, plus I have lots more energy & heal/recover from other illnesses faster than I did before. I think it's easier & faster to heal from something if you've not had it very long (Sergei went raw within a couple of months after being diagnosed), and children heal faster than adults. Still, there are a couple of people who have completely healed from type 1 diabetes through Dr. Gabriel Cousens's program at his Tree of Life center in Arizona. Dr. Cousens has written a book called "There is a Cure for Diabetes" and even though he is talking mainly about reversing type 2 diabetes, he does give a lot of WONDERFUL information about specific nutrients & supplements for diabetes, and he explains HOW each one works, so I was able to figure out which ones work on the issues specific to type 1 diabetes.

I should say that I eat ALMOST 100% raw - I have very few exceptions, and those are probably on their way out(nuts that may not be truly raw, etc.). I started not with the intention of going raw, but with taking in exactly what my body needed to be healthy. I go by what I feel, and I gravitated quickly toward raw food.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Have you seen 'Simply Raw,' the documentary about the people with diabetes who go 100% raw for 30 days at Tree of Life? I don't know where you live, but there are screenings here and there throughout the U.S.

Here is a recent thread too

http://goneraw.com/forum/im-new-and-diabetic-and-interested-other-peoples-experiences

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

The movie Simply Raw was great, and not even just for diabetes but on better eating/health in general.

• dovesinna,

I have a close family member that has type 1 diabetes. Going Raw certainly did reduce the amount of insulin needed but I have not know anyone or found any information on anyone who has been type 1 for many years to get off of insulin totally.

The story of Sergei is a good example of someone who was found to have high blood sugar as a child and quickly made dietary changes and saw positive results with a Raw Food diet. That is a very rare example.

America is seeing more cases of type 2 diabetes in young children due to the SAD diet. A dietary change in them would certainly free them of insulin shots as their diabetes is diet and lifestyle related.

Even if Raw Foods don't heal someone with type 1 diabetes completely, the other health benefits achieved will be worth it. Plus it'll help avoid future related health complications

Here is a good testimony of someone with type 1 diabetes and her experience with Raw Foods http://healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com/

• Thanks for passing on the info.

:)

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I believe that with faith and perseverance it is possible to heal from most anything.

Find out about DHA & omega-3 essential fatty acids. They make a big difference. Both are found in salmon, but if you are vegan, then hemp seeds, walnuts & flaxseeds have lots of omega-3s, and I believe Shazzie said that you can get a vegan DHA supplement. I just don't know where. I also supplement with vitamin A from fish oil, because there are no vegan sources of "ready-to-use" vitamin A and my body doesn't convert beta-carotene to vitamin A as it should. I'm not sure if this is true of all diabetics or just some of us. I take a vitamin D supplement as needed - usually in winter.

• I also strongly suggest Simply Raw. Many of the people in that documentary had diabetes most of their lives and within a few days they were able to cut back on their insulin. I think within a week many had normal blood sugar levels, and one woman noticed the lump in her breast (that had been there for years) disappeared.

• I am type 1 and I am fairly certain that there is absolutely no way that you could stop insulin shots with a raw food diet. The breakdown is that everyone uses insulin naturally in their bodies to process any carbohydrate strain (glucose, fructose, sucrose- both processed or natural occurring sugars), but type 1's have had something kill off the cells that produce their insulin. Therefore, we have to inject it when necessary, basically imitating a body's natural response.

So, just as a normal person's body would shape up and be healthy with raw food diets, so would a type 1 diabetic's - the difference is that a normal person would simply produce less insulin in their body, because they wouldn't need it, whereas a diabetic would inject less into their body. Which would be fantastic, because insulin is also a fat-storage hormone and a fitter body overall is what the goal is.

I just feel the need to explain that insulin is not some evil pharmaceutical that we are trying to avoid. It is a necessary hormone for life.

But, type 2 is a completely different disease and is actually managed completely differently. when a type2 can stop insulin injections it just means that their body has come back into balance (they still have insulin cells, and there are other reasons why they might not be working effectively).

I'm not a doctor, just aware for my own sake.

I am going to try a raw food diet this summer (when I have time to commit) to see the changes that occur- I hear great things, so thanks for this post. I wasn't sure how to start since I am so restricted to having balanced meals all the time and enough carbs for energy. Exciting times!

• nsns

I was type 2 and then borderline type 2 when I started raw foods. I am only partly raw but my sugar went down by 10% and all other blood test report levels improved very significantly. I was also able to fix (at least significantly) many of my other problems without using prescription medications. My physician remarked that I was going to put the doctors and the hospitals out of business.

Without any doubt, raw foods will help improve things inside you in many ways that we or the doctors can never know. For most people, I believe that a significantly raw diet combined with exercise and meditation can take care of 95-99% of their health issues. But a lot of the serious problems can be due to genetic issues and malfunctions - something that might need an additional different approach. Many of the insulin and histamine (allergy/asthma related issues) fall in that category. So, whereas a raw diet will very definitely help things, but to what extent you can only know by trying and finding out. Each case is different.

As mentioned by many others, Simply Raw is highly recommended. For anyone who can afford the time and expense, that approach may be a good and worthwhile short cut to figure out if it works or not. It can cut down the learning curve and experimentation time very significantly.