Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

alfalfa

I have a jar of alfalfa seeds. What is the best way to deal with them. Any info on alfalfa???? Is it more than animal fodder and green manure???? I hope so.

Comments

• Sprout them and enjoy!

• I love alfalfa sprouts! Let me tell you what you get from them they have Vitamin A,Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pantothenic Acid (B5), Pyridoxine (B6),Biotin (B7), Folic Acid (B9), Cobalamin (B12), C, D, E, K, Choline, Inositol, PABA, Calcium, Flourine, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium. To me they are a powerhouse of nutrients and I eat them almost daily. I hope you enjoy your sprouts and use them often : ) I put a handfull on my sandwiches made with raw bread.

• W O W....a superfood. Thanks for the info. I have had some sprouting since the day after I posted this. They have roots and small green shoots now. I'll try them at his stage to see what they are like.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I had some yesterday. Maybe that's why I felt so darn good.

But isn't there some thing or another about alfalfa sprouts that makes so we should not eat them everyday?

Refresh my memory.

• I haven't heard of anyone having problems with alfalfa sprouts. I don't eat them everyday but I do eat them everyother day I feel great.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I think alfalfa had a bad rap in the past due to shop bought ones containing salmonella. I love them but have to admit they have made me sick before. Positive and negative viewpoints can be found here.

http://www.saferfoods.co.nz/alfalfa.shtml

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutsafe.html

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

It is said that all sprouts have a toxin to prevent the overconsumption of new budding plants....to protect the species.

• I know that all sprouts do have small amount of toxins in them. Thank you for the view points I had not heard that

before. But I do think that the benifits I get from them out weigh the small risk of toxins in them,

I will just eat less a week, oh and I also use fresh spring water to soak and rinse.

(Don't want my sprouts to soak up bad stuff from tap water)

• I read that if you consume a supplement of alfalfa, too much can alter the red blood cells. I don't suppose a teaspoon in a jar, sprouted would do any harm.

I have just ate my first jar of sprouted alfalfa and they are beautifully fresh.

• Hi Organic Alfalfa sprouting seeds for sale from www.chia4uk.com they also have alot of info on them and other raw superfoods. Enjoy on salads.