Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Foods you can't digest....

joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I was wondering what foods you guys can't digest well. It's usually just vegetables for me like corn and broccoli. i love broccoli, though, and really want to eat it somehow!! i can't digest nuts at all so i stopped eat those, too.

Comments

• I find that cabbage is really bad for me, and I get stomach pains when I eat it. Sometimes cauliflower and broccoli make me bloated. Also, my body is still getting used to eating sprouts (lentils), but I find mung bean sprouts are really bad for me. The best things for me are fruit, I seem to have no problem eating any fruit (except sometimes dried fruit, but if I soak it beforehand its a ok):-)

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i have to eat cabbage, marinated or cultured. broccoli has to be processed for me to be able to eat it. Im having a hard time digesting alot of foods these days - if its not fruit, smoothies or juices - i'll have tummy troubles.

• raw cashews are out for me (even really raw ones). I can have a hard time with flax crackers. i usually have to sub chia seed or hemp seeds for the flax.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

johanna banana. I know what you mean! I think you have to marinate the broccoli. I had a hard time with cabbage... but as it turns out when I used Russell James Curried Cabbage recipe with oils and cumin (helpful in aiding digestion of cabbage), I don't have problems! As for those nuts... well, I haven't figured that out yet. Chew more thoroughly?

• I can't digest tomatoes or cucumbers. They are like barbed wire going through me. Broccoli and cabbage are doable but I notice I get gassy and bloated.

I noticed dawntreader said mung sprouts bothered her, and I wonder if anyone else has a horrible time with soybean sprouts. I accidentally bought them instead of mungs once and used them raw in a salad. Pain up there with the cukes and tomatoes! Mungs are okay with me though...odd.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

cashews give me such a bad tummy ache (but i love them, i can't have them around or i'll still eat them) I can't eat too many nuts or i get a heavy feeling. Which is ok, b/c nuts are so pricey.

Im suspecting that i have a mild allergy to bananas. I notice that if i eat more than 3 a day my mouth gets swollen and the tip of my tongue feels like i burned it. weird.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

formosa- responding to the soy sprouts...I wouldn't be surprised by your experience with them. Soy is REALLY BAD for your system. Kudos to your body for warning you!

wichten- I get that burn tongue reaction with cinnamon if I have too much. OUCH!

As for the foods that my body has problems digesting, I have problems with corn. Also,we figured out that my by baby (7 months) has a digestive "reaction" if she consumed my breastmilk after I ate corn. Seeing her with tears, screaming, and arching was enough for me to stop eating any corn "cold turkey"! This was a little hard because I LOVE raw corn.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

i have a really hard time with broccoli, too. it's only hard for me to digest when i eat it alone, though. in a big salad, i'm fine! :)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

cashews are the main nut that give me problems!!! they are so good in desserts and it sucks not eating them.

i will definitely try marinating broccoli. there's a stir fry recipe on here that uses brocolli and portabellos. i made it a few days ago without the broccoli and it was amazing.

spiritedmama, your poor baby!! does that mean she is allergic to corn?? i have never tried raw corn, but cooked corn is really impossible for me to digest. it must have taken 2 weeks for me to digest that stuff the last time i ate it.

• Tip for the cucumber sensitive....it's the seeds that make you bloated. If you cut them in half and scrape out the seeds you should be good to go. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower (even kale, i think) are all in that family of plants that give you gas but also are huge cancer preventers. There is something in them that people don't have the enzymes to digest and it's the bacteria in you intestines that break it down and that process produces gas. Pretty, huh. (i still eat them, just not in huge amounts).

One of my harder digestions was the raw stuffing from Matt Amdeson(?)'s book - walnuts, pumpkin seeds, one other nut or seed, mushrooms and fresh herbs (from memory- I know it was more involved than that) The nuts/seeds were soaked, and the taste of the dish was FANTASTIC - like stuffing - so much so I brought it to a thanksgivng, but I had all kinds of lower GI issues. I don't have problems with nuts sparingly or in nut butters. I guess it was too much being the base of the dish. It was really yummy though!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I have no problems digesting anything, but my husband can't handle sprouted legumes other than mung beans either. He's fine with seeds, including lentils.

• Yes, I've read a lot about the bad side of soy recently. Funny, because here (I'm in Taiwan) all my Taiwanese friends encourage you to eat tofu as it's "good for the woman;-)". Actually, when I ate the soy sprouts I asks a friend here about them and she said, "Oh, you CAN'T eat them uncooked! Why would you do that?!" They tend to blanch almost all veggies here first. And to make my students gasp and giggle I eat raw carrot sticks in class. Ha.

• in terms of SAD food, I can't digest dairy, eggs, wheat (or any wheat related items, even spelt), breads, refined anything etc. But I'm sure that is a given with the majority of people on raw food diets:-)

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

oh man i can't tell you how many health benefits i experienced giving up dairy. I would've never told you I had a problem with it up until I gave it up. Its amazing how no one believes me on that one...

• How do you know you "can't dijest" these foods? Is it gas? bloating? pain?

I have problems with gas and bloating, but have been unable to attribute it to specific foods. I'd love to know so that I can be more socially acceptable in public!! : )

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

rawsaysrita- i know i can't digest foods when the stuff in the toilet looks the same as the stuff that i ate. i don't know how else to say it without sounding gross!!! haha i mean, when i eat a nut, i find a nut in the toilet.

• oh that makes sense.

in that case, it depends on the situation and how my stomach is reacting to consumption any given time.

The only consistant one I have noticed is corn.

So is it best to leave out foods that we cannot digest? Are they slowing things down or causing any harm if we continue to eat them? (I love raw corn!!)

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

A good way to figure out what foods don't agree with us is by focusing on mono-meals. Meals of just one kind of fruit, specifically. And then when we add other things in we will have a better idea. Proper food combining is also sooo important when it comes to not being bloated/gassy.

• How do you all feel about taking beano to help digest the brocolli?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Beano doesn't digest anything; your body does the digestion.

Beano is also not vegan.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I find that marinating or pickling helps greatly with hard-to-digest vegetables like broccoli. As for nuts, I generally don't have a hard time digesting them, but I do need to be kind of careful about food combining. However, if I make, say, a cashew cream and inoculate it with probiotics (vegan ones are out there) and let it sit out overnight, it's very easy to digest with just about anything. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Oh, and basically I have to make sure not to have anything remotely sweet after eating flax or chia seeds in a day; I chalk this up to food combining and don't consider it a problem.

If I feel I'm having a rough time digesting in general, I find sipping on water with some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar can help. Also, salt helps. Really. I'm pretty sure Ayurveda backs me up on this one . . .

• I hadn't thought about beano not being vegan, however there is something called bean-zyme that is. It aparently contains an enzyme which helps break down the starches etc. in foods like brocolli. Just in case anyone is wondering!