Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What type of milk do you use with your toddler?

Hi! I'm Chris. I am new to the forum and looking for input. I am transitioning my family to a more healthful way of eating (probably not 100% raw but definitely more raw than not). My daughter has been a healthy eater since she started solids, but I feel like I can get creative and do a better job in this area. First thing on my list is to eliminate cow's milk. Can you tell me what type of milk you give your toddler and what made you pick that type?

TIA!

Chris

Comments

• Goats milk is easier to digest, and I believe usually doesn't have the hormones and antiobiotics as much as cows milk (assuming the cows milk is store bought, factory farm stuff).

Of course, there is rice milk (a vegan milk, if that's the way your going)- it is thinner and may take some getting used to. If they are eating it on cereal, it won't be as noticable as if they are drinking it.

• Hey Chris. I have a 10 month old and we have decided not to give her cows milk or soy milk. She will get her needs from her food and the sun. We may even have to give her some supplements. Maybe you can mix the cows milk with the rice milk and slowly add more of the rice milk until it is all rice milk. Maybe you could introduce it first with chocolate in it like chocolate milk.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

Raw goat milk of course - coconut milk - tahini milk - nut milk

toddlers should be fine with nut milks ....

i prefer raw goats though ....

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

My little one isn't a toddler yet, but when she gets there, I plan to give her nut mylks, seed mylks, and coconut milk. I will do it in rotation to avoid any allergies/sensitivities that can occur at this age. Plus, rotation is good to make sure she will get maximum nutrition. I for sure will stay away from soy, not good for the body, especially for little people.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

We have a almost four year old and a 2 year old and we do Hemp Milk (they love it and its full of omegas and they have unsweetened varieties we add stevia and our own stuff) we also do rice a lot as well, sometimes almond, we have to avoid xantham gum since our youngest is allergic to corn and most packaged milks even hemp contain it so we have to make our own it is soooooo yummy! Tahini or sesame milk is too bitter for our kiddos I have thought of doing sunseeds though. If mac nuts werent so spendy I would make them into milk to.

Of course we do a b vitamin supplement that has vitamin d in it. As well as a flax supplement with vegan algae sourced DHA for brain development.

Something to note about Goats milk is that all commercially sold milks including goat do have antibiotics given to the animals unless advertised otherwise so if you decide to go that route call the farm directly and make sure you know what your getting. Our kids are allergic to dairy (as am I) so goat is not an option for us but we feel better and are sick way less often without the mucus of dairy.

Good luck in your switch

• Human milk is the best. Why not more of the best?

• Katabatic-Because sometimes you can't give them human milk for the first three years of their life. My supply dried up when she was 8 months old. I do not have an option of buying breastmilk from a milk bank. I planned on giving her breastmilk for at least a year and then seeing what happened after that.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Vegan2raw- would love to know the name of the Flax/DHA supplement you are using. Thanks!

• My daughter loves almond milk and hazelnut milk. She also got mama milk until age 2.