Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A few questions for Raw Foodies

As a fairly new Raw foodist I had some questions for anyone who wants to lend some advice.

1. Why am I feeling so puffy all the time?

2. Have any of you struggled with thyroid disease while Raw?

3. Will I ever lose weight:)? (7 lbs. in 5 weeks, really!)

4. Did any of you stall for a long time with weight loss in the beginning?

5. Were any of you particularly grouchy?

6. Is colon hydrotherapy a necessary tool for total cleansing?

7. I will list a typical menu and tell me what you think may be the problem.

Lemon Water

Carrot, Celery, Parsley, Beet, Cucumber Juice

Smoothie: blueberries, strawberries, kale, hemp protein, maca powder, greens powder

Salad: red leaf lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, avocado w/ hemp oil asian dressing

Pure Bar or Raw Granola with almond milk

grapefruit w/little agave

Seriously this is my menu just about everyday.

Can't wait to hear some feedback!

Nicole

http://thefitnessfreak.blogspot.com/

P.S. I totally have the workout routine down so no worries there:)

Comments

• Oh, I am taking Armour Thyroid because I have Hashimoto's Disease.

• 1. Why am I feeling so puffy all the time? Do you eat lots of salt?

2. Have any of you struggled with thyroid disease while Raw? Mine is a little off but I do not have to take anything right now.

3. Will I ever lose weight:)? (7 lbs. in 5 weeks, really!) Don't think of this as a diet. Think of it as a lifestyle.

4. Did any of you stall for a long time with weight loss in the beginning? n/a

5. Were any of you particularly grouchy? I was grouchy until I got over the detox headache

6. Is colon hydrotherapy a necessary tool for total cleansing? I do not think it is but I would do it because I heard it was good for the good ol' colon.

7. I will list a typical menu and tell me what you think may be the problem.

Your menu seems fine. Try cutting out the nightshade foods (tomato, hot peppers) if yo ueat them lot. If you eat that menu everyday, you may need to change it up. I see you have a good varuety of green foods, not a good variety of orange or white. You have some blueberries for the blue foods. I did not see and purple foods in there wither. Try eating from the 5 food colors. I hope that helps you a little bit!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I would highly recommend against eating the same thing every day. The body needs variety, to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need, as well as make sure you are not getting too much of anything.

I would recommend using this site http://www.fitday.com for a few days to see if your intake is sufficient for you. This site http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ will let you know how many calories you need to sustain yourself at complete rest. (You will need more, unless you are bedridden. But that calculator will give you an idea of bare minimum.)

To respond the the questions that apply to me: I get puffy if I consume regular "table" salt. Coconut oil gives my weight loss a boost. I get grouchy when I don't take in enough calories.

Good luck to you! I hope something here is helpful.

:~)

• Thanks RAWmen Noodles!

I do think of Raw as a lifestyle now, I just feel like I'm a bit water as of late>:( I do add purple cabbage, does that count?:) I'm off to the colon hydrotherapist next week so we'll see if that helps. Hopefully it will make me a bit cheerier, haha.

Thanks for the tips, anything is helpful at this point.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

1. i agree with rawmen noodles, except my question is do you eat ANY salt at all? salt consumption definitely contributes to puffiness.

it seems like you could be getting a lot of fat from that menu sample (granola, bars, avocado, hemp oil, any type of oil is 100% fat) . i recommend downloading this program called cron-o-meter (it's free). input your daily intake and see what percentage of fat you're taking in, also see how many calories you're eating. it sounds like you're eating a lot of sugar, and while sugar from fruit is very very healthy, eating them in combination with high fats, will cause problems. you should check out some of the low-fat raw vegan diets. people that do them correctly have great results! i eat a diet of 98% fruits with 2% greens and a little overt fats like avocado on occasion. i lost a lot of weight (for me) at first while i was detoxing. now i'm back up to my ideal weight. if rapid weight loss is what you're trying to achieve a water fast will do it the fastest. it helps you cleanse and detox faster. you store toxins in fat, muscles, tissues, organs, etc. so when your body cleanses itself, you lose a lot of weight.

blending whole fruits and veggies are healthier than juicing. the fiber and water in fruits and veggies help the sugars to be used efficiently without spiking your blood sugar. if either fiber or water is absent it will spike your blood sugar.

food combining charts are great too. incorrect food combining will cause bloating and indigestion. the simpler the meal, the better the digestion. mono meals are the healthiest.

people often experience mood swings and grouchiness while they're detoxing. it's normal.

colon hydrotherapy is not necessary at all, it is actually harmful to the delicate colon.

here's a great website for info and advice:

www.rawfoodexplained.com

• Thanks Kelly and Pixx! I will take all of the info to heart and watch my fat intake too. I workout a lot so I feel like I need a little fat for back-up energy:)

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

you're welcome! all you need for energy is carbs! eat plenty of fruit and you will have lots of energy to burn. :)

• Hmm, I have tried Fitday and Nutridiary. What is this cron-o-meter. I will try it out....