Hi from a Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to the raw food world, currently on Day Five of what started out as a 7-day raw food fast, but what is actually becoming something I think I want to continue after the seven days are up. I've been trying recipes and experimenting with things and it is so much fun. Who knew you could do so many different things with nuts??

So far, my favorite thing is almond milk, which I never tried before. I was struggling a bit with straining it, and just ordered 5 nylon bags on eBay to make it easier. I'm looking for the most cost-effective source for almonds, as well as recipes that use that sad little leftover pulp I feel guilty composting.

I've been sharing some of my raw food with my husband. As a Uruguayan, he's a dedicated omnivore, but he's also extremely open-minded and has loved everything I've made for him, and has even said he's joining me for zucchitini next time I make it. I was totally surprised that I had a Spirooli tucked away in my cupboard. I think I must've bought it about 6 years ago when I first went vegan, and never once used it. Now that I have used it, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. That zucchini spaghetti is incredible!!!

I've been pesci-vegetarian for about 5 1/2 years, and I've really loved it, but it hasn't made me eat healthier, I'm afraid, and I gained some weight I don't want to keep. I tried Weight Watchers for awhile, but I don't like the emphasis on processed foods, plus they count avocado fat the same as cheesburger or Twinkies fat, which makes no sense to me at all. Finally, five days ago, on a day when I'd eaten too much junk and too many empty, useless calories, when I was just feeling crummy and horrible, I thought, "I need a detox." Fasting has always been a major challenge for me, so I just decided to do this raw food fast on impulse. At first, I thought maybe I'd do it for 3 days. Then I liked it and thought, "How about 7?" Now, on Day 5, I'm thinking that I like it so much, I just might keep going indefinitely.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this site -- the recipes are totally phenomenal -- and I'm happy to have found the community. Everyone doesn't understand the raw food thing, and "raw" always seems to imply "cold" which I've discovered isn't the case (much to my relief). So it's good to have the support.

Looking forward to connecting with folks here, and hoping to find some Midwestern people on the same path.

Warmly,

Susan

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Welcome Susan, bizinbluejeans~to goneraw, we do have a lot of fun creating and sharing recipes and other raw vegan information as well... Be sure and check out the forum page as you will find many answers to tons of questions... smile

If you haven't done it yet, be sure to fill out your profile so we can all get to know who you are... Good luck to you and your hubby on you new "raw" journey!!!

EDIT:

I see you did your profile, can't wait to check out your website... What an interesting life you must have... smile

• LOL, I didn't even write about our urban homestead: gardens, chickens, and soon, bees. LOL Yeah, it's a very interesting life. We keep busy. :)