Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anyone have any natural deodorant ideas?

I use the Kiss My Face roll-on, and I have to tell you, when it mixes with my perspiration, it smells way funkier than the way my perspiration smells alone. I am almost ready to cave and go back to anti-perspirant, even though I haven't worn it in seven years and know it is iffy to put such a concoction into your pores. Can I get any suggestions besides witch hazel?

Comments

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I've heard that baking soda is a good natural deodorant. I've nevery tried it before. Right now I am useing Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. It works good so far.

• I tried a green superfood type supplement earlier this year. I can't for the life of me remember what brand it was. But while I was on it I didn't have any body odor so there was no need for deoderant. I've heard that others have had similar experiences. I don't know if it's the extreme nutrition or the probiotics or something else that causes this phenomenon, but it was really cool. :)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I was using coconut oil on my armpits after I showered. That seemed to work fine but you have to let it dry. Now I don't use anything though. It's good to sweat, even if it's smelly haha

• Sweating is great! I wouldn't trade it for anything...however, I work in a public library, and it's sort of embarassing. I have not gone to that seeming plateau of no-smell-sweatiness yet. It's really hard to imagine.

I think I will try the coconut oil trick tomorrow.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I don't mind sweating a little but I'm not a huge sweater so if I do I just wash my pits out occasionally. Sometimes I use baking soda but it burns a tiny bit.

I say, eat more raw and you don't have to worry about odor!

• I have always had a problem with underarm odor. Even when I used commercial stuff (before realizing how bad that was), I had trouble finding something that really worked for me. When I quit commercial stuff and went on the search for something natural, I had months of disasterous experimentation. Natural products that worked well for others didn't do it for me. I don't mind sweating (that's a great thing for the body), but just couldn't take the embarrassment of odor.

I finally found something that works fantastic for me!! I use a roll-on deoderant from Real Purity. Honestly, this is the best deoderant that I've ever used! It's a bit pricey, but so very worth it. I order 4 or 5 at a time to save on shipping. I'm not affiliated with them and don't get any commissions or anything. I just love this stuff. I hope they never quit making it, 'cause there just isn't anything that works so well for me. I know I sound like a commercial, but I love it! There might be something in it that I'm not aware isn't so good, but it's clean enough for me! www.realpurity.com

• You might not have thought of searching the recipes for a deodorant , but here it is!

http://www.goneraw.com/node/13046

I have not tried it, but it sounds good :~)

here is the link to the crystal thread, which I do use

http://www.goneraw.com/node/18645

• Thank you so much, everybody. I'm gonna fiddle with all of these suggestions.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi,

I've been using plain old deoderant (as in NOT antipersperant) for a few years... strangely I sweat MORE when I used antipersperant.

Granted the kind I use has alcohol and perfume in it (Brutt) but it's far better than heavy metals. Im sure someone makes an unscented kind.

• I love the salt crystal! A lot of people try it and say it doesn't work for them, but there are a few tricks to it and everyone who's followed them seems to have success.

1) Rub for 20-30 seconds (most people don't do it long enough)

2) Run the salt crystal under the water in between rubs and when you're finished (to rinse off bad bacteria that get stuck to it)

3) Don't give up to quickly! It won't work for the first few days. You have to wait until it kills all the bad bacteria for it to really start working. I'd recommend giving it a full week before deciding it doesn't work for you.

4) It works a lot better if you shave your pits (unfortunately)

Although the salt crystal is not really an antipersperant, I have noticed that I don't sweat nearly as much with the crystal, and it makes a world of difference when your sweat is odorless!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I've been using the salt crystal for about 3 years. Still have the original stick, and love it.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Plain white vinegar, *or* plain vodka. I sweat less with the vinegar. I also "second" the coconut oil, heard about it on this site, and tried it recently. Works well, but I did have one day that was problematic- I never have with the other two, so I've gone back to them, for my "everyday" use, and the oil for occasional use.

The salt crystal and baking soda both give me itches. Tried them both well over fifteen years or so, ago.

Annabelle77 You are not alone! Its been since my twenties (45 now) when I used commercial products, but I discovered I sweated more with antiperspirant, than I did with regular deodorant, too!

• Try www.bee-simple.com it's awesome. I love the fresh scent.

• I went through a lot of different kinds This is the only one that worked for me.

Naturally Fresh deodorant crystal Roll on. Works great for me. & if you want a little more smell to it, spray rose water over it after it drys on your skin.

Also Shave everyday. It causes more odor. At least for me.

Good luck!

Finding the right deodorant was hell for me.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thanks for sharing the bee-simple site, kiwiandme- But I must be overlooking the deodorant- I couldn't find any. (?)

Belinda~ Looks like a good one, you have found there! Thanks for sharing the realpurity site. :~)

• I emailed the shop owner for you pixx. She said that she was sorry. She does have them available for $4 a piece. She is going to put them back up, but for the time being you can email her through her website to order one. Make sure you ask for the fresh scent. I LOVE it!

• Hah! Megan Lyne, I am currently experimenting with the Naturally Fresh roll-on, because it was cheap, but it still makes a funkdified smell when mied with my oh-so-dainty sweat.

I guess finding the right deodorant is a (hellish) process. Hee hee.

By the way, about the salt crystal and the "natural" deodorants- I see that the main ingredient is frequently an alum derivative. Isn't this fairly similar to aluminum, the ingredient in anti-perspirants/deodorants that we are trying to stay away from?

I understand it is processed far less and so remains much less risky, but still....?

• And VODKA as a deodorant? I have to say, that is the first I've heard of that! I always knew it had to have more than one use, besides just swilling it, that is. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I was more or less just curious of the ingredients, kiwiandme, but thanks much for looking into that! I've been using the vodka/vinegar for well over a decade; I doubt I'll change any time soon. Works well! :~)

• GlitterGirlGlitterGirl Raw Newbie

I use a little spray that has a bunch of essential oils, witch hazel, grain alcohol, and some other plant extracts. You can mix your own or buy a premixed one (Burt's Bees, Common Sense, V'Tae are nice). You'll still sweat but, if you get the good stuff, the essential oils will neutralize the smell right away. I carry a little spray with me to freshen up if I can't wash up throughout the day : ) Sprays work so well for smell!

• I've used the Kiss my Face lavender roll-on for about a year now, and I did notice that at first my arms were BRIGHT red where I'd rolled it...that went away gradually...maybe lavender is quite strong on a sensitive area like that?

OH, but my life totally CHANGED when I discovered Tom's of Maine Natural Long-lasting care (it has HOPS in it of all things) I must admit, the 3$ was well worth it! I bought it off of www.iherb.com.

WOW

I LOVE it. I would be in an advert for them (if only they'd ask me...)

The strangest thing has happened to me: back in Toronto, I'd have been repulsed by the slightest body stink; now, in Korea, EVERYONE (well, nearly everyone: NOT ME because of Tom's!!!) is beginning to get this rotting stink because of the blasted humidity and heat. Now, it doesn't bother me quite so much! I won't say "at all" because let's be honest: armpit stink is brutal and ought to be dealt with swiftly and surely.

• Maybe I'm gross, but I kind of like the smell. A body needs to sweat.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

nefertiti666, et al. Yep! Body odor is caused by bacteria (not sweating). If you create an environment that bacteria can not breed, you will not smell. Bacteria can not live in alcohol. Vodka is the only one that I know of that does not give off it's own smell. Sometimes I do add in essential oils, for scent. Vinegar also does well, and I've noticed I sweat less, but the BF says I smell like a salad (between the vinegar, and the moisturizing oils I use after a shower), for about ten minutes. lol. But the vinegar smell goes away after that. I use the vodka more often, because of that. (Oh, if anyone tries the vinegar idea- Use *white* plain vinegar. I have had someone tell me they tried apple cider, and smelled like rotten apples by the end of the day! yuck!)

I've also recently heard of drama troupes using vodka to cut down on dry-cleaning costs of costumes, too. It apparently works well to remove odors from fabric. I kind of think that's sort of nasty... :P

• pixxpixx Raw Master

lulushka8~ Hmm, cool! I've used vinegar for that, for years,but never thought of the vodka for that! Good to know, for when I am out of vinegar (which happens frequently, here- I use it for general cleaning around the house.)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

tabbycats_tofu I'm bettin' it's something else in the Kiss my Face, as I really wouldn't expect the lavender to do that- unless you are allergic. I've used lavender EO in the vodka and in moisturizing oils (avocado- coconut, etc) with no problem under my arm, on my face, and all over.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ah, but be careful, don't add the oil to a hot bulb- that can explode, if the oil is cold!! :P

Interesting about the banana! Hmmm... :~)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

yeah, just make sure the bulb is cool, before you add the oil- as in, right before you turn it on.

:~)

• pixx, what kind of vodka do you use?

• Pixx --- I think you're right! i've been looking at the ingredient list and it seems some of the stuff in there is pretty serious...uhmm...

I guess on non-freshly-shaven-armpits it'll be okay:)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I find that I don't have to wear it often, which is great. But, on those rare occasions, I have an absolute favorite... It's by Terressentials (http://www.terressentials.com/bath.html#deo). It gets great reviews. My mom loved it, too.

Cheers to fresh smelling armpits!

Kristen Suzanne

www.KristensRaw.com