Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New To Gone Raw

My name is Holly and today is my first day going completely raw.

I can't explain how good this feels.

I used to have good eating habits until I quit my career in dance.

Over the last 4 years I have gained excessive amounts of weight.

I want to feel healthy again!

Breakfast: Fruit Shake: 1 banana, 1 peach, 2 strawberries, 10 blueberries, water

Snack: Broccoli, cucumber and cherries!

Lunch: Salad

Snack: Apple

Dinner: Mixed vegetables

Thank goodness for this website because the recipes will keep me going on my healthier lifestyle!

The best of luck to everyone!

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Hi Holly! What form of dance did you do?

Swayze

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Hi Holly!

Welcome to the raw food world! I started the transition about 2.5 months ago and now I'm doing so well now, eating about 90% raw on most days and occasionally I can eat 100% raw, which is sometimes hard to do. I do have the occasional slips with bread, but I'm still working on it.

I was also a very healthy eater before going raw and I was in gymnastics when I was younger, so I know about the weight gain when quitting.

You might not want to go 100% raw all at once, because it might be harder to maintain long term, instead and slowly transitioning. At first I cut out any starchy foods, like bread, rice, potatoes, etc, and replaced it with more fruit. I also added more vegetables in my salads. I also replaced my chicken, fish and eggs with tofu and edamame beans and gradually cut them out (which took about 1.5 months to do). Also I would eat nuts & seeds everyday because my body felt like it needed more protein and fat. Now eat nuts maybe once a week. My body needed time to adjust on getting full on fruits and vegetables, but now it's finally starting to get used to it.

You have found a great website, because it is thanks to people here that I have being doing so well. Everyone is so supportive and knowlegeable.

Good luck and enjoy everything fresh that you are eating :)

• Hey Swayze! I used to perform ballet, modern (Graham based), jazz, tap......,pretty much anything I could get my feet in! :)

• Hello AVL! Thank you so much for your post. I agree with transitioning. The first day I decided to go raw I was having unbelievable cravings. I was able to get through the weekend completely raw but I really started to feel horrible today. I became really dizzy earlier and decided to not jump into things so quickly. I ate some brown rice. How do you guys keep going strong? How do you stay completely raw (uncooked)? I completely believe in this type of life choice but it is really going to be difficult for me not to cook some of my veggies!

Holly

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Well it's not very easy at times, but other times it's a piece of cake. I live on my own, so I don't have an tempting cooked foods around. But whenever I go visit my mom I get huge cravings and usually give in. So my theory is "out of sight, out of mind".

I get very excited to eat new foods, like new fruits that I've never had before, or exciting things like raw brownies. There are good recipes on this site, so you should check them out.

I think that it's a good idea that you are taking things slowly rather than jump into it too quickly. Also, many people are not 100% raw, so it's ok if you have some cooked foods. Just do what feels good for you. I'm not 100& raw, but I am aiming to be 100% eventually.

I can totally relate with the cooked vegetables thing. I can eat most vegetables raw, but I need to eat broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus cooked.

I agree with AVL. There's no need to worry about going 100% right away. It just leads to frustration and guilt if you are not able to succeed.

I only wish I had made a slower transition to raw, instead of forcing 100% from the get go. This would have made things much easier for me and I'm sure I actually would have reached 100% raw much sooner.

Swayze

• I too jumped into raw more quickly than I should have. It went great for about a week and then I went into a non-raw (and not healthy) binge. I'm starting up my raw again soon. I think the key is to (obviously) focus on being vegan and then I think the next step would be to cut out gluten. Gluten is highly addictive so once you get over this addiction, then there are only a few more cooked foods you need to get rid of (keep in mind that most soy/asian sauces contain a wheat which means gluten). Of course, it's not necessary to be gluten-free and raw but I think it just kind of makes sense.

Also this is a beautiful program as an intro to raw (and it's free): http://www.therawdivas.com/90-Day-Detox.php

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you do :)

http://peaceandluvlife.blogspot.com/

• Great post. It really does feel great first switching to raw. If anyone is ever of need of some great raw food recipes and tips, there is a great blog with tons of content on raw and superfoods: http://healthyfoodrawdiet.com. Good luck!

• I'm getting into eating raw again. I have never been able to do it 100% and am always on and off.

It is such an inspiration to read all your comments.

iluvlife, gluten was definitely one of the hardest things for me to give up, much more than meat and cheese. I was vegan before I went raw and the bulk of my calories came from grains (i.e. sprouted bread, whole wheat pasta, etc.). I felt so tired and run down all the time. It was great to finally get rid of them. :)

Swayze

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Hi Holly! Congratulations on your choice and welcome to this site. Everyone here is always so supportive, and even after all of this time being raw, I still turn to this site first for inspiration from others. We have all had our ups and downs and distractions, but it gets easier.

If you are trying to lose weight the 'eat anything so long as it is raw' diet works well because you don't have to worry about portion control and 'good' and 'bad' things. I find this as an effective way of transitioning once you have gone through what AVL describes, which is also a very good way of easing into raw. It means that you have permission to eat as much as you feel you need to begin with. After a while, those cravings will stop even more and you will find that you need to eat alot less.

Finally, try to steer clear of too many nuts and dried fruits when starting out - they can end up as too much of a substitute and od'ing on them is not that great either. One or two handfuls can easily turn into a whole bagful. Seeds are better to start with, and when you feel better about your weight, then you don't need to worry about how many nuts you eat.

The big tip is never, ever deprive yourself, and always make sure you have more food with you than you really need.

Good luck.

"The big tip is never, ever deprive yourself, and always make sure you have more food with you than you really need."

That's a great tip. It can take a while to really learn how much food you need in a given day or week, as well as which foods you enjoy the best. Having a huge stock and variety on hand at all times will ensure that you don't wake up one morning with nothing but junk to eat.

Swayze

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

me and my fiancee had a fairly smooth transition to raw. After christmas, we wanted to be healthier, lose weight so we took up the high fiber, low fat diet. We cut out alot of meat, cheese and dairy there (i still had cream in my coffee). We did that for some months, of course eating more veggies to replace what we weren't eating anymore. From there we went to a raw food party and were intrigued, and I took the plunge to do the master cleanse while my fiancee was away. From there it was fate. I tried to make a hot soup. It was horrible. I thought why don't i give raw food a try. Make some amazing meals. Hell, make the lasagna on www.therawchef.com it costs about $40 to feed 6 people but it is the best lasagna you will ever have in your life. From there every meal we had was so tasty and delicious, It made craving cooked food alot easier. Pad Thai. Spinach Thyme Soup. Nori Rolls, Avocado Leaf wraps. I craved pizza, but made a raw pizza that is so amazing I actually prefer that to the cooked version of pizza. Fall in love with raw. that's how you stick with it.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Hello were glad to have you here!