Dehydrator question?

Hi, I am in the market to buy my first dehydrator but I have no idea what to get. I do know to buy the excaliber make and there are a few deals on them here in Canada BUT I don't know which one to buy. There are only 2 of us in our household, I am the only one that is raw vegan. We don't have our own garden yet but I buy lots of produce on a weekly basis. Do you think the 5 tray model will be sufficient enough for us? I think the 9 tray model will be too big and the 4 tray not enough. How many non-stick drying sheets will I need and how long do those last?

Since I am investing in something like this, I want to buy the right one the first time and not have any regrets.

Cheers!

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

First, check craigslist! They pop up on here sometimes. I got a 4 tray on there for... $40 I believe.

But, then I upgraded to the 9-tray. Mostly, I hear that getting the 9-tray is worth the investment. Its not too much more expensive and they last a loong time, so its just nice to have assuming you have enough space for it.

I think this is a pretty good deal, it comes with 5 teflex sheets, which aren't cheap to buy individually.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

Get the 9 tray. You won't regret it. I'm single and the only one in my house that uses the thing. I occasionally have ALL 9 trays full, or at least 9 spaces, sometimes drying things that take up more than one level. Every time I have that puppy full I am so glad I didn't go with the 5 tray.

• I bought the five tray earlier this year, and while it is usually sufficient for what I'm making, I often wish I had more trays to fill up.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Excalibur also has an eBay store selling "blemished" and factory reconditioned units for far less than regular price. Look for the link in the forum somewhere. Fully guaranteed and everything.

There's two of us and we have the 9-tray. It's not THAT much bigger than the 5-tray. I'd get at least 4 paraflex sheets (which you can get from their eBay store too). They should last a long, long time.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

There are only two of us in our household and I find the 5 tray more than sufficient for our needs. I am the raw vegan but he does like the stuff I prepare and will happily eat dehydrated foods. Also the longer I am raw the less I feel the need to eat dehydrated stuff, so I find I use it less and less. I have had my machine now for 3 years and still using the original telflex sheets I bought with the machine.

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

We purchased the 9 tray a few months back and it's great. I dehydrated 7 pounds of cherries the first weekend; I didn't know how much would fit but it holds a lot! My hubby will make several batches of bread and put all of them in the dehydrater at ~100 degrees to let them rise. Go for the 9 tray - it takes up the same footprint (as long as you have room for the height). I must admit it was larger than I expected.

• I would have to agree with the 9 tray I bought mine 2 years ago and I still use it at least once a week for flax crackers and dehydrating items from our garden when things get too plentiful I love "sun dried" tomatoes. I also still have the paraflex sheets from when I bought it and they are still in great shape.