Calories

How do I get more calories?

Comments

• Hi everybody,

I have gotten 1066 calories and 15% fat. What do I eat to get more calories, doctor says 1500 a day. I've had 4 bananas, 4 pears, blueberries, pineapple, spinach, lettuce, 3 tomatoes, squash, carrots, chinese cabbage. I don't know what else to eat.

What do I do?

Please help, it's 8:22 pm here and really don't want to eat more.

Thanks

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Do like Dates? Dried or fresh, whatever you can get your hands on- high in calories and tasty! Most fats and dried fruits (or sweeter ones) are high in calories. Is it for necessary weight gain or is your Doctor just concerned about your lack of calories? Some people maintain healthy weights below or above what is considered "right" and advised. Mangos, seeds, the dates, figs, nuts, oils, you already eat bananas and pears, hm. I would make banana ice cream with nuts (bad food combining but MMM and high calorie) tommorrow. You can fit ALOT more when it is in a smoothie too.. If you have fresh dates they would go well in the "nice"-cream. :) I'm sure I could think of more if I were not so tired.

If you see a healthy higher calorie cooked option, then go for it. You will still get the benefits of raw if on an 80% raw diet. :)

Lots of love and best wishes! Good Night!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

avocados, nuts (cashews, pistachios, etc) will help out alot. 300 in avocado... 500+ calories..for 1 cup..cheers..

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Check out this entry I wrote about counting calories. Just something to keep in mind - it might help you now but I wouldn't stress about it too much (of course, depending on your personal situation) http://jonmcgrath.blogspot.com/2009/04/fallacy-of-counting-calories.html

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

eat more food.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

lol... to put it simply

• I am eating as much as my stomach will hold believe me, I've really been stuff lately. I've order Dr. Graham's book, maybe that will help me figure this all out.

Thanks

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

nuts and oils. You need Essential fatty acids.

where are you getting the 18 grams of fat from now? Certainly not from what you listed.

Smoothies help you fit more in too.

• I drink a lot of smoothies and I have to keep my fat down to 10. I'm on the diet 80/10/10, so that really don't help but thanks any ways.

Take Care

God Bless

• Charliegirl,

If your trying to keep the fat low (you mentioned getting Dr. Graham's book) you may want to cut out the cabbage and squash and carrots. Why I mention this- they are low in calories and will fill you up so you don't have room for more fruit (which is what would probably be the 80/10/10 answer to needing more calories. Still have the spinach (that fullfills your leafy green part). But, I would substitute fruit for the cabbage, squash and carrots.

If your not doing the low fat thing- avacados, or nuts. Someone else already mentioned dates. Great suggestion.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

i had this same problem when i was 100% raw.

now i include raw nuts (almonds) and seeds (flax, sunflower ect).

i also eat sprouted grain breads sometimes (usually one piece per day) and i include lentils rarely.

i would try adding more oils to your salads. and as mentioned above dates are great for adding calories.

eating more calorie dense foods will help because you will be eating less volume, but still getting sufficant calories. hope i helped :)

• Thank You very much

I can't eat seeds or nuts, they just don't settle very good in my stomach. No matter when I eat them or how little I eat.

I don't use oils of any kind, I find that they upset my stomach.

I dont believe we are meant to eat grain, plus I have celiac disease so I have problems with a lot of protein. That is why I'm trying to eat raw is because I can't digest animal protein or bean protein, both will make me very sick.

I do appreciate all the information but I found out I wasn't eating enough fruit. Veggie's I did but not fruit. So, now that I'm on the right track I am doing lots better.

Thank You

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Yep, eat more fruit. You'll do awesome! :)