Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Would appreciate help in purchasing raw book

hello everybody i am looking to buy a new raw book, and i would appreciate some help in choosing one.

right now i have equipment limitations, i only have a blender right now and money is very tight. i could have access to a food processor at times, but generally it's just my blender.

i was thinking of getting either ani phyo's "raw food kitchen", jennifer cornbleet's "raw food made easy", or angela stokes' "raw reform recipes". has anyone read those? i'm just looking for a good book with some general, easy recipes.

thank you so much!

Comments

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

I haven't personally used this recipe book, but I have heard about it from raw friends and it seemed to get decent reviews the last time I checked it out. They're all machine free recipes. Might be worth it to take a look. Lol, now that I'm looking at it, I kinda want it again. Ugh...here I go back to Amazon :D

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Foods-Busy-People-Machine/dp/141161836X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I started with Ani Phyo's book and it's very easy to use without a dehydrator or vitamix. She also has a lot of recipes on her blog www.aniphyo.com - so you can try a couple of those recipes, see if you like them, and then decide on the book (I heart test drives). This site has a lot of really good recipes that are easy to use. If you're looking on a how to, the complete idiot's guide to raw eating was helpful when describing techniques, but the recipes often called for a lot of prep time and dehydrator.

• I love Ani's book! it has very helpful advice as well! I also love RAWvolution by Matt Amsden, its excellent, has simple recipes with very simple ingredients, and you don't need much more then a blender/food processor for them :) I do not have a dehydrator or fancy food processor (just a tiny one), so I know how frustrating it can be not having the right equipment! but, I've found both books super friendly even if you don't have all the supplies! Another excellent book, (more for desserts though) is Ani Phyo's Raw food desserts.. seriously every recipe is SO DELICIOUS! and healthy :)

• thank you guys! i'll check out some recipes on ani phyo's page really soon!

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

I have all 3 books and I would recommend Jennifer Cornbleet's book first, Ani Phyo;s book second and Angela Stoke's book third. If you are just starting out, may I also recommend "Rawsome" by Bridget Mars and Alissa Cohen's book, Living on Live Food. Actually, there are so many good starting out books I'm surely forgetting a few more, but that wasn't your question now, was it.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Oh, by the way, a regular blender works wonderful if you use a minimal amount of liquid at the beginning of the process and blend on the 'ice crush' setting. leave it blend for a while before you add more liquid. good luck.

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

If your wallet is really tight you can just keep it simple. I'm 85 to 90% raw and I only own a 'low speed' :) blender and a dehydrator that I don't really use anymore (not time). I don't even have a book. What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to spend more money than what you already have to be raw, just find the food items that you really like in their natural state and enjoy.

Here is one of my favorite raw blogs that has tons of free recipes (many are adaptations of books recipes), some do require equipment, but others don't:

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps.

• I agree!! I`m new to all this too - with very limited cash and a carnivorous family. Been a veggie for 25 years and coming up to 40 decided to go the full raw foodie thing.. I have looked through a few books, all beautiful pictures and sound dead easy but when it comes to it in the real world time is of the essence and you land up either hungry or eating something you didn't want to.. The best recipes I have found and here on this website!! Real people in the real world without any time :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, this website is great for recipes! I have so many of them printed off and collected together in my own recipe folder.

I've got Ani's 'Raw Food Kitchen' and Jennifer Cornbleet's book too and they are both good. I've found Ani's recipies are all pretty high in fat whilst Jennifer's are simple, easy and more day to day meal ideas. She also tells you how long things keep, which was really helpful for me when I started out.

You could also check out people's raw food blogs as they are also really good for ideas. (I am so nosey and love to see what other people make/eat!)

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Like so many other people I would recommend Ani's, which is ironic because I do not own it! BUT...I am researching machine and have done a significant amount of time studying Ani. The one thing I noticed were how incredibly easy her recipes are. Talk about recipes that are super fast... require minimal ingredients and almost no major equipment. I would send all new people off in her direction though once you get a good feel around a kitchen, I would try adding to the recipes. I feel they give you great direction but most of all could use some improving upon. It is great to use hers as a base and then add your own personal flair..afterall, all people have their own unique palate. I for one can never have enough garlic and other seasonings! I highly respect her philosophy and what she has done for raw foods. She makes it easy for people to dip their toes in the water and that can be hardest part of all.....starting!

Its good to look around online but having an actual book is great too. I tote one of my many books along with me to my grocery store visits. I am notorious for forgetting ONE ingredient which in turn will mess me all up! In fact.....I started making my zucchini / yellow pepper wraps and I forgot the damn avocado. So now I have to go to the store in a sec! ugh.

Anywho...check around online and see what people have to offer on their sites and such. As of late...the majority of what I make comes form online. I myself have a blog that I love posting pictures and recipes at so feel free to take a look. More recipes and pictures are coming.... like the amazing chocolate truffle cookies I made last night. So good! I just need to pop the recipe and pics online. Take care and good luck!

Cheers!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Jennifer Cornbleet's book was the first raw book I ever bought. It almost completely discouraged me from sticking with raw foods. The recipes took so much time and nothing except for the fatty desserts tasted very good.

Instant Raw Sensations by Frederic Patenaude and High Energy Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham are both excellent. The recipes take only minutes, including prep time, and only require a blender.

Swayze

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I felt the exact same way with jennifer cornbleets book as well. My best friend got it for me as my fist book and I thought 'oh what the hell am I going to do'. Having some experience under my belt now doesn't make me so horrified!

Cheers!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

How funny, I really liked her book. I lived off the sun dried tomato pate at one stage and the mock sour cream and chive dip is one of the best discoveries I've ever made!

Different strokes eh?!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I think Jennifer Cornbleet's book is lovely and not overly complex. A good book for just starting starting out with plenty of simple recipes would be Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Food.

• I think Matt Amsdens Rawvolution is a great starter book. There are plenty of delicious soups , salads (the mock tuna salad and the eggless egg salad are sooo good), pies, and pastas that only require a blender and are pretty easy. This was my second raw book purchase and I use it so much the binding has actually started to come apart! This is also one of my go to books when cooking for non-vegans. I would recommend it over the other 3 I have for your situation. Have fun!

• I'm in a a predicament as well when it comes to the raw diet. I believe if I find a raw prep book that it will solve all my problems then I could stick to it.

1. A book that has mostly recipes that don't require dehydrating (I've pretty much have gotten that down).

2. Recipes that don't eventually taste the same--or almost all italian. Not many desserts, because that's easy to make.

3. Book that gives lots of info about Daily Requirement and how easily attainable as well as eveyday recipes that don't take more than 45 min to make.

Until then I don't think I could be 75% raw or more. I already have Eating Raw (Complete idiot's guide), but most of the recipes are dehydrated. I'm not a salad everyday type of gal, and I don't mind the nut based meals nor am I afraid of fat--but I have an avocado/high fat intolerance (bloating and feel sluggish).

If there is any one out there (echo echo echo) Who can help me (echo echo) Please respond ASAP