A new Aussie Girl

Hey Everyone, here's some stuff about me:

When I decided to go vegan (a few months back after a few months of vegetarianism) I looked into to what seems like every vegan resource on the internet and got sidetracked by all the offshoots like raw foodism!

My aim is not to go 100% raw, I think there's a lot to be said for the movement but it's not my personal goal. I currently eat about 50% raw and I'd like to increase the percentage a bit, as well as work on eliminating things like caffeine and refined flour/sugar etc.

Even though I dont eat all raw, I eat at least 90% fresh and unprocessed.

I LOVE to cook, I spend at least an hour in the kitchen every day and at least that again researching recipes and putting my own together.

One of my main aims in the next two years is to travel (EVERYWHERE) spending time on farms and in alternative cultures, learning about local foods and lifestyles and how my ideas can fit in with theirs.

I love this site because other people's eating habits intrigue me (I studied nutrition for a bit and now I'm a bit of a nut - I'm the only person I know who gets a kick out of watching people empty their shopping baskets at shops and markets.)

I wont lie, I come for the recipes! The more people restrict their diets, the more creative they get.

I'm 22 and a student in Melbourne, Australia, I major in Marine Biology and Ecology.

I've gotten really involved in gender politics over the last couple of years as well as in environmental movements - I dig a concept called 'ecofeminism' (I just used the word 'dig', sue me.)

I ride horses, or I used to before I moved to the city for uni. I grew up on a farm so I'm fully acquainted with all of the practices I now stand against. My parents don't love the feminism or the leftist politics, but they'll get used to it.

That's definitely enough from me.

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Hi Jaimie :)

First off I just wanted to say how cool I think it is that you want to take these next two years to travel, that is something I hope that I can do myself after I graduate from high school! It sounds like you have a really good plan underway and you know exactly what you want to do and where you want to go with raw foods in your diet which is totally awesome. The thing I like about raw foods is that everything is fresh and whole, perfect for optimum nutrition. That being said i do include some cooked food it my diet. Good luck and I hope your doing good!

Michal

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

Hi Jaimie,

It's nice to "meet" you. I've seen several of your posts so far and always find what you have to say very interesting. Lol, I hear you when you say you love to study other people's habits. I', the same way, I am definitely a "people watcher" especially at grocery stores and restaurants. In fact, this summer I got kicked out of an ice cream shoppe...we went after a very long bike trip because they do fresh fruit and ice smoothies...but some people wondered aloud how soft serve ice cream stayed soft...so I very kindly informed them of propylene glycol...aka...anti-freeze...which prompted them to cancel their order and leave...which prompted me getting da boot out of the store but that's okay cus I bet those people will read ingredient lists from now on! Anyway...good luck in your studies and travel! I would love to do something like that after I raise my three little blessings!

Andrea