Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How many?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Since winter is coming soon, it is now season for oranges/clementines and grapes. I'm not sure how much how much to eat for a monomeal.

How many oranges should I eat for a monomeal?

How many clementines?

Also, how much grapes?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

avl, for oranges, i would eat at least 6. they only have about 60 calories in each one. even an orange smoothie would be good with just oranges and water.

since clementines are smaller, i could eat 12 of those! i've probably done that without even thinking about it.

grapes, i would do maybe 2 lbs?? that's about a bag and a half of grapes. that's my exact lunch i bring to school with me every day. it's easy to nibble on them in class unlike crunching on apples or peeling oranges.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

grapes: at least 2 lbs. You might need a banana or 2 or 6 afterward.

oranges:6-15

clementines: 20ish

I normally eat 2 meals a day so my meals might be larger than yours need to be?

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I had 8 oranges and 1 pint of strawberries, which was enough. It's hard to tell when you are trying something new because your body is not used to it so you don't know how much you need. I might even be ok with 7 oranges, so I'll keep playing around with it.

I'll try grapes today, maybe 2lbs like you guys suggested and see how I feel

my mom has swine flu (so does my sister) and she got a citrus juicer yesterday solely to make fresh orange juice to get her Vit C!! it was soo delicious- she made me a huge glass. i could've just drank orange juice for dinner if she made enough.

i love eating huge meals of fruit! come to think of it, you might even need more than 2 lbs of grapes, avl. grapes are really addicting!!

"You might need a banana or 2 or 6 afterward."- this cracks me up, zin. PAHAHAHA

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

OMG I hope your mom and sister are ok. My brother had the swine flu this summer and I know how sick you can get from it. He was really really sick.

Mmmm, fresh orang juice is the best, I had some the other night and it was declicious!

Oh, I know how addctive grapes are, I'm sure I could eat 10lbs of them and not get sick of them!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I had grapes for lunch yesterday and today and both times I had 2 lbs, which was plenty for me. I felt pretty full afterward and wasn't hungry for a good 4 hours after that. I didn't know they were going to fill me up as much as they did, but it was an awesome meal that was so sweet and juicy :) YUM!

And the good thing is that grapes are on sale this week!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

Mono meals should be just that.... a MEAL. I say you eat until you feel good. Theres no magic number for everyone. Right now I am doing about 25 bananas a day (thats it) and consume around 5 at a time. Some people eat nearly 10 in a sitting. It's just what their body needs. I am sedentary right now because of my hip bursitis pain so my body isnt requiring the 10-15 nanas that others need! I am loving my little banana smoothie island because I am consuming fat as well leaving me feeling on cloud 9!

I havent been online lately (well, on this site) due to dedicating myself to the mono meal lifestyle. It's been taking alot of my energy.

Hope all is well. I always like reading your posts!

Cheers!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks for your input iliveyourdream :)

Wow, 25 bananas a day, that's dedication! I completly understand how it would take a lot of your energy to focus on eating your banana island.

You know, when I first heard of monomeals I thought people were crazy to eat the same thing in large quantities for a meal. Also, it took a long time for my body (or my mind) to adjust to the idea. But now that's I've been doing it for a bit, I'm getting more and more used to it and quite enjoying it too. It's so easy, since you only have to prepare 1 food, there's no mess and no long prep time...just wash/peel and eat!

I

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've been thinking about getting into mono eating. I sometimes feel a bit bloated by late afternoon and I wonder if having a mono meal lunch would help me out. My tummy also seems to balloon at times.

I was trying to imagine how many bananas it would take for me to feel full and I think it would probably be only about 2-3 decent sized ones. Having said that, I reckon I'd need to eat again about 2 hours later. I think that's probably how I'd have to eat, smallish portions more frequently.

I love the idea of just eating at huge bag of grapes for lunch though, I can just imagine the comments at work.

For those of you who frequently eat mono meals, how much do you rotate the type of food you're eating? Do you tend to stick to the same types of food or not? I guess it's like any meal, you tend to have your favorites and then some things you'd eat every now and again.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

All I have to say is be careful with eating grapes. In my first two months of being raw the only time I felt royally ill was when I binged on green grapes and I felt so bloated afterwards all I could do was sleep!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Laura-Jane - How did you feel ill? Like stomach issues? Was it just with green grapes or did it happen with purple & black grapes too? So fat I've had 3 monomeals of grapes (purple & black) & I feel fine. Did it happen after the first time or was it after a few days/weeks?

sv3 - I think that you should try monomeals. It will be easier for you to digest your food, since they are not all mixed together inside your stomach. I'm still experimenting with certain foods to see how much I need to eat in order for my meal to satisfy for at least 3.5 hours, but without feeling overly full. So far this is what has worked for me:

- 1.5 melons

- 2lbs of grapes

- 8 small navel oranges

- 5 apples

I would like to try different fruits, but I like to stick to one type for 1 week or 2 in order for my body to get used to it. I haven't tried a monomeal of bananas yet, but I would probably eat 4 or 5 at a time.

i usually just monomeal at lunch because i'm at school and NEVER feel like preparing something special haha the most convenient things for me to take are apples, bananas, and grapes. there's no cutting or using a peeler or anything so i can walk to class while eating these things and they won't be too messy. today, i brought 7 bananas- i had 5 before my workout classes (1 hr personal fitness and 1 hr powerlifting- clean and jerks ahh so tiring) and then 2 after the workout.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Lol, it was just green grapes. Honestly, I think I just over-ate. From now on I am careful with grapes and pineapple. They are my favourites and I have to keep myself in check, especially if I eat them as "dessert" after a raw meal. :)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Dark Grapes are the best for cleansing. Just read The Grape Cure, Johanna Brandt.

Brandt recommends minimum of one pound and a maximum of four pounds (1.816 kg) that should not be exceeded.

So, for a monomeal, I would guess 1-4 lbs a day!

Total, guess of course.... based on the reading for cleansing... not sure about regular diet.

• lol i can eat 8 pounds of grapes a day!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Oh it's cherries for me- I got a bunch of them in my organic order and it was really hard not to eat them all in one go...but I managed it- saved them for my smoothies!