Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nut butters ...?

Oh my,, im desperatee! I'm always triying to get my almond or any nut butter but it just doesn't work. And I'm against adding more oil, so i added water this time.... It wasn't bad, actually it helped. What do you know? Has anyone added waterr? Help pleaseee, i love nut butters and where I live i can't get them (Mexico) so i have to make them, unless I order them from internet but what a waist of time... Send tips THAANKS

Comments

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

using a little almond milk usually helps... i've found that pumpkin seeds make really good butter without having to add any oil.

also, do you soak your nuts/seeds before you make the butter? this will help tremendously, and you'll get a creamier end result!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I am also having the same problem, it just does not get creamy at all. I tried soaking my almonds first & I thought that it would help with the consistency, but it never turned into "butter". It ended up being just thicker granules. The only way I got my almond butter to be creamy was by roasting the almonds for 10 minutes. I don't know why, but that seemed to work. However, I want to find a way of making almond butter without having to roast them.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I wondered this too and talked to someone who lived at artisana and said they ferment and have special machines to do it.

I have heard and seen videos of people making nut butter with their champion juicer. Anyone tried that?

• I see many posts about nut butter preperation here. I have successfully been making my own almond butter for a while now. I will share what I do. I do not soak my almonds before, and I cannot say that it is raw becasue the FP makes things hot, so I dont know how to solve this. I have also tried it in my champion juicer and it doesnt work. OK so that said, I grind the almonds, and keep doing so for at least 20 min with the "S" blade on the quisenart. You will see it go through stages, first crumbs, second oily crumbs, then it will stick to the bottom, you may need to scrape it up a bit, then it will eventually form into a ball, that's an important step becasue then you know youre almost there! Keep going (taking breaks to cool off motor or contents ok as well at any time) after about 5 minutes it will turn into butter. You can add some almond butter from a previous batch at this point to speed things along but you want to keep going at this stage until it's the consistancy that you like. You just need a ton of patience but let me tell you it tastes amazing when it's fresh and you shouldnt need to add any oil. Put in the fridge and enjoy! (sorry for spelling errors if any)

• fiberartchic, thanks for the suggestion. I too struggle with getting my almond the right consistency; and i hate adding so much oil.

• haha - funny story.

so i tried making almond butter by blending the almonds in the food processor. I was making it based on the suggestion.

anyway, i was just processing away thinking..hmm...ill just let it go and blend and blend and it will be smooth.

HA! so i was about 5 minutes into this thing and the food processor starts SMOKING! hahaha

Thank goodness the husband said something or else we could of had a little char mixed in (dont think thats raw you know). hahaha

oh good times.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

I don't soak mine. Similar to FiberArtChick, the trick is to just keep on processing. Don't give up! The nuts go through different stages.

I blogged about what I do: http://therawtarian.com/raw-almond-butter-recipe/

I don't add water, although I'm sure you could and the world wouldn't end!

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Jonsi and Alex have great recipes for nut pates- they go quite creamy- check out their website. They can be spread on crackers. I myself haven't a blender so just buy organic crunchy peanut butter- it is divine.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

What are you using to make them? A juicer or a blender? I have had good and bad results with my Vitamix. Sometimes it comes out creamier than other times. I haven't quite figured it out either, but I do know if you are using something other than a Vitamix or Juicer you won't have much luck.

I'm going to have to try soaking them first (I know I should be doing that anyway) and see how that work myself. Oh, but typically I only put in 2-3 TBSP of olive oil and sometime sweeten with agave or raw honey.