Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dehydrated chips

Just got a dehydrator for christmas...totally excited. I made my first batch of sweet potato chips with some salt and while they are perfectly crispy, they were not exactly flavorful...bland to be exact.

Anyone have good chip recipes for the dehydrator? I also have a juicer and wanted to do something with the left over pulp but don't know what...any ideas?

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Look up the kale chip recipes on this site. YUM. There is also a tag for pulp so you can find recipes that use it. Have fun searching!

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

I had 4 bananas that were too ripe/spotted for my taste. I used my food processor to slice them evenly and placed them into layers using several dehydrator trays. After maybe 12 hrs at 120 they were fantastic! I've had store-bought dried bananas and they are nothing like these! This was well worth the effort. If you're looking for the sweet/salty combination I'd try sprinkling salt on a few just to try!

I also tried the salt & vinegar chips recipe on this site. They were good but next time I'll be braver with the salt while the chips are still "wet" and use my food processor for the slicing instead of the spiralizer (sp?).

Let me know if you find a good one!

• JDJD

Thank you for the recommendations.

Suasoria-did your kale chips just crumble in your mouth? I made them once but in the oven and they just seemed so thin and crumbly when I ate them. Is it different in the dehydrator?

MacANoogie-did your banana chips turn brownish? I've heard that the color of fruit turns brown during dehydration?

Anyone ever do Apple chips or pineapple? Can those be dried completely or will they remain chewy?

• pundee, how did you make the sweet potato chips? How thick, how long in, what temp? I've got several from my garden & I'd love to make chips!

• Hi!

I've made several different kinds of potato chips, including sweet potato, and I've really found that the trick is to soak them in saltyyyy vinegar water for about a day or two. Then drain them and season them however you like (I like a combo of chili powder, garlic powder, and a little more salt), and stick them in the dehydrator. They're soooo good and definitely satisfy a chip craving.

• JDJD

AlyceA-I tried to make mine as thin as possible but had a problem. The lowest setting on my mandolin slicer wouldn't slice the potato so I had to go thicker (1/8 in.)...too thick in my opinion. The ones I managed to do on the lower setting were perfect. Maybe if I try a peeler I can get them thinner.

I originally started to dehydrate at 110-112 and they were taking forever so I bumped it up to 140 for a bit and then back down to 112. I read that you can start out at 140 for the first hour because it will not reach that and then put the temp down. Anyway, when all was said and done it was about 7 hours to total crispy on the thicker ones!

paige4-do you have some sort of ratio you use for salt/vinegar/water? I would love to try another batch.

Nope, they were delicious. If they crumble they may be over-dried.

Pundee - the banana chips did not brown much at all. There was a slight browning in the center of each chip but it looked perfectly natural and did not in any way discourage consumption!! They really were wonderful and you get so many chips from each banana. They are totally worth the effort.

• JDJD

Thanks for all the responses.

MacANoogie-I am going to do bananas this weekend. How long did yours takes and at what temp? I assume they were totally crispy?

I started at 125* for 9 hours. Then I dropped the temp down to 115* and they dried around 7 hours more. I think they were in a little long (I was sleeping) but that didn't seem to hurt them. Unfortunately the book that came with the dehydrator didn't give a time for bananas so I had nothing to go by.

Good luck!!

• JDJD

Ok, so I did my first batch of banana chips and they came out great. I didn't dry mine to a total crisp though. Started at 140 for 1 hour and then dropped to 112 for 10 hours. I cut them 1/8 in. and sprinkled some with cinnamin.

macanoogie-how thick did you cut your chips? 16 hrs. seems like a lot of drying time. Were they totally crunchy?

• I am in the process of purchasing a dehydrator and a mandoline and was wondering if anyone would share which product they have. Also, I've read about top mounted motors, bottom motors and back motors. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear you liked your chips! Mine ended up various sizes based on how they fed into the food processor - gravity fall vs. being pushed with the plunger. I would say an eighth of an inch was around average, although the thinnest slivers ended up being my absolute favorite. All of my chips were crispy but probably would have been removed from the dehydrator a bit sooner if I'd gotten out of bed earlier that morning. I also have a bad habit of removing the door to check/test the goods inside and think it probably has an impact on the overall dry time.

I bought two big bunches of bananas today and if they last I'll dry another batch tomorrow or Wednesday. Using cinnamon sounds pretty good and I'm going to try to get them as thin as possible.

Myrtlebeach8369 - I purchased the Excalibur 9-tray system and love it. The large size is great, especially when seasonal fruits like cherries drop in price. I also appreciate their design of having the fan in the back. I've dehydrated several items at once and the tastes didn't mix at all. The company's promotion at the time included non-stick sheets and their "Preserve it Naturally" recipe/guide book. I feel the price was worth it and would definitely do it again.

I tried using a mandolin but kept cutting my fingers. Now I use a basic Hamilton Beach food processor and keep my fingers blood-free! Honestly, it's much easier - and faster - for me.

• JDJD

Myrtlebeach8369- I have an Oxo Mandeline slicer. I like it but as everyone points out you have to be careful of the fingers. I cut myself once but I was trying sooooo hard to get that last slice in :( I just got the Excalibur 5-Tray which has a back fan. After using it twice I can tell it does not dry uniform. It seems like the bottom trays dry quicker and the pieces by the door take longer (makes sense though). Defintely a great product.

• Hi Pundee, I've heard that same comment on other forums regarding the Excalibur 5. I am really looking forward to get started with this project. Once again, that you for taking the time to respond.

• Sorry Macanoogie I failed to put your name on my prior response. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

• Thank you so very much for responding. I've researched so much information that I was getting mixed up. The only thing I remembered was get a top motor because it was easier to clean. I'll also look into the food processor vs. the mandolin. Thank you again

• Sorry for the late reply!

i don't really have any exact measurements. For a big big bowl of sliced potatoes i'll use like a cup of vinegar and fill the rest with water and use a good 2 handfuls of salt.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Oooh, it's ages been since I made banana chips, I must do some soon. The only problem is I scoff loads in one go so after all those hours of dehydrating they never last long! It's the same with kale chips.

Kale chips sound good! I have lettuce/spinach pulp left from juicing this morning that I was going to make into something but I'm not sure what it will end up being. Anyone have a good suggestion?

SV3 - how do you make your kale chips?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I use this recipe as a guide:

http://goneraw.com/recipe/cheesy-kale-chips

I don't use as many cashews as it says, I tend to use about 1/4 cup cashews, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and leave out the agave.

They taste amazing!

• JDJD

sv3-wow, those kale chips sound awesome. I had no idea! I just thought you rubbed them with salt and popped them in. This recipe is great. Question though-is the nutritional yeast necessary? What exactly is it for?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

The nutritional yeast helps give them a really cheesy flavour but you could leave it out if you wanted. I'm sure they'd still be nice, but I really like the cheese hit!

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I just tried sweet potato chips and really do not care for them. I have tried this with whites potatoes and didn't care for them either.

The texture and taste is not that great and I am not crazy about how they feel in my stomach.

So, for me, I think I am going to leave potatoes out of the dehydrator.

But, the kale chips are the next on my agenda to try. I found kale chips at my local health food store and they were selling for $10 so I took a pass on purchasing them and am going to try to make them this weekend.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I recently made kale chips using the "Marriage Proposal Dipping Sauce" recipe from this site. They were outstanding. i usually make them with nutritional yeast, cashews, bell pepper, sundried tomato, cayenne, salt, pepper and lime. I love those, but I would say these are just as good. And, the leftover sauce is great.

• JDJD

ALL

I just dehydrated some chips for 12 hours and turned the dehydrator off this morning because I was leaving for work (afraid to leave it running). I was wondering if I could continue this evening to make my chips crispy? Right now they are chewy. Has anyone done this before?

Yes, you can turn the dehydrator back on when you come back. I got a cheap lamp timer that I use sometimes if it's on overnight or during the day. I wouldn't fear leaving it on during the day. They use very little energy and don't get sooo hot you'd start a fire. You just don't want to over-dry things.

I use a mandoline from MIU

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-France-Professional-Mandoline-Stainless/dp/B0012XQYYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263856667&sr=1-1

But there's a very important accessory you need with any mandoline - a cut-resistant glove!

http://www.amazon.com/Cut-resistant-gloves/dp/B00078N8Z4

• i've gone out and left my dehydrator on

the temp is so low

i'm never worried that it'll burn or catch fire...

they do make the excalibur with a 24 (or is it 27? ) hr timer

using a lamp timer is a good idea if you need it to shut off at a particular time and you won't be home

or don't have the model with the timer.

i opted for the 9 tray excalibur also

the 3900

without the timer

it's a great tool to have for sure.

i don't have a mandoline yet

i use my cuisinart if i need to slice or the saladacco

i've read so many mixed reviews on mandolines i just can't decide...