Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lunches and Dinners, Other than salad??

I am only on day 10, and I am already sick of plain old salad! I have had salad with home made dressing every single day for the last 9 days! Please give me some ideas for non salad-y lunches and dinners.

I am also a high schooler and I live with my family and I am the only vegan. Please give me something easy :-)

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I tend to eat fruit all day until dinner (when I have my large salad). For lunch I tend to bring a large container with ONE of the following things:

-2lbs of grapes

-1/2 cantaloupe, 1/2 honeydew & 1/2 mini watermelon

-Raw apple sauce made with 4 apples, a few strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon

That's VERY eay to prepare and fills me up for a good 3 -3.5 hours.

For dinner you could make, what I call "pepper boats" (I just made that up!)

-cut a bell pepper in 2 and empty the seeds out. Keep it to fill it out with the following:

-chop 1 mango, 1/4 or 1/2 avocado, green onions, juice of 1/2lemon or lime, tomato, basil. Mix it all in a bowl.

-Fill the pepper boats with the salsa you just made.

I also make zucchini pasta with my spiralizer. You can you a peeler and peel the zucchini into long fettuchini. I make the sauce with 1/4 avocado, 1 tomato, green onions, garlic, lemon juice & lime juice (1/2 of each), 2 olives & some capers (not raw), parsley. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor and pour over the "pasta".

If you still want to eat your salad, you can make a really good dressing, which will make your salad taste kind of sweet:

In a food processor, mix the following ingredients:

-8 cherry tomatoes

-1 mango

-1/4 avocado

-the juice & pulp of 1 orange

-green onions

You can find other recipes on this forum that are very good.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I like fruit for lunch and breakfast as well. Probably fruit for dinner, too. And then at the end of the night, for my third dinner or whatever, a huge salad. Right now I'm munching on spinach, red bell pepper, and tomatoes (about 16 c. of spinach).

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I struggle with this too. Some ideas are: raw chili, raw wraps in collard leaves (wrap like a burrito), kelp or zucchini noodles with many sauces. It doesn't have to be complicated!

• veghealthcoachveghealthcoach Raw Newbie

It's about that time for you to check out a used bookstore or library for some raw (un)cookbooks!

Do you eat Essene bread?

If not, you can just wrap this with the lettuce.

MLT (mushroom, lettuce, and tomato sandwich

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 tablespoon water

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 cup sliced portobella mushrooms

Essene Bread

Romaine lettuce

sliced tomato

Combine the olive oil, shoyu, garlic, thyme, water, and cumin in a bowl. Add the portobella slices and allow to marinate 10 minutes.

Assemble the mushroom slices on pieces of seed bread and top with avocado. lettuce, and sliced tomato

Make 24 hours in Advance: Marinated white onion rings (if you like this, prepare ahead and store in a glass jar in the fridge)

1 or more white onions

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup honey or sweetener of your choice

1 tablespoon shoyu

Peel the onions and slice them thinly. Combine the vinegar, sweetener, and shoyu in a glass or ceramic bowl and add the sliced onion. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours for onions to absorb maximum flavor.

As long as this stays in the liquid, it will keep it preserved (slightly pickled). You can save the liquid and continue adding sliced onions to it.

Recipes from: The Raw Food Primer

• AVL, your pepper boats sound delicious! What a good idea

• MaryBee, I congratulate you on transitioning to raw vegan at such a young age! You have a bright future ahead of you!

I eat salad almost every lunch and dinner, but I don't get tired of it. The key is to change what you put in your salad (different veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, sprouted beans, etc.) and use a different salad dressing. I collect salad dressing recipes and always look forward to trying something different. Just changing dressings makes a big difference. You can be really creative.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think the key is to not use salad dressings or make a dressing with whole foods only (like celery and raspberry), cut out the salt and oil, or else you'll be searching for your next salty/fatty fix.

• Thanks so much everyone! This is really helpful!

• I'm a (unschooled) high schooler, too! Also the only raw vegan in the house.

If you have a food processor, try making cauliflower "rice" dishes. Sun dried tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, coconut, avocado, ginger, anything you want. It really does taste like rice or quinoa (just make sure that if you add liquid, you don't over-process it, or else you'll end up with a creamed cauliflower).

Or make a salad of grated cabbage/apple/carrot, and toss it with raisins, avocado, mushrooms, or sprouts.

For a bit of variety in your salads, try tossing bunches of fresh herbs in with the lettuce.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I make soups and carry them in a thermal container, really easy. You can take raw crackers or a piece of dried bread and voila, a meal.

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Have you made pasta (raw alfredo sauce and zucchini noodles)? They pack pretty well and are delish.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Rawtarian - Tips and recipes for raw fooders

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

I have tried a lot of the veggie dip/pate recipes here and love them for a change of pace. You can have it with cut-up veggies or raw crackers or in a lettuce wrap. Sometimes I will cut up a bunch of veggies for my lunch with some dip, then leave a few lying around for when I have munchies later in the day. So much easier when you're just looking for something to grab and shove in your mouth. lol

• I live off of zucchini pasta. If you don't have a spiralizer (though you can get them for like twenty bucks I believe) you can always just use a good vegetable peeler to make thin strands of zucchini...toss a little sea salt on to let them soften up and throw anything you want on for topping. It makes it a lot less "salad-like"--

I like to top mine with fresh salsa a lot of times. Fresh salsa is so so easy to make too!

Just take 3 Roma Tomatoes, quartered

1/4 of an onion (I use a sweet onion), quartered

1 jalapeno pepper, quartered

1-2 green onions

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup of fresh cilantro

1 tbsp vinegar or fresh lemon juice (it's all a matter of preference)

1/2 tsp. sea salt

Put everything in a food processor or blender and pulse for 1-2 seconds at a time until desired consistency.

I put that on zucchini frequently... accompanied by other veggies, and I also like to grind up sunflower seeds until powdery to throw on too.

When you start getting sick of salads, focus more on eating fruit. Man, when I first went raw and was living off of salads I got so sick of veggies I could barely even look at them for a bit.

If you take an avocado and mash it up with a bit of vinegar, sea salt, garlic, and maybe some cayenne, you can use that as a dip for veggies to make them a bit more desirable.

By the way, I give you and other younger people major kudos for doing Raw... I would have never had the focus/ambition to do Raw in high school. It was hard enough doing the vegetarian thing before I got out of high school and got a job and what not. Major major kudos...shows a lot of willpower!

• also, if you're able to buy your own foods, I highly suggest buying some Larabars (or some dates and raw nuts to make your own) because they work fabulously for cravings and filling the tummy.

also snacking on raisins and what not, is good too.

• Guacamole with chopped veggies

1 avocado

1/4 minced onion

1/2 lime (just the juice)

chopped cilantro

diced tomato

smoosh the avocado & add the other ingredients (I add the tomatoes last)

Chop up some veggies

EAT

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Loads of good advice here and I would also recommend alternating salads with fruit as you don't want to end up getting bored/sick of the same thing. About 6 months ago, I was obsessed with salad but then recently went through a phase where I just didn't fancy it. No point in forcing something you're not into. I started eating fruit for lunch and came up with a combination I loved. I'd chop up apples, sharon fruit and bananas, sprinkle with crushed nuts, seeds and buckwheaties then add loads of cinnamon. It's so tasty! (I sometimes also added soya yoghurt too cos I'm not 100%)

Seed/veg based pates are also a great thing to make as you can do a big batch which lasts all week. You can spread on crackers/bread/veggies.

Good luck to you!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i recommend making all of the soups on this website!!!! i have tried about 10 of them and i like every single one. i've been making soups a lot, but still include salads so i'm getting enough greens.