Fitness and a raw diet

Hey everyone, I have just started getting into more of a raw based diet. I was hoping it would improve my overall health. Its not that I have any health concerns, other than getting older. I have been on a vegan and macrobiotic diet in the past, but found that my strength and endurance suffered. I have now been adding raw foods and juices to my diet and am just starting to make some raw food recipes. If there are other fitness enthusiasts out there, I would love to hear from your experiences with a raw food diet.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm majoring in health and physical activity at school, so i'm always doing fitness classes. i've noticed a lot of improvement with my stamina and strength. i used to be so weak but i started powerlifting and i'm surprisingly pretty good at it. i feel best when i eat before and after i work out. usually a smoothie or some fruit. i also get a lot of sleep (good days are 10 hours). the sleep issue is so important because i used to only get about 5-6 hours a night and always needed a nap after school. the more energy you use, the more sleep you need.

• hi steve

i participate in crossfit also. i love it.

do you partake in a paleo type style of eating or are you vegan?

many years ago i was macro too.

i've found that keeping starch and grains out of my diet has really contributed to

a huge increase in energy and has helped my body

in many ways .

looking forward to hearing more about your journey

sincerely,

rona

• I would say I have more energy now eating more raw types of foods. I used to think that I was in my best shape when I was in my early 20's but now my endurance has skyrocketed it's insane. There are a few all vegan athletes out there check out http://www.brendanbrazier.com/index.html he has some articles posted on his site he's been a vegan since 15 is a professional ironman competitor. He doesn't say that's he's all raw but he doesn't advocate eating alot of raw foods, like sprouted grain breads and green smoothies.

• Yes, you are right, sleep is important. I have read as much as 9 1/2 hours in "50 Secrets of the Worlds Longest Living People" is needed. I'm afraid I have to work more on that myself. I usually do not eat anything right before a workout other than fruit(something that digests quickly). If you have ever done Crossfit or fought, then you would know why. Although I do take a hemp protein shake with almond milk, ground flax or chia seed, and fruit(bananas, berries, or avacado) within a hour after. I usually eat again after another hour. I find this is working best for me. Other that that, I eat small meals thoughout the day(usually 5 or 6). I have also limited my animal protein to organic eggs, wild caught salmon, and sardines from Spain. But I only eat these ocassionally. How about you? What are you doing for protein? I see you are not 100% raw, but are you vegan?

• Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Although I have an idea what it takes to do Ironman, I do not think this type of training or competition is best for the body. Any intense repetitive exercise thends to have a catabolic effect on the muscles. But I do see your point. Anyone that can do those things have to be in insane condition.

• Hey Doc,

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to see another Crossfitter here. I am not on the Paleo diet, but a lot of the guys where I train talk about it. I hear there is a lot of meat in it. I guess I have to look more into that diet. I have limited my animal protein to certain kinds of fish and organic eggs and only ocassionally. I am suprised to see you shun grains. Eating oatmeal is even reccomended on the Gerson Therapy diet. Although I stay away from the overly processed grains, I do eat oatmeal, amarath, quinoa, and brown rice. How long have you been doing Crossfit? Are you training at a Crossfit facility?

Regards,

Steve

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'd def recommend reading Brendan Brazier's Thrive book. It's great and he gives loads of advice for people who are into fitness/working out.