Positive thinking...

coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I’m wondering if anyone has any info, whether it be websites or books, on the ideas of positive thinking and “creating your own reality”. I’m not really sure what the official term for this way of thinking is but I’ve read through some posts on here that have mentioned this way of thinking… You know the whole idea where within the universe postives are attracted to positives, so therefore if you think postively, positve things will be attracted to you… and so on.

Anyhow, I’m quite curious about this stuff, and I guess I’m just looking for some new ideas and reading material to go venture off into. I could definitely use the lift right now. I’m not really sure what’s going on with me, but I’ve been extremely unhappy lately. Me and my husband are going through some tough times (nothing marriage related) and I just can’t seem to shake this bit of depression I’ve been experiencing. This is the first time I’ve ever felt like this since being raw. I’ve been trying so hard to stay positive but my emotions are just taking over. I’m hoping that if I can find some reading material on this subject I can strengthen up my mind a bit and tell my emotions to go screw themselves! ;-)

Thanks guys!

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

The Secret, of course….oh, and a fun one that I really like is The Illusionist. It is a “fiction” book, but the principles are about creating your own reality. I read it at least once a year and always walk away with something useful and new.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

a good starting point would be “creative visualization” by shatki gawain. there are so many books on this subject, but it is a very simple idea. this book is great because it doesn’t really get into the religious aspect, and therefore is a great book for anyone who wants to be more in control of their lives. it has simple meditation/ visualizations. it is very easy to manifest your own reality! one piece of advice : “be careful what you wish for!” sometimes things can manifest so rapidly, that you might question whether you were ready for it. and congradulations on getting to this point that you are asking important questions about the nature of reality itself, and the ability to manipulate it! good luck!

• Yes get the movie “The Secret” or the book. It’s very, very helpful. Google it if you’ve never heard of it.

I think what you’re referring to is typically called “The Law of Attraction”. Here’s a website that explains more: http://law-of-attraction-info.com/

I think positive affirmations are also important. Saying them outloud in front of a mirror is very helpful. Like repeating “I am happy”, etc. while looking into your own eyes in the mirror. Here’s a link that explains more: http://www.self-help-and-self-development.com/a…

I just started creating a book full of dreams, goals, desires, wants and positive affirmations to help me organize my thoughts and to put more energy into the things I want in life. I strongly believe that when we write these things down and talk about them the more they become reality. By doing that we put the energy out there and our subconscious begins to believe these things. Visulization is a very strong component in it all, “the Secret” (book and DVD) explains this very well. Take some time every day and sort of meditate by visulizing yourself doing/getting living the things that you want in your life, whatever it may be, and eventually it will probably happen but you have to stick with it for it to work. My current example is I want a certain health educator job that I interviewed for, so at night before I go to sleep I visulize myself actually working there, doing the job, and being happy doing it. All of the things we have in our lives, we have because we have drawn them there.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Thank you guys for the recommendations. I’ve recall hearing about the secret before. I can’t wait to check it out. Yeah, I really need it now cause things just took another turn for the worse today. I am trying my very hardest to think positively (gosh is it hard right now!)... so go ahead, send some postive vibes my way! I need all the help I can get right now!

• Yes! Stylistchick, Shakti Gawain’s books have really changed my life! Especially Living in the light!!!

• I really love this topic and all of the ideas associated with it. I have always been a very visual person and I think Greenpolkadot’s reccomendations to write as much as you can about what you love, what you expect of your life is so helpful. “Books of dreams” is a good way of putting it. This is the first step in helping me bring my inner dreams and hopes into reality, just by having them physically in front of us. The speakers who created the Secret talk about this idea in another way, by creating a dream board.

This is where you basically build a bulletin board/collage of what we love and what we want in our lives (ranging from material goods to emotional stability). From what I saw, it seems that the collage idea is a lot like what I remember creating as a child in school. Clipping out things that bring positive thoughts and happiness to my mind and putting them into one picture. I love the idea and think it’s a good way to just create something positive to see each day. It acts as a reminder, a way of visual meditation to help us see what brings joy to our minds. Seeing these things in this way will hopefully help plant their “seeds” of positivity in your mind to grow as you find ways of moving towards them.

I’d recommend going to http://www.google.com, typing in The Secret Oprah, and then after the search results show up, click the VIDEO link at the top of the page. This will take you to google video’s page featuring lots of clips from the Secret show Oprah hosted recently. I haven’t read the book, but I did see the beginning of the movie and while it was great, I found the direct discussion on Oprah’s panel with the speakers more personal and helpful in a lot of ways.

It’s interesting because I think the raw diet was attractive to me as one of the first steps to finding yourself and taking the best type of control of your own life through decision making, and then following. Sort of like what The Secret talks about “Thoughts, feelings, action”. Most important, action:)

Also love the idea that talking about your dreams, and developing them externally this way (and writing, building image boards, art…) are some of the best ways to get this positivity and focus flowing in yourself. That’s why I love communities like this, because it’s about helping and discovering through everyone’s experiences, how to be and feel better.

Hope this helps, I think the videos would be a great step. It was a great discovery for me a while back. :)

*Spiritedmama, do you know who the author is of the Illusionist book you mentioned? There seem to be a few books under that titled when I search. Thanks:)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I like Louise Hay for health and body positive thinking.

Sondra Ray for all positive thinking but in particular weight loss and body image and youthing – her book The Only Diet There Is, helped a friend of mine lose a whole load of weight with just positive affirmations.

Leonard Orr is the Grandaddy of positive thinking! anything he writes has got a whole load of good stuff in it!

Wayne Dwyer is another name that comes to mind, he has got some good audio CD’s and books out that are pretty solid on healthy thinking.

Catherine Ponder has written a whole series of books on positive thinking for every area of your life. They are excellent. I have got her book – The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity.

Jinjee of www.thegardendiet.com has just started a Manifestation Forum. You join up for free and post what it is you want/see yourself as etc on the message board, and all the members read each other’s visions and by sharing in them help them to manifest. Join us on here: http://lawofattraction.meetup.com/383/boards/

You can watch The Secret for free on Google videos, here’s the link: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8260…

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hi Coconutty – I’ll try to send some positive vibes your way but honestly, I am in the same sort of situation that you are in right now so I feel your pain. My world seems to be crumbling apart around me right now too and all at once – relationship, job, money. It is very overwhelming.

It is so hard to stay positive for me in general (even when my life is pretty much in check) because I grew up around negative thinking people and worriers. It almost seems to be “learned” behavior – to think negatively. And stress makes it worse.

I have heard of Creative Visualization before. Someone gave me a book on it once but I don’t have it anymore. I have heard of the Secret lately too. Aren’t they pretty much the same concept? I do want to get around to watching the Secret.

When you guys say “dreams” are you meaning the dreams you have for yourself in your life or those that you dream at night when you are asleep? I am assuming the first because my night dreams are quite wacky and I wouldn’t want to mainfest those at all! :)

Has anyone had this answer questions for them that they were indecisive of or not sure of? When you are faced with the indecision between two decisions in your life, does the Secret way of thinking help out with that at all? Can you “manifest out” for an answer to your problem?

• hi queenfluff, When I refer to dreams I mean in the sense of what I dream for my future and my life, not the dreams I have when I’m a sleep, sometimes those are kinda scary hehe.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I dreamed of a fruit that was a cross between a pineapple and a strawberry last night. It looked like a squishy juicy red pineapple. I will put it on my “vision board”!!

• Try Barefoot Doctor ‘Manifesto’ – an AMAZING and life-changing book about manifesting your reality in accordance with Taoist principles. I promise you, this book will change your life (it did mine, and lots ofpeople I know). He also does an amazing book called Liberation, about freeing yourself from challenges life poses (e.g. he has a section on liberation from anxiety, from weight issues, from being stuck in a porr relationship, from jealousy, from money worries etc) and its an excellent intro to the area.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Thanks queera -

That Liberation book sounds really interesting. Money worries is one of my downfalls. I’ll look for the book.

• My brother has TONs of +ve thinking books, more than 500 books!!! I will call him and get back to you.(He is in India)

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

And Queen, I’m in the same boat as you! Life has always been tough for me. I was raised in a completely negative environment, so that is pretty much all I have known. Finally after going raw, I’ve been able to feel happy inside, but when the stress hits, I tend to resort back to the negative thinking.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

As well as books, healing therapies like Reiki, Rebirthing, Massage, Reflexology, Chiropracty etc really helped me to clear away the blocks in my energy which caused negativity in my mind. A good therapist and good healing therapies were an absoute Godsend to me when I transformed out of the cocoon I holed myself up in for years into the butterfly I really wanted to become.

Personally I don’t believe that it is possible to conquor negative thinking by only using the mind. Energy, Spiritual and physical healing cleared more negativity than my whole library of books and years of working on my mind did.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i am reading a book that henri miller passed on to my mom called THE LIFE EVERLASTING (by marie correli). it’s a little fluffy in the way that dickens can be sometimes, but the “teachings” in it are absolutely life changing for me.

before that i read MANY LIVES, MANY MASTERS and i must say they were nice complements.

i found the secret to be rather commercial in format. i think it bypassed the point of UNDERSTANDING the law of attraction straight to applying it.

thanks for the tips. this is an area i am starting to explore, much to my delight. i’m going to check out the creative visualization one for sure! and the manifesto!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Coconutty,

Try checking out one of the books by Byron Katie. I just finished ‘One thousand names for Joy” Her perspective and recommendations are practically/deceptively simple but ultimately paradigm shifting.

In my humble opinion she does a terrific job of explaining esoteric concepts of reality with a minimum of fuss. I too have read and enjoyed Shakti Gawain’s books as well as buddhist books, A Course in Miracles etc… and Byron Katie takes all of it and makes it simple.