2 apples (peeled, sliced thinly)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup pecans
½ cup almonds
½ cup coconut (shredded, dried)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cardamon
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup dates (soaked, pitted)
¼ cup almond milk (or use water and an extra tablespoon of almond butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Toss apple slices and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Process the pecans, almonds, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, and salt in a food processor until coarsely ground. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Place dates, almond milk, coconut oil, almond butter, and vanilla in a food processor and blend to a paste.
4. Add to nut mixture and stir until well incorporated.
5. Spread the mixture out evenly on a teflex sheet into a square about 1/4 inch thick.
6 .Starting on one edge of the square, press the apple slices into the mixture, overlapping each slice over the previous one. I usually get 4 rows of apples.
7. Dehydrate at 115 F for 6 hours, then do a “flippy-flippy” or whatever method you use to get the bars off the teflex sheet and onto a mesh screen while staying apple side up.
8. Dehydrate for another 6-8 hours or until the desired texture is reached. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Crisyn's ThoughtsBy Crisyn
This recipe is a variation on my Fig & Date Squares, combined with my love for Living Cuisine’s Caramel Coconut Cookies. I hope you like them.
In the picture, the Caramel Apple Bars are the ones on the bottom right.
(A “flippy-flippy” is what I call it when I place Tray B upside down on top of Tray A, and then flip them over, so the food from Tray A is then upside down on Tray B. Then remove the teflex sheet from Tray A, and place Tray A back upside down with the mesh screen touching the food on Tray B, then flip them back over, and voila! The food is back on Tray A--right side up--but minus the teflex sheet.)
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Change in eye colourhappyknapps - 41 min 2 sec ago
Enzymes killed in the stomach?SunSpirit - 1 hour 53 min ago
Coconut Sweetener...Any Thoughts?Pancake Organics - 15 hours 3 min ago
Help!! Recurring Herpes Outbreakswrionmaw - 1 day 21 min ago
Armpits still stink months after detox?Rin - 1 day 9 hours ago