2/3 cup almonds, soaked for 4-8 hours
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in 2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) cacao butter, melted
6 tablespoons carob powder
1 tablespoon orange peel
1/2 tablespoon lime peel
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice (for soaking raisins – as above)
6 cardamom pods
1. Prepare the cacao butter by melting it gently in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water.
2. Chop the almonds into small pieces.
3. Split the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Crush them into a fine powder with the mortar and pestle.
4. Put the chopped almonds, cardamom powder, soaked raisins (and any residual lemon juice), orange peel, lime peel and carob into a bowl. Mix well until everything is carob-coated.
5. Pour the melted cacao butter and orange juice over the dry ingredients and mix really well so everything is coated with cacao butter and all the carob is worked in.
6. Divide mixture between 12 small muffin cases or paper fairy cake cases.
7. Optional – lick the bowl!
8. Refrigerate pies for at least 4 hours before you enjoy.
These are a heavenly treat – a raw vegan version of mince pies that’s chocolaty too. Great for Christmas or any time of year!
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
© 2009-2016 The Rawtarian.
This information is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.
I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with like-minded, qualified health care professional(s). I wish you success on your raw journey!