Rating5/5 (from 1 ratings)5
Yield2 dozen balls
3 ounces cacao butter (melted)
1 1/2 cups almond flour (dehydrated almond pulp/meal left over from milk)
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons coconut butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or nut of your choice)
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1. Since cacao butter is hard to measure in volume, I used a kitchen scale to be precise. Shave or grate the cacao butter and melt it in a small bowl set in a larger bowl of very hot water, or in a bowl in the dehydrator. Honestly, the most time-consuming step is grating the cacao butter and melting it. Note that ingredients like cacao butter and coconut oil will go soft and liquid in warm weather, so keep these in the refrigerator and don't let them sit outside for too long.
2. In a large bowl, blend almond flour, flax seed meal, and salt.
3. Add coconut butter and coconut oil and use a fork to mix well. Add agave and vanilla.
4. When it is well combined, fold in chopped nuts and cacao nibs.
5. Form into balls (Smaller than a golf ball? Bigger than a marble? Maybe the size of a small walnut? A kitty toy?).
6. Refrigerate until hardened and store in fridge. This recipe is quick to mix up but needs to set in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
You need not add as much agave. If you cut down on it, you may need to add a few teaspoons of water to form the balls.
Nuts are completely optional, but the walnuts do add to the authenticity. Macadamias would probably be delicious too.
Although I selected "none" for equipment needed, it's true that a dehydrator is helpful for making almond flour and melting the cacao butter. However, I think almond meal would eventually dry out on its own or in an oven on a low setting.
Suasoria's ThoughtsBy Suasoria
I thought the flavor was pretty authentic. It's a bit like cookie dough made with whole wheat flour.
This is a high-fat recipe, and I don't know if there are acceptable substitutes for some of these ingredients.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
How to make a morning smoothie when you have no timeanniestk - 16 hours 2 min ago
What is the one kitchen tool you could not live without?anniestk - 16 hours 16 min ago
What is your favorite salad recipe?anniestk - 16 hours 19 min ago
Do guavas help lose weight and treat diarrhea?anniestk - 1 day 23 min ago
Diet and Exercising for Weight Loss!!!anniestk - 1 day 54 min ago