Rating5/5 (from 2 ratings)5
8 ounces almonds (soaked for 8 hours)
4 Medjool dates
1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
6 apples (the number you need depends on their size and how you decorate the cake)
Juice of half a small lemon
Handful of blackberries (not essential, but if they’re in season a wonderful addition)
1. Drain and rinse the almonds and process until very finely chopped. Add the dates and the cinnamon to the almonds and process until dates are chopped, and the mixture starts to ball together (you may need to stop the processor several times and scrape down the mixture from the sides).
2. Empty the mixture into the flan tin and press the base down into the corners and an inch up the sides of the tin using your fingers and the palm of your hand.
3. If you have a dehydrator and wish to make the base crispy, you can choose to dehydrate. I don’t and it is still a fab pie!
4. Juice 2 apples. Salvage the pulp and put into a small mixing bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the apple juice back into the pulp and mix. You are looking for a consistency that will keep its shape when you cut into the flan, so it shouldn’t be runny. When you are happy, put this to one side for now.
5. Core 2 more apples and process until finely chopped. Add the processed apples to the pulp mixture. Squeeze in the juice of half a small lemon and mix well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and level out with the back of a spoon.
7. Wash your blackberries and place them in a decorative fashion around the outside rim of the pie.
8. Core, quarter, and slice very finely the remaining apple. Arrange the slices in a circular fan style around the center of the pie.
9. Dust the pie with a little cinnamon through a fine mesh sieve.
Pathlesstrodden's ThoughtsBy pathlesstrodden
I'm in the UK for the summer, and discovery are one of the first apple varieties to come into season. They are so much fun because their flesh is tinged pink!
My boyfriend's tree is providing us with loads of them, so I came up with this.
It's simple, just sweetened with dates and really tasty.
Of course, you could use any type of apple, but the tarter the better!
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
To buy gadgets or not to buy gadgets?ClaireT - 1 day 9 hours ago
2 weeks in and I'm documenting it all via video!ClaireT - 1 day 9 hours ago
Happy to be here!ClaireT - 1 day 9 hours ago
Rawtarian appsClaireT - 4 days 11 hours ago
Glowing skin...what is your winning formula?michele4131 - 5 days 20 hours ago