Rating5/5 (from 1 ratings)5
1 slice fresh ginger (about a 1 inch cube)
¼ teaspoon yeast (any active kind will do)
¼ cup raw honey
1. In your Vitamix or blender, add all the ingredients except for the yeast. You may want to add some water to help it blend more smoothly.
2. Blend it on high until you no longer see any chunks of ginger floating around. Taste the mixture as this will be very similar to how the ginger ale will taste when it is finished. Add more of whatever you might need.
3. Using a funnel, add the yeast to the bottle. Then pour in your mixture from the blender.
4. Fill the rest of the way with filtered water up to the neck of the bottle. This will leave you with about one inch of empty space.
5. Screw on the cap and shake it up. Notice that if you squeeze the bottle now with your fingers, you can make a dent very easily. When fermentation is complete, the bottle will be firm and you will not be able to do this.
6. Place out of the sun in a spot that is not subject to crazy temperature changes. You want this to sit at room temperature.
7. Check your bottle by squeezing it after 24 hours. If you can still make a dent in the bottle with your hand, let it sit longer. If it is ready, taste it to be sure it’s fizzy enough for you.
8. If it is good, place it in the fridge to stop the fermentation process. You’re all done!
Mmtol's ThoughtsBy mmtol
After going raw, I found that I really missed ginger ale.
Most commercial ginger ales are made by boiling ginger to make an extract and adding it to soda water.
The “original way” was through fermentation, which is okay by me since no heat is applied. It is up to you if you think this is truly raw.
It is my understanding that enzymes remain intact but that some bacteria will be killed off through the process. Give me your feedback!
Enjoy your drinks! Spice it up by adding other ingredients. Good luck!
If you don’t have access to raw honey, you can use a different sugar source.
The yeast needs at least 2 tablespoons of a sugary item to ferment. Synthetics will not work (Nutrasweet or something). Cane sugar is great. I’m not sure if stevia will work. Anyone know?
Brewer’s yeast will not work. This is not active yeast!
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Buy quality passport, citizenship, Id cards, driver’s license, diplomas, degrees..worldprinters - 2 hours 9 min ago
Solution For Major Hair Losspauliasmith6745 - 5 hours 2 min ago
A strong but rocky start.GillyBean - 8 hours 16 min ago
Coming back to raw after six years away.ClaireT - 13 hours 56 min ago
Raw green beansGillyBean - 1 day 6 hours ago