Yield9 small "cookies"
1 cup flax seed (milled)
1 cup pecans (milled)
3 teaspoons ginger (powdered)
2 tablespoons honey
1/8 cup water
1 teaspoon dark raw molasses (optional)
1. Mill the flax seed and pecans together into a fine flour (This is best done in the Vitamix dry jug, or by using a coffee mill; a food processor won’t get it fine enough on its own).
2. Pour the “flour,” saving just a little back for step 3, into a food processor.
3. Add the remaining ingredients. Process until a dark sticky ball is created.
4. Remove the ball from the processor and lay it out on a flat surface ready for rolling out. This is where you may need to use the flour you held back from step 2 as it might stick to the surface or rolling pin!
5. So lightly coat the board you are rolling on or the mixture itself in a fine dusting of flour and then roll out into a flat dough.
6. Using gingerbread men-shaped cookie cutters, cut out your men and either leave plain or decorate, according to your preference.
7. Once finished, you can either eat as a “fresh” version which will be juicy and slightly chewy, or you can move to step 8 where you’ll need a dehydrator
8. Lay your men out on your dehydrator tray. No protective sheeting is required as the mixture isn’t runny.
9. Depending on how crunchy you want your men, dehydrate anything from a few hours to 24 hours. The full 24 hours at 100 Fahrenheit will give you crunchy men, so long as they are no more than 5 millimeters thick when they go in to dry.
Tip? Keep hands moist for final forming and do not forget the “reserved” flour “dust” like me.
Drhall's ThoughtsBy drhall
Do not wait until the holidays to make this treat!
How good is this? Raw is even great! In the hotbox right now!
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.