1 recipe of chocolate ganache
2½ cups real cream cheese
1½ cups dehydrated coconut (soaked in water, for at least 10 hours)
1 cup agave nectar (or more, to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 limes (save all pulp and zest; separate out zest of one lime for crust)
1 cup coconut oil (at liquid temperature)
1 recipe of graham cracker crust (use the zest of the one lime in this recipe)
1. Prepare the real cream cheese, following the recipe on my recipe page.
2. Blend the coconut until it is very smooth. This took me about 8 minutes with my high speed blender. You don’t want the coconut swimming in liquid, but there should be ‘milk’ in the stuff after it’s soaked.
3. Combine the coconut and real cream cheese and blend very well. Culture for at least another 24 hours. You can cheat and hurry this up by culturing the whole thing at once. Simply make the coconut the day before you start the real cream cheese.
4. Make the graham cracker crust and press it up the sides of an 8 inch springform pan. A smaller pan gives a higher cheesecake, and a larger pan a thinner one. You choose. I think 8 inches is dandy. Place it in the fridge while you make the ganache.
5. Make the ganache, using the recipe on my recipe page. Take one cup of ganache and swirl it around, coating the bottom and sides of the crust (I come right up over the edge). Place in the fridge to harden. Reserve the remaining 2 cups of ganache for piping. (Alas, you’ll probably have to melt and then harden it again to get the proper temperature.)
6. Make the filling by blending the coconut/cream cheese mixture yet again and adding the agave, vanilla, sea salt, lime pulp, and the the zest from the first lime. Taste and adjust sweetener, if desired.
7. Slowly add the coconut oil in a thin stream. You should notice the mixture thickens somewhat and becomes lighter.
8. Put the filling in the crust and refrigerate or freeze until firm (about 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on your particular fridge).
9. Remelt and semi-harden the ganache and place in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe large globs of ganache in a fancy pattern around the cheesecake. Place back in the fridge.
Poemomm's ThoughtsBy poemomm
About five years ago, my hubby and I tasted the most bizarre (and fantastic) cheesecake I’d ever had, and I’ve had a lot, a key-lime-oreo cheesecake.
I was seriously expecting the thing to be foul, but instead I found the tart key-lime filling set off the super sweet chocolate so well that I never forgot it. I vowed one day to duplicate that dessert, but unfortunately (or fortunately) we discovered that we were gluten-intolerant, and dreams of Oreo anything faded into a distant memory.
This cheesecake takes its inspiration from that long-ago, fantastic dessert. A creamy key-lime filling is enhanced by chocolate ganache and foiled by a near-perfect ‘graham cracker crust’—my non-raw hubby loved the dessert and didn’t question whether it was ‘real’ or cooked. In fact, he ate his portion and part of mine. High praise from a cooked foodie.
There are several secrets to making an authentic cheesecake. Cultured real cream cheese makes the flavor more authentic than any raw cheesecake I’ve had before. Reconstituted, dehydrated coconut (also cultured) adds the textural dimension that keeps the cheesecake from being too smooth.
You’ll need to think about this dessert several days in advance, since you need at least 48 hours for the total culturing of the filling.
A few additional notes: I was raised in Florida where the concept of a green key-lime was vilified violently. Real key lime anything is not green. But if you’re desperate, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of green powder (like green magma). Tread very carefully here, or you’ll ruin the taste. In my opinion, you should leave it well enough alone. Floridians will approve highly.
You’ll want to cut this into small slices--it’s very rich.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Indian Mini Vegetable Uthappamabjain58 - 3 hours 9 min ago
Sensitive teeth since bring rawClaireT - 2 days 11 hours ago
Dreadlocksstreem26 - 2 days 19 hours ago
Diet and Exercising for Weight Loss!!!streem26 - 2 days 19 hours ago
Pueraria mirifica - Fountain of Youthlofms - 3 days 21 hours ago