Rating4.2/5 (from 5 ratings)4.2
½ cup white whole sesame seeds
½ cup golden flax seeds
1 dash vanilla powder (optional)
½ cup black whole sesame seeds
½ cup brown flax seeds
2 tablespoons ground carob or cacao (optional)
1 cup (or more) pitted dates (juicy ones)
2 pinches of sea salt (optional)
At minimum, you need some kind of a seed grinder. I like manual primitive tools. I swear they make the food taste better. But if you must, you can use your coffee grinder or blender to grind. We are grinding two separate batches. We’ll start with the brighter color; this way, we don’t need to wash in the middle because the darker batch takes over.
1. Grind, as fine as you can, the white sesame seeds with the golden flax. Add the optional pinch of salt and vanilla.
2. By hand (if your dates are juicy enough), or in manual mincer or food processor, mush and knead enough dates to make it all stick together into a smooth consistency. (For myself, I use minimum amount of dates, but I go large on the dates for pop drinking guests so they’ll be more than polite.)
3. Put the first ball aside. Process the next batch of black sesame seeds, brown flax seed, optional salt, and optional carob/cacao into a ball.
5. Flatten the balls a little and then roll them together into a loaf. Then cut. But feel free to make your favorite shapes. Just make sure it doesn’t look like turds!
6. Put in the freezer for at least half an hour to make them nice and firm.
7. Keep refrigerated and eat as soon as you can. With every hour that passes, the fatty acids in the seeds oxidize releasing free radicals, like myself.
Ofek's ThoughtsBy ofek
Here’s real raw halva, and it is as authentic as it gets. I am in Palestine, where halva is sold in every open market by the kilo.
Halva is a sweet sesame confection. This raw version is pretty, delicious, and heavy but dense enough to make you stop after a few bites. A great way to get more flax into my daughter’s diet.
And yes, i am well aware that the mulberries I picked this morning look (and taste) far more orgasmic--and that is perfectly fine. To compete with nature is suicide.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
jackfruitClaireT - 1 day 1 hour ago
Crazy health devices?pjotrl - 4 days 4 hours ago
4th day as a Vegan:)ClaireT - 5 days 3 hours ago
My coconut has been refrigerated for 2 days from clear to purple?ClaireT - 5 days 3 hours ago
Please boycott bee pollen!matthewr - 5 days 9 hours ago