Rating3/5 (from 1 ratings)3
YieldServes 4-6 adventurous people
2 cups mung beans (sprouted for 8-36 hours)
2 cups carrots (chopped)
½ red pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 can of mandarin oranges or 6 ounces of oranges
1 shot of bourbon or flavoring (or a date)
1 tablespoon horseradish
2 shots Tabasco
¼ cup black or white sesame seeds
½ cup flax meal
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1. Grow 2 cups (after growing) of mung beans sprouted just a day or two so that most of the green skins will float off. This made a great white “meat.”
2. Add 2 cups of chopped carrots to the blender or Cuisinart and chopp fine.
3. Add half a cup of onions (vidalia if possible), 4 tablespoons of olive oil, one can of mandarin oranges, 1 tablespoon bourbon flavoring or bourbon, half a red pepper, 1 tablespoon horseradish, 1 tablespoon honey mustard, a couple shots of Tabasco, and 2 tablespoons orange marmalade, garlic powder, basil, black or white pepper, and add mung beans of course.
4. Then add half a cup of flax meal (grind flax seeds before carrots if your machine will do it and they’re not already ground).
5. Grease Teflex sheets or parchment paper and put large balls down and flatten the top with a spoon. Dehydrate for 18-24 hours.
6. Check half way through and flip. You may need to press them together a little to keep them firm.
7. Serve with honey mustard dressing, celery or BBQ sauce. Pineapple sauce with red pepper- or you could switch the mandarins for 1\4 of a pineapple in the recipe.
Writeeternity's ThoughtsBy writeeternity
I made this for the 4th of July. It tastes better than the real thing to me, but I wasn’t at home. I had vegetables, but used conventional condiments, so you may have to fudge this part.
Please post your version if you do!
This is adapted from an Alyssa Cohen recipe that I was told about on the site. I mainly wanted to submit it because I think the picture really makes it appetizing.
Great with the Tahini sauce, BBQ sauce, or Ranch Dressing (see this site for recipe).
You could try this on non raw friends and they’d be surprised!
P.S. When I first found the gone raw website I was drawn to a picture of food that looked beautiful and thought that it really looked good so I hope someone who really hasn’t thought of going this way could look at this picture and see it as fun and do-able! I hope I didn’t offend anyone with all of the condiments.
It would be great as a Chinese dinner or as a finger food the way I made it.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
2 weeks in and I'm documenting it all via video!williamv - 7 hours 35 min ago
To buy gadgets or not to buy gadgets?ClaireT - 8 hours 21 min ago
Glowing skin...what is your winning formula?wildebeest - 16 hours 26 min ago
Happy to be here!ClaireT - 2 days 8 hours ago
Rawtarian appsClaireT - 5 days 9 hours ago