½ pound zucchini or eggplant (cut)
½ pound almonds
1 Medjool date
1 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon dehydrated garlic powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ large red pepper
1. In the bowl of your food processor, grind the zucchini or eggplant, date, and nuts until a paste forms - about 5 minutes.
2. Add the liquid smoke and black pepper and then process briefly.
3. In a coffee grinder or spice mill, grind the mustard, fennel, red pepper, garlic powder, and paprika until a homogeneous powder forms.
4. Add to the mixture, along with the red pepper, and process the entire mixture until nearly smooth – there will be very small flecks of the almonds left. Let sit in the fridge, tightly covered overnight (to allow flavors to meld).
5. Either form into rolls or slices about 1 inch in diameter and either use immediately or dehydrate until the desired level of dryness is reached. For pizza, I shape the pepperoni and place them directly on the pizza, since I’ll be dehydrating it already. For a change, you can roll this into long sticks of ‘jerky’ for a snack food.
This recipe makes something very similar to a Hormel pepperoni (the sliced kind you can buy in the store ) and makes a great pepperoni pizza.
This recipe makes quite a bit (a full pound) of the stuff, so you may want to reduce quantities.
One other thing: Keep in mind that dehydrating it for too long will give you a cracker, instead of a pepperoni. Keep checking the recipe until you get the consistency you like.
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
© 2009-2017 The Rawtarian.
This information is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.
I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with like-minded, qualified health care professional(s). I wish you success on your raw journey!