Yield1 square baking dish full
6 ounces spinach (chopped finely)
2 cups walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cashews
½ red bell pepper (seeded)
1 lemon (juiced)
1 tablespoon water
1. Process walnuts in food processor until it’s a powder. Add dates and salt and process until it’s smooth and sticky.
2. Divide in half, and press one half into the bottom of a square baking dish. Feel free to blot crust with paper towels as walnuts make things kind of greasy but are necessary to convey the kind of taste desired in this dish.
3. Set other half of crust aside for later. Clean out food processor. This may take some time.
4. Process cashews, bell pepper, lemon, and water until rather smooth and cheese-like. Add more salt if desired.
5. Spread as much as you like of the “cheese” into the pan on top of the crust. I used a rubber spatula, and it worked out well. Spread spinach on top of this.
6. Somehow get the last blob of crust to lie evenly on top of everything. This is tricky. I blotted then pressed the crust into a square-ish shape on a piece of parchment paper and then flipped it over on top of the pan.
7. Dehydrate for about 12 hours or so until the crust is a nice, flaky consistency.
Samesofam's ThoughtsBy samesofam
YEAH! I was obsessing over spanakopita, a Greek pie of spinach and feta cheese wrapped in phyllo dough, for weeks and have developed a pretty close substitute.
Thanks to kandace and poemmom for providing base recipes with which to work.
Special note for non-dehydrator owners: Buy an oven thermometer and see how warm it is without actually being on. Mine’s about a steady 100 degrees, so i just leave things to be dehydrated in the turned-off oven.
It usually takes about twice as long as with a regular dehydrator, so I really dehydrated this almost a full day. but I think people with dehydrators can make this recipe faster than I can.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Eating just fruitTammiTrue - 11 hours 28 min ago
Perioral Dermatitis, Help Pleasesophc - 3 days 1 hour ago
2 week old baby and breastmilk shortage!! need advice....ClaireT - 4 days 13 hours ago
Irish Moss dishesClaywoman - 5 days 18 hours ago
Good Anti-inflamatories like pine apples and gingerTammiTrue - 1 week 2 days ago