Rating5/5 (from 2 ratings)5
1 cup spelt or kamut berries
2 medium or 3 small bananas (ripe, frozen overnight)
3 dates (pitted; if your dates are dried, soak them)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flax meal
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Soak, sprout, and dehydrate the spelt berries.
2. Let bananas defrost completely in a bowl or bag (takes 30 minutes to 1 hour).
3. Grind berries in a cleaned out coffee grinder or a powerful high-speed blender. If you use the coffee grinder, do it in 2 batches. Make sure to grind it for a long while so you don't crack your teeth on little pieces of spelt-berry.
4. In a small bowl, mix flour, flax, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
5. Puree bananas, dates, and vanilla in the food processor until smooth and creamy. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and mix well.
6. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes (to make sure and soften up any berry pieces that didn't get ground well).
7. Spread out in 3 'pieces' on a lined dehydrator tray.
8. Dry at 145 F for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 110 F and continue to dry until it reaches desired softness or hardness, flipping once when it's dry enough to flip without falling apart. Mine took about 7 hours. Of course, if you don't do the 145 thing, just dehydrate it at 110 the whole time.
KhaasLadki's ThoughtsBy KhaasLadki
Takes a few days to get the spelt berries ready, but it's so worth it!
This is a nut-free version of banana bread, using sprouted grain berries as the base! Yay!
You could also add some walnuts or pecans and some raisins, if you wanted to! Can't remember what real banana bread tastes like exactly, but this works great for me!
The first time I made this, I didn't use the vanilla, but I think i will next time just to give it some more depth.
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.
Eating just fruitTammiTrue - 16 hours 7 min ago
Perioral Dermatitis, Help Pleasesophc - 3 days 5 hours ago
2 week old baby and breastmilk shortage!! need advice....ClaireT - 4 days 18 hours ago
Irish Moss dishesClaywoman - 5 days 23 hours ago
Good Anti-inflamatories like pine apples and gingerTammiTrue - 1 week 2 days ago