Rating5/5 (from 1 ratings)5
YieldMakes 6 ginormous sammies!
½ cup pumpkin seeds (soaked)
½ cup sunflower seeds (soaked)
½ cup buckwheat groats (soaked)
½ cup dates
½ cup raisins
4 figs (dried)
2 tablespoons carob powder
1 tablespoon hemp seed oil
½ cup coconut (shredded, unsweetened)
½ cup coconut butter
¼ cup sunflower seeds (soaked)
¼ cup fresh juice or water (depends on whether you would like a "flavored" cream)
2 tablespoons soaked buckwheat groats (optional)
1 banana (sliced)
1. Process sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and buckwheat groats in food processor until fairly well blended.
2. Add in the dates, raisins, figs, and carob powder and turn on the machine again (This is really entertaining if you live in an apartment and your neighbors wonder what on earth you’re doing.).
3. As it’s running, pour in the hemp seed oil through the hole on top and process until mixture comes together and you can shape it into balls with your hands (Turn off the processor before trying this though! Fingers are not a great addition to this recipe.).
4. Shape mixture into an equal amount of balls. I usually end up with six, but you can make them smaller if you’d like. Set aside.
SAMMIES CREAM FILLING
5. Mix coconut, coconut butter (could use oil if necessary), sunflower seeds and liquid (Use fresh juice if you’d like flavored cream. Orange is delicious or you can use water if you like coconut flavored things!) in processor until pretty creamy.
6. Stir in buckwheat groats if you like a crunchy textured cream.
7. Flatten the balls you made into little cookies. Slice banana and top half of the cookies with 2 or 3 slices.
8. Spoon cream mixture over the cookies with the bananas. Top with the remaining cookies.
9. Sprinkle more coconut on top if you like things to be pretty!
10. Put them in the freezer and watch them disappear, or you could build a Stonehenge-type masterpiece like I did in my picture
Zer0's ThoughtsBy zer0
Would you like delectable and rich ice cream sammies that are really simple to make and don’t involve tons of nuts?! Of course you do. :)
This recipe was born out of sheer frustration resulting from finding nuts really hard to digest with my tummy and my wallet, and also not liking the overwhelming banana flavor of banana ice cream.
The hemp seed oil in the cookies adds a delicious and unique caramel-like flavor to them once frozen.
Can you say mmm or what!?
Print This Recipe (PDF)
Click the button below to download the printable PDF.