Raw food substitution lists are integral to your raw food kitchen.
Here is a raw food substitution list that you may find comes in handy.
It's preferable to have everything on your raw food diet shopping list before you attempt to make a recipe. But of course sometimes substitutions are necessary because you might not have all the right raw food ingredients on hand.
I almost always substitute cashews for macadamia nuts (and vice versa) depending on what's on sale at my local health food store. For example, I've made raw alfredo sauce and raw mayonnaise with both cashews or macadamia nuts because both nuts are very creamy and oily. If interested in nut substitutions you may also find this podcast about nut substitutions useful.
Please let me know if you have any substitution tips.
Raw food substitution list
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar = 1 tablespoon honey (not vegan) = 1 tablespoon medjool dates (but not all recipes can use dates instead - depends on the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon hemp oil = 1 tablespoon cold pressed olive oil
- 1 vanilla bean = 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa = 1 teaspoon carob powder
- 1 cup walnuts = 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup cashews = 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu = 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid = 1 tablespoon soy sauce (not raw)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds = 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs = 1/2 tablespoon dried herbs
I hope you have found these raw food substitutions useful. Please add comments below and I'll update this list periodically.