Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Marijuana!

Call me a hippie, but I'm someone who believes smoking pot isn't that big of a deal. I smoke weed on occasion with my husband. I've had quite a problem going raw again after falling off the wagon, and weed played a part in that. But despite that marijuana gives you the munchies, isn't raw, and doesn't exactly have a good rep...what's the big deal? What is your view of marijuana? What part can it play, if at all, in a raw, or mostly raw lifestyle?

I appreciate what you have to say, but please keep it nice; as this isn't really an acceptable topic.

Comments

• i honestly don't care if other people use it or not, but it's not for me. i don't like putting things in my body that alter my state of mind. all of my friends say i have to try it at least once, so maybe when i'm really old and don't really care about anything.

• well i just have a random question chatanoog- are you by any chance from chattanooga,tn?

• wildlyprecise--no, Chattanoog is a nickname I've had since a child. I'm not sure how I got it. I'm from Texas.

joannabanana--I understand what you mean, and certainly stick with your instincts about what is best for you!! In no way am I advocating the use of marijuana--just to see everyone's thought on this.

• I know so many people who are addicted to marijuana that I think it CAN be a big deal for people. Happy, fulfilled people tend not to smoke pot routinely.

• I think that logically, it can be safely assumed that inhaling the smoke from ANYTHING which one burns, is probably not the best thing for one's health.

But causing emphysema? Puh-lease. I rather expect that some posts are full of parents' scare tactics to keep their children from trying this horrendous "gateway drug" (giggle, giggle), instead of any real fact-checking of beliefs going on.

It is known that marijuana smoke actually OPENS the bronchial tubes, the opposite of cigarette smoke.

It is suspected, but has never been proven that heavy (read: daily, large quantities) marijuana use may cause cancer. (Study by New Zealand scientists, again, not yet proven.)

Marijuana does not carry the physical addiction that cigarettes have, although psychologically, it can be very addictive.

It also does not carry the tar and nicotine that is present in cigarettes, a big reason for it not being physically addictive or causing cancer.

I used to smoke it, but no longer do. My opinion? ALCOHOL kills people, and should be banned. Bring on the pot bars folks, I'd rather my kids turn into pot heads for a few years than become mean old alcoholics for life.

One more thing...be smart: READ. Here is one source for the information I gave above, there are many more.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

-oola

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Newbie

Not sure how to put in links so i just copied (at the bottom of this post) where to find it but there is already a thread on this.

and apparently marijuana is a very good green for smoothies and salads, very good for you.

it is the smoke that will kill you.

and eating it raw and fresh will not make you high. think about it why would anyone have thought about burning it anyway, would you think about smoking kale lol

I have a long time ago so no big deal and also it is NOT additive. smoked the pot i mean not the kale lol

this thread is very educational as well there is a lot I never knew before reading it and went out and looked them up and yep very interesting.

esspecially WHY it is illegal will surprise you!! not what you expect.

We have been lied to all of our lives about so many things this is just one more

.Home

• hey Chattanoog! i was going to recommend the same thread as Blue Eyes did. here's the link:

http://www.goneraw.com/node/18646

it offers some ideas for making

• Here is an interesting publication for you....

Health_Concerns: WHAT ARE THE MEDICAL DANGERS OF MARIJUANA USE?

I must preface these statements with the remark that there is still a great deal of research to be done concerning the effects of marijuana on the health of humans due to the fact that widespread marijuana use has only become prevalent in this country within the last three decades, so the effects of long-term use are just beginning to become apparent. I should also add that in making these observations, I have concentrated on the risks of smoking natural marijuana, since it is the most effective method of ingesting its active cannabinoids.

Marijuana has often been touted as one of the safest recreational substances available. This is perhaps true; many reputable scientific studies support the conclusion that cocaine, heroine, alcohol, and even cigarettes are more dangerous to the user?s health than marijuana. In addition, the celebrated pharmacological properties of cannabis have led thirty-six states to permit its use as a therapeutic drug for, among others, those suffering from AIDS; various painful, incurable and debilitating illnesses; the harmful side effects of cancer chemotherapy, and glaucoma. Additional research is being conducted concerning the use of marijuana on the treatment of anxiety and mental disorders.

Nonetheless, it would be fallacious to conclude that because the chemicals in marijuana have been found to present fewer dangers than some very harmful substances, the medical or recreational use of marijuana is perfectly safe. In a recreational context, marijuana has been shown to affect health, brain function, and memory. And in a medical context, marijuana is like any other powerful prescription drug: it has potentially dangerous side effects, and the decision to use it to treat patients must involve the same balancing test as the one required for chemotherapy or AZT: do the therapeutic effects of the drug outweigh its harmful effects? Though there are many more studies to be done on this issue, current data shows that the answer to this question may not always be "yes."

EFFECTS OF HABITUAL MARIJUANA USE ON THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

The most potent argument against the use of marijuana to treat medical disorders is that marijuana may cause the acceleration or aggravation of the very disorders it is being used to treat.

Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Studies further suggest that marijuana is a general "immunosuppressant" whose degenerative influence extends beyond the respiratory system. Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker?s body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. Obviously, this suggests the conclusion, which is well-supported by scientific studies, that the use of marijuana as a medical therapy can and does have a very serious negative effect on patients with pre-existing immune deficits resulting from AIDS, organ transplantation, or cancer chemotherapy, the very conditions for which marijuana has most often been touted and suggested as a treatment. It has also been shown that marijuana use can accelerate the progression of HIV to full-blown AIDS and increase the occurrence of infections and Kaposi?s sarcoma. In addition, patients with weak immune systems will be even less able to defend themselves against the various respiratory cancers and conditions to which consistent marijuana use has been linked, and which are discussed briefly under "Respiratory Illnesses."

In conclusion, it seems that the potential dangers presented by the medical use of marijuana may actually contribute to the dangers of the diseases which it would be used to combat. Therefore, I suggest that marijuana should not be permitted as a therapy, at least until a good deal more conclusive research has been completed concerning its debilitating effect on the immune system.

For more on this topic, please see Donald P. Tashkin, M.D., "Effects of Marijuana on the Lung and Its Immune Defenses," Secretary's Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Intiative: Resource Papers, March 1997, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention. Pages 33-51 of this address can be found at the website of the Indiana Prevention Resource Center at Indiana University, located at http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/druginfo/tashkin- marijuana.html.

RESPIRATORY ILLNESSES

The main respiratory consequences of smoking marijuana regularly (one joint a day) are pulmonary infections and respiratory cancer, whose connection to marijuana use has been strongly suggested but not conclusively proven. The effects also include chronic bronchitis, impairment in the function of the smaller air passages, inflammation of the lung, the development of potentially pre-cancerous abnormalities in the bronchial lining and lungs, and, as discussed, a reduction in the capabilities of many defensive mechanisms within the lungs.

Marijuana smoke and cigarette smoke contain many of the same toxins, including one which has been identified as a key factor in the promotion of lung cancer. This toxin is found in the tar phase of both, and it should be noted that one joint has four times more tar than a cigarette, which means that the lungs are exposed four-fold to this toxin and others in the tar. It has been concretely established that smoking cigarettes promotes lung cancer (which causes more than 125,000 deaths in the US every year), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis and emphysema) and increased incidence of respiratory tract infections. This implies, but does not establish, that smoking marijuana may lead to some of the same results as smoking cigarettes. It is notable that several reports indicate an unexpectedly large proportion ofmarijuana users among cases of lung cancer and cancers of the oral cavity,pharynx, and larynx. Thus, it appears that the use of marijuana as a medicine has the potential to further harm an already ill patient in the same way that taking up regular cigarette smoking would, particularly in light of the fact that those patients for whom marijuana is recommended are already poorly equipped to fight off these infections and diseases.

For more information, please see the Tashkin website mentioned at the end of the section on immune disorders. See also:

* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/mrr/ 21.96.10.html, for information on the link between chemicals contained in marijuana and lung cancer.

* http://www.marijuananews.com/latest_research_finds_that_heavy.htm, for an article concerning the link between marijuana and cancer, with commentary

MENTAL HEALTH, BRAIN FUNCTION, AND MEMORY

It has been suggested that marijuana is at the root of many mental disorders, including acute toxic psychosis, panic attacks (one of the very conditions it is being used experimentally to treat), flashbacks, delusions, depersonalization, hallucinations, paranoia, depression, and uncontrollable aggressiveness. Marijuana has long been known to trigger attacks of mental illness, such as bipolar (manic-depressive) psychosis and schizophrenia. This connection with mental illness should make health care providers for terminally ill patients and the patients themselves, who may already be suffering from some form of clinical depression, weigh very carefully the pros and cons of adopting a therapeutic course of marijuana.

In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Mental disorders connected with marijuana use merit their own category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) IV, published by the American Psychiatric Association. These include Cannabis Intoxication (consisting of impaired motor coordination, anxiety, impaired judgment, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal, and often includes perceptual disturbances; Cannabis Intoxication Delirium (memory deficit, disorientation); Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Delusions; Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Hallucinations; and Cannabis Induced Anxiety Disorder.

In addition, marijuana use has many indirect effects on health. Its effect on coordination, perception, and judgment means that it causes a number of accidents, vehicular and otherwise.

For further information, you may find the following sites helpful:

* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/reality/updatejl.html, for information on links between marijuana use and mental health risks.

* www.sarnia.com/GROUPS/ANTIDRUG/mrr/21.96.10.html, for more information on the indirect effects of marijuana on health

* http://www.adf.org.au/drughit, the Australian Drug Foundation?s website

* http://marijuananews.com/a_safe_ high_.htm, a reprint of New Science magazine?s "Marijuana Special Report: A Safe High?" with commentary

* http://marijuananews.com/claim_four.htm, an article about the similarity of long-term marijuana use?s effect on the brain to that of "hard" drugs, with commentary

* www.drugs.indiana.edu/publications/iprc/misc/smokescreen.html, for general information on the health risks of marijuana.

* http://www.health.org, the homepage of the National Clearinghouse on Alcohol and Drug Information, for general information on marijuana.

• chattanoog

you ever used a vaporizer? I've heard positive things about them from people who prefer using them to smoking or eating it. Just a thought :)

• waterbaby12347, 1 joint is max 4 cigarettes, no way in the world thats its 40, and also thats only tar we are talking about here, into cigarettes over 200 chemicals are inserted to increase nicotine absorption, non of which are found in marijuana, so its really unfair to say that one joint is equal to 40 cigarettes, also there are many others way to use cannabis, you can eat it(also with raw oils not only cooked), you can use a vaporizer which vaporizes the THC and all the others cannabiniods but doesn't burn all the other material so you are left only with clean vapor and not smoke, and you can use a bhang-water pipe which cleans 80% of the harmful chemicals in the smoke, I have been smoking on and off since I was fiften(today I'm 20) and in the last 3 months I've been smoking everyday about 2 joints and I feel perfectly fine, not even the most tiny cough.

This is a post of mine on this from another thread:

Cannabis is the tree of life a god given gift to us, not only the flowers but the entire plant, for fiber&food, but one has to use it PROPERLY and for the right reasons, cannabis will enhance yourself, use it wrongly and it will enhance the wrongness! use it right and it will open up doors to your inner soul and take you to places you never thought exist, as far as health concerns, smoke is bad, so best ways to use it are either a vaporizer, eating it, and using a water pipe(bong), with that said, even in a joint, the worst way of using it, the pros outshine the cons by a lot.

Here's a recipe for cannacoco oil, its not 100% raw but given coco oil high resistance to heat to me it seems pretty ok:

Whole Marijuana in Water with Coconut Oil

(Use 1 ounce cannabis to 14-16 ounces of Coconut Oil)

1. Simmer cannabis in a small pot half-full of water for about one hour, stirring occasionally.

2. Add coconut oil; stirring gently, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.

3. Let sit for 2 days (slow extraction process - this does NOT degrade the oil, and so is more in line with your raw foods philospohy).

4. Reheat until oil is melted.

5. Strain, refrigerate and separate the oil from the water:

A. Line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth and place over pot or bowl at least as large as pot containing oil/water/cannabis mix

B. Pour mixture over cheesecloth-line strainer; allow to cool until cool enough to handle; remove herby cheesecloth from strainer

C. Twist the cheesecloth bundle to wring-out your herb; if desired (to extract maximum amount of oil from cannabis material), you can pour 1-2 cups of boiling water over your cannabis cloth pouch while it rests in the strainer - then squeeze out this additional water as well

D. Pour liquid into a pot that fits in your 'fridge. Cover, let cool, then refrigerate this water/oil mixture for at least 24 hours. The oil will harden on top.

E. After 24 hours, separate oil from water by first removing a pie-shaped wedge from top, then pull off all remaining oil chunks

F. Dry the oil by placing it on a paper towel and gently patting off excess water from bottom; bottom surface of oil that was in contact with water might be mushy. You can scrape it off if desired and use it in a recipe that can tolerate a bit of moisture in it (authors recommend brownies).

G. Now you have chunks of MJ infused Coconut oil (they will be white when solid because of the oil's opaque nature, but will turn green again when heated); place dried chunks in small pan and melt until liquid

H. Pour into jars*; cool, cover and refrigerate. If you're not going to use the oil within a week, store it in the freezer. Remove from refrigerator/freezer and allow to soften before use.

*The authors suggest storing oil in wide-mouth mason jars for easy measurement in recipes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another recipe for 100% raw cannabis infused olive oil(I've personally used it and it works great, only down thing is the time for making it, oh taste isn't great either..):

Piece apart dried buds (do not grind).

Place buds in mason jar (or other air-tight glass container) and cover the buds with oil (maybe a 1/4 - 1/5 inch of oil above the top of the buds... you may need to add a little more oil throughout the infusion process, IF the buds swell and soak up the oil).

Stir oil/bud mixture well.

Seal container.

Store in a dark place, like a closed cupboard or pantry for 3-4 weeks.

Vigorously shake mixture daily; remove lid to "burp" mixture once each week. While the jar is open, sniff for signs of spoilage; visually inspect for mold. These problems are unlikely with olive oil, as it is highly resistant to oxidation, but better safe than sorry.

At the end of the infusion cycle (3 weeks MINIMUM), strain oil through cheesecloth, removing all plant material. Be sure to "press" the plant material during removal (gather the ends of the cheesecloth around a wooden spoon and twist to "wring out" the oil soaked cannabis).

The remaining oil is your cannabis infusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannabis is anti-inflammatory, antinociceptive, anti-ulcer and antitumor and that is just a part of its activities! the reason it works so perfectly with our body is that the same naturals chemicals that are inside the plant are also used in a system in our body called "endocannabinoid system", you can read more about it at : http://www.endocannabinoid.net/, so it basically just enhance that system, cannabis works WITH our body and NOT AGAINST it like other "drugs", our body has receptors specially designed to pick up those chemicals and use them because of our build in system, if you are interested in some more knowledge you can roam around http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez it holds all recent scientific researches, write there, cannabis, thc, endocannabinoid, cbd, cannabinoid or anything else that is related to cannabis, names of diseases also would give good results, also write down a search for "mechoulam R" its the name of an Israeli professor who does lots of work on cannabis medical use, he is the person(well he and he's team) who first broke down cannabis's chemical composition in the 60's and subsequently discovered the endocannabinoid system.

Also another word on dealers and drug trafficking, I agree with every word on the wrongness of that in today's world, unfortunately because cannabis is illegal in most of the world, cannabis usually comes to us in less the pleasant ways, and you can also never know what is really in there, for example in Israel is it common knowledge that Adolan(synthetic heroin) is added to hash to make it addictive.. the only way to avoid it is growing yourself, which can be done completely stealthy and if you keep your mouth shut you have almost 0% chance of getting caught, or buying from someone who grows it responsibly.

• I personally don't care what other people do in their "off" time. Whether it's a couple drinks, or pot. It they are driving under the influence, or showing up to work with me- then I am very much against it. Just as with alcohol- some people seem to be able to use it more responsibly then others. Where I live, it is also illegal, and they also test for it where I work. I've never had the desire to try it (though I will relax with some wine or beer occasionally). Unfortunately, most of the people I know who partake in pot do NOT do it responsibly. Kind of gives me a pretty bad impression of it (whether fairly or not). I also do not think that just because something is raw that it is good for me (I also don't believe everything that is cooked is poison either though). But, I am apalled that it is illegal for true medical use (glacoma, cancer patients).

• chattanoog

The main thing to consider is.... The tar & smoke and what it does to your lungs which effects your entire body...

One joint equals 40, yes forty cigarettes as far as the amount of damage it does to your system... What benefit could you possible be getting from something so damaging to your ability to breath??? Is it worth it???

EDIT ~ I agree that the 40 should be 4, but the 40 was taught in medical class... Therefore I repeated it without double checking... Sorry

If you don't mind having emphysema, coughing and choking for the rest of your life, then go for it... just know, getting up out of a chair and walking to the bathroom, for yrs becomes almost impossible, until it is... Eating is like work because of lack of oxygen... Great way to loose weight in your later yrs...

Now what do YOU think???

edit: ~ emphysema and C.O.P.D. are basically the same thing... ( Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

• Personally. I LOVE pot.

I've smoked it since I was 14. There's been times when I was a stoner & I was able to stop smoking it just like that with no problems and go several months without smoking it. So I don't agree when people say it's addicting plus it was scientifically proven NOT to be addicting.

When I have smoked pot I have never had a bad experience. All it does is make me giggle & enjoy things & the people around me even more. Have I ever had really bad munchies while raw? I havent seen a problem with it. I was high, i was hungry & I enjoyed some fresh strawberries & blackberries lightly drizzled in agave nectar & a young coconut. [[probably the best snack when your high Evaaa]] lol

oh & I also use a vaporizer.

Also I prefer pot over alcohol ANY DAY. Alcohol ALWAYS makes me sick to my stomach, tired, and depressed. not my style. I also grew up around alcoholism and it just brings back bad feelings.

• Here are a few videos about medicinal marijuana... http://namastebeatz.ning.com/forum/topics/run-from-the-cure-the-rick

One Love

• I see there is a lot of false propaganda in this post. First of all: there is no known death of marijuana.

And it is not bad for the lungs. It's pretty good acctually. Astma can be treated by smoking marijuana. The side-effects are so few and so harmless that the worlds beloved alcohol can be seen as an extreme death-drug.

Hey! There is a movie about this. It's called The Union. Check it out here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=uThCSq65NaHE2wLoo-mvBw&q=the+union

• I definitely need to evaluate my love-hate relationship with weed. I enjoy it because I LOVE thinking, writing, and reading when I'm high. But honestly, when I AM raw (and I'm not at the moment, sadly, but trying to get there), weed tastes disgusting and FEELS unhealthy. Then again, I use a pipe, and not a vaporizor or water bong. It's the time that it feels unhealthy that I genuinely think it's unhealthy. There's so much talk about listening to your body these days...and that's what I'm doing!

• chattanoog. you should try a vaporizor. they are really wonderful. i need to get a water bong because i cannot yet afford the vaporizor i'd like, but i have used one many times and they really are nice. you can def. notice a difference. or try "cooking" with it. i wonder if there is a way to make some sort of weed infused coconut oil or something... talk about decadent raw desserts!! mmm. and there are some sort of vaporizer-like pipes that i am intrigued by (about $80). if anyone has used one let me know what you think!

but anyhow (and obviously) i like weed. i have never felt a desire to try any other drugs. alcohol feels gross to me. i prefer a kombucha!! maybe a good beer or glass of wine once in a while, but no more than that!! and i remember the one time i had a puff of a cigarette because i was always dissing them, but hadn't ever tried one. DISGUSTING. my asthma flared up almost instantly. it was horrid. but weed has always been good to me... and i support local, organic growers so its a win win, right?!! ;) ha ha

• Robinhood, the marijuana chemicals are good for asthma, but if its been smoked in a joint\pipe there is also harmful smoke, its so beneficial to asthma that in Israel you can get a medical marijuana license for asthma.

• i really enjoy smoking pot 2-3 times a week. its a great stress reliever, and allows me to just relax and watch a movie, or listen to music, and really be in the now. im definitely a happier person when im a little bit high.

at the same time, ive gone through periods of smoking too much, and that has never felt good physically or socially. its not good to be dependent on a substance to keep yourself happy or interested in life.

i think the cleanest way to use pot is to get a vaporizer. and i definitely do not agree with the sentiment that marijuana causes cancer. himalayan pink salt is more cancer causing than weed. a clogged liver/gallbladder and rotting food in the intestine is the underlying cause of most disease.

as for munchies, you have to find raw options that do it for you. personally fresh juicy watermelon is amazing. or coconut bliss ice cream (vegan not raw).

• I'm not a smoker, don't ever plan on becoming one. But I have heard there are healthy side effects of marijuana. I say if it isnt hurting you or anyone else. And if it isn't all that bad for you, go for it.

• I'd say it's definitely a personal choice whether it's right or wrong for you. I personally feel as if I need to quit smoking VERY soon--or at least go a lot longer without having it. I'm not comfortable with feeling so foggy-headed after I smoke, and forgetful. I take pride in my intelligence and on weed I just feel dumb. Not to mention the several times my body tries to reject what I'm giving it. Now that I'm more in tune with my body, I know I must personally find a way to quit.

I appreciate everyone's comments! I was curious to see if weed was off-limits for raw foodists, so I guess not!

• hmmm............. all I have to say is.....that cigarrett smoke makes my asthma worse, and the green has not made it worse, all is in the past.

I ONLY got asthma a few years ago...... when there was a BAD wild fire here, and the smoke lasted for weeks!!! Even in WELL venilated clinics, you could Still see smoke in the hall ways!!! I was a LOT younger, never had asthma and got it after that..............

Once worked in a bar...... could NOT work there even a month................ the cigaret smoke made me SICk!!! Literally................... other smoke.............. didnt make me sick.................. wierd?

I dont understand.................??

PS, its currently smokey here............ hasnt been like this in a few years...........................

• Not so weird ta2dqt, even though the smoke is generally bad, cannabis has chemical components that are very good for asthma, they increase blood flow, widens the bronchi&relaxes the lungs, that's why smoking when high is much easier then when non high, as I said a few posts above, so beneficial that in Israel you can get a medical marijuana license for asthma, obviously though if you suffer from asthma smoking is the least preferred choice of intake, vaporizing or eating it would be much more beneficial.

• mdcmdc

Just saw this on MSN & thought of your question

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31766234/?pg=2#Health_PVN_HealthVices

Pot: Regrettable

Sorry, Cheech, but scientists have determined that this habit is as unwholesome as tobacco.

"We used to think that marijuana was safe, but it contains many of the same cancer-producing chemicals as cigarette smoke and has the same health-harming effects," says Diane Stover, MD, chief of pulmonary service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. Ex-tokers would be wise to follow the same advice given above for ex-smokers.

Doesn't sound like pot belongs to a healthy lifestyle. And as an asthmatic, I will add that inhaling smoke of any kind makes lung life more miserable.

• Above statement is more false fear mongering from the Gov, quote from another site

"Over at CannabisNews, there is a member who just happens to be a chemist- I trust his view.

http://cannabisnews.com/news/24/thread24883.shtml

Again, the carcinogen(s) referred to are........polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH's), which are associated with ANY material/substance that is combustible....the most notorious source of PAH's is a back yard grill.......PAH's as carcinogens are relatively harmless when compared to the other carcinogen associated with burned tobacco and ONLY with tobacco, and those are radio-active isotopes of uranium-238...eveytime I see the "marijuana smoke has x carcinogens" or "marijuana has x time the carcinogens of tobacco smoke", I love pointing out this FACT....PAH's and radiation or just PAH's? Do the math......End of line

Tobacco/tobacco smoke contains radio-active isotopes of U-238, cannabis/cannabis smoke does not. I attached a link to ATSDR/CDC site regarding PAH's, it is an accurate site for dealing with organic molecules/contaminants...Happy Father's Day to all of the dads on CNews........End of line

* http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts69.html

Ever notice that there are signs by the front doors of most grocery stores about them selling stuff that may be carcinogenic? Doesn't seem to slow down sales any.

And here's a little tip from a site discussing cancer-

http://www.drugs.com/cancer.html

"Carcinogenic foods -- There are certain foods that contain carcinogens. Foods that should be limited include salted, pickled, and smoked foods, such as pickles or smoked fish, and meats treated with nitrites. Foods that should be eliminated from the diet include meats that have been charred over a grill, as the charred area is carcinogenic. Taking Vitamin C, either through the diet or by supplementation, may protect against the cancer-causing effects of carcinogenic foods. "

So, if vitamin C may protect against the cancers caused by the larger amount of PAHs in BBQ meats, it would stand to reason that the smaller dose of PAHs that you'd get from smoking cannabis would likewise be canceled out by taking some vitamin C.

Granny's advice-get some 500 mg chewables- they are GREAT for your cottonmouth and it won't hurt you to get a little extra vitamin C in your diet. Check your local health food store for some without artificial colors and flavors (also suspected carcinogens). But even the "el cheapo" store brands would be better than not taking any vitamin C. Just remember that too much vitamin C may give some folks diarrhea, so keep it down to a tablet or three a day.

Or just eat more fruit- a perfectly ripe peach or strawberry is absolutely heavenly when you have the munchies!"

• Not only cannabis do not causes cancer is it an anti-cancer medicine, these are some summarys of studies that were done in recent times, all from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, and there are endless more there if you just search cannabis+disease name.

Cannabis sativa L. preparations have been used in medicine for millenia. However, concern over the dangers of abuse led to the banning of the medicinal use of marijuana in most countries in the 1930s. Only recently, marijuana and individual natural and synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists and antagonists, as well as chemically related compounds, whose mechanism of action is still obscure, have come back to being considered of therapeutic value. However, their use is highly restricted. Despite the mild addiction to cannabis and the possible enhancement of addiction to other substances of abuse, when combined with cannabis, the therapeutic value of cannabinoids is too high to be put aside. Numerous diseases, such as anorexia, emesis, pain, inflammation, multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders (Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, Tourette's syndrome, Alzheimer's disease), epilepsy, glaucoma, osteoporosis, schizophrenia, cardiovascular disorders, cancer, obesity, and metabolic syndrome-related disorders, to name just a few, are being treated or have the potential to be treated by cannabinoid agonists/antagonists/cannabinoid-related compounds. In view of the very low toxicity and the generally benign side effects of this group of compounds, neglecting or denying their clinical potential is unacceptable--instead, we need to work on the development of more selective cannabinoid receptor agonists/antagonists and related compounds, as well as on novel drugs of this family with better selectivity, distribution patterns, and pharmacokinetics, and--in cases where it is impossible to separate the desired clinical action and the psychoactivity--just to monitor these side effects carefully.

We have recently demonstrated that two plant-derived cannabinoids, Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol (CBD), are neuroprotective in an animal model of Parkinson's disease (PD), presumably because of their antioxidant properties. To further explore this issue, we examined the neuroprotective effects of a series of cannabinoid-based compounds, with more selectivity for different elements of the cannabinoid signalling system, in rats with unilateral lesions of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons caused by local application of 6-hydroxydopamine. We used the CB1 receptor agonist arachidonyl-2-chloroethylamide (ACEA), the CB2 receptor agonist HU-308, the non-selective agonist WIN55,212-2, and the inhibitors of the endocannabinoid inactivation AM404 and UCM707, all of them administered i.p. Daily administration of ACEA or WIN55,212-2 did not reverse 6-hydroxydopamine-induced dopamine (DA) depletion in the lesioned side, whereas HU-308 produced a small recovery that supports a possible involvement of CB2 but not CB1 receptors. AM404 produced a marked recovery of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced DA depletion and tyrosine hydroxylase deficit in the lesioned side. Possibly, this is caused by the antioxidant properties of AM404, which are derived from the presence of a phenolic group in its structure, rather than by the capability of AM404 to block the endocannabinoid transporter, because UCM707, another transporter inhibitor devoid of antioxidant properties, did not produce the same effect. None of these effects were observed in non-lesioned contralateral structures. We also examined the timing for the effect of CBD to provide neuroprotection in this rat model of PD. We found that CBD, as expected, was able to recover 6-hydroxydopamine-induced DA depletion when it was administered immediately after the lesion, but it failed to do that when the treatment started 1 week later. In addition, the effect of CBD implied an upregulation of mRNA levels for Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase, a key enzyme in endogenous defenses against oxidative stress. In summary, our results indicate that those cannabinoids having antioxidant cannabinoid receptor-independent properties provide neuroprotection against the progressive degeneration of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons occurring in PD. In addition, the activation of CB2 (but not CB1) receptors, or other additional mechanisms, might also contribute to some extent to the potential of cannabinoids in this disease.

• I think great & have very deep thoughts when im high.

• I love cannabis. I'm an avid every day user and it most certainly keeps my anxiety at bay, cures my insomnia, and makes me a much more pleasant person all around. I avidly support its legalization and also try to experience every one of its uses, paper, food, beauty products. you name it, i'm for it.

• cannabis/cannabinoids/thc pastes along with high doses of vitamins & a raw food diet WILL cure cancer.

hemp is simply amazing and will save our planet.

i have my most motivating/deepest thoughts when im high.

I see marijuana as natural.. God put it on this earth for human consumption.

hemp and marijuana are possibly the greatest plants to grow on this planet.

read current information on marijuana facts and policy changes and the leading news in

medical marijuana and its uses at mmp.org or norml.org.

check out Hempfest Seattle August 15-16 2009 in seattle.

or check out my myspace page for some of the latest news in the fight to repeal prohibition on natures gift.

www.myspace.com/bandaidvicepresident

• I used to date someone who smoked out of a large water bong daily, probably about 3-4 1/8s a day for the 2 years that we were dating, less before that but overall smoked weed daily for 8+ years and he woke up every morning and coughed for about an hour, sounded like he was dying, and sometimes there was blood. He did not smoke cigarettes btw. I don't know about the physically addictive aspects of marijuana but psychologically he could not function without it. Basically to this day he destroys himself and his life in order to keep marijuana in it.

This is obviously just an isolated incident involving one person and I'm sure there are a number of different reasons other than marijuana that could have caused these things, just offering my experience with marijuana. Also all of the friends he had that I would consider to be highly addictive were much more flighty, inconsistent, irresponsible and sometimes even dangerous, than the ones that smoked pot on the side for leisure etc. (this is based on what I saw of about 50-100 people who came to our apartment in the 2 years we dated)

I personally have never enjoyed smoking it, it has always made me paranoid and trapped me in negative and often frightening thoughts. That's just my personality though it seems, as I've had these tendencies while on other drugs as well. I'm a spaz =X

Thanks for posting this tho, interesting responses.